+ 2015 Motorcycles
+ 2014 Motorcycles
+ 2013 Motorcycles
+ 2012 Motorcycles
+ 2011 Motorcycles
+ 2010 Motorcycles
+ 2009 Motorcycles
+ 2008 Motorcycles
+ 2007 Motorcycles
+ 2006 Motorcycles
+ 2005 Motorcycles
+ 2004 Motorcycles
+ 2003 Motorcycles
+ 2002 Motorcycles
+ 2001 Motorcycles
+ 2000 Motorcycles
+ 1970-1999 Models
+ 2009-2013 ATVs
+ Concept Bikes
Guides & Resources
+ Beginner's Guide
+ Bikers Dictionary
+ Buyers Guide
+ Concept Bike Guide
+ Compare Bike/ATVs
+ Fuel Economy Guide
+ Maintenance Guide
+ Mfg Compendium
+ Model History Guide
+ Motorcycle Cool Wall
+ Motorcycle Events
+ Motorcycle News
+ Motorcycle Reviews
+ Performance Guide
+ Product Reviews
+ Restoration Tips
+ Specs Handbook
+ Tire/Tyre Guide
+ TMW Museum
+ TMW Interviews
+ Travel Guide
+ Shopping Guide
+ Unit Converter Guide
+ Moto Guzzi
+ MV Agusta
+ Royal Enfield
+ Motorcycle Forums
+ Photo Gallery
+ Become a TMW fan!
+ On Facebook
+ On Google Plus
+ On Twitter
+ On YouTube
+ RSS News Feed
+ RSS Forum Feed
+ Old Photo Galleries
+ Contests & Prizes
+ TMW T-Shirts
+ Search This Site
+ Add us to your site
Advertising & Media
+ Advertise on TMW
+ Our Sponsors
+ Contact Us
+ TMW Recognition
+ TMW Staff
+ Our Motorcycles
+ Our Ride Photos
+ Site Map
Kawasaki Mule 4000
Back to 2009 Kawasaki ATV Quad Models Index Page
photos to enlarge.
They make great desktop images.
- 2009 Kawasaki Mule 4000
2009 Kawasaki Mule 4000
Fuel-Injected Power and a New Rugged Look
The foundation of Kawasakis full-size industrial-grade utility vehicle line, the two-wheel drive Mule 4000 is a step up in cargo and towing capacity from the compact Mule 600 series, thanks to its full-size chassis and a more powerful engine, now equipped with digital fuel injection (DFI). The Mule 4000 also features a fully-automatic transmission, locking rear differential and a tilting cargo bed.
For 2009, the new Mule 4000 is powered by a liquid-cooled 617cc four-stroke V-twin. Managed by a digital Electronic Control Unit (ECU), its DFI system compensates for variations in atmospheric pressure, engine and air temperature. This helps make engine starting smoother and more consistent, gives better throttle response and its improved fuel metering helps reduce fuel consumption. The system incorporates an automatic fast idle speed control, which activates when the engine is cold, eliminating the need for a manual choke. The system also regulates maximum engine speed, eliminating the need for a mechanical governor.
The Mule 4000 utilizes a continuously variable transmission (CVT) to provide quick acceleration and efficient pulling power. Dependable, low-maintenance shaft drive transfers power to a dual-mode differential that can be locked to maximize rear-wheel traction, or unlocked to improve handling and minimize ground disturbance when making tight turns.
In addition to an accurate, light-steering rack-and-pinion system, the easy-to-operate controls on the Mule 4000 are positioned to maximize comfort and convenience. The gear selector is located on the dash, within easy reach. The coolant temperature warning light is easy to see and the headlights are activated by a convenient push-button switch. Instrumentation also includes an hour meter, and horn. The Mule 4000 also has a convenient air restriction gauge to indicate when the air filter needs to be cleaned or replaced, and its fuse box and oil dipstick are easily accessed, thanks to their under seat location.
The Mule 4000s all-new bodywork is designed to complement the styling of modern pickup trucks, with which it so often works side-by-side. The body panels are manufactured from a durable, color-molded plastic that helps hide minor scuffs and scratches. Its front hood can be opened with the pull of a dash-mounted knob and allows access to a now deeper storage space thats equipped with convenient D-rings to help secure cargo. Additionally, two levers make opening and closing the tailgate a secure and easy process. The roomy cab on the Mule is surrounded by the large-diameter steel tube frame structure that meets federal Roll Over Protective Structure (ROPS) requirements.
Convenience features on the new Mule 4000 arent just limited to easy-access latches or controls; they also extend to owner-friendly features like the winch-ready tabs located under the front grille, which greatly-simplify the winch mounting process.
The chassis of the Mule 4000 features MacPherson strut front suspension for a smooth, comfortable ride. The rear suspension utilizes a DeDion-type leaf-spring arrangement thats designed to handle heavy loads, yet provide a smooth ride when the cargo box is empty. Sealed, self-adjusting hydraulic drum brakes at all four wheels offer progressive stopping power, and large 23-inch tires at all four corners provide maximum traction for a variety of surfaces.
The Mule 4000 utility vehicle can carry 800 pounds in its steel cargo bed and tow up to 1,200 pounds when equipped with the optional draw bar. Other popular accessories include an enclosed cab, cab heater, snow plow, and soft or hard tops. These and many other Authentic Kawasaki Accessories are available through Kawasaki dealers.
Features and Benefits:
At a glance
- Digital Fuel Injection
- All-New Styling
- New Dashboard
- Two-wheel drive
Liquid Cooled, V-Twin Engine
- Four-stroke, 617cc V-Twin industrial engine produces exceptional torque at low engine speeds
- Modern four-stroke design with overhead valves for efficient running and good fuel economy
- Large capacity radiator and fan maintain consistent engine temperatures, even in hot climates
- Rubber engine mounts minimize vibration, noise and wear to maximize operation comfort and diminish fatigue
Digital Fuel Injection
- Computer controlled fuel injection system automatically compensates for atmospheric pressure, air and engine temperature, for easy, prompt engine starting under a variety of conditions
- Automatic fast idle speed control eliminates the need for a choke, allowing the operator to drive off immediately after a cold engine start
- Throttle bodies feature sub-throttle valves for optimum performance and drivability. The sub throttles are located behind the main throttle valves and controlled by the ECU for smooth throttle response
- Automatic digital ignition system helps ensure smooth efficient operation
- Maximum engine speed is controlled by the ECU, eliminating the need for a mechanical governor
- Offers easy engine operation and reduced maintenance requirements
Cab Frame Air Intake
- High and dry design draws engine intake and CVT cooling air from the top of the cab frame where theres less dust, so the air filter stays cleaner longer
Environmentally Friendly Emissions
- DFI precision reduces fuel consumption and cuts exhaust emissions
- Positive crankcase pressure ventilation system sends blow-by gasses back through the intake tract to be burned by the engine
- Muffler features a U.S. Forest Service-approved spark arrestor
Kawasaki Automatic Power-Drive System (KAPS)
- Fully automatic continuously variable transmission (CVT) features forward and reverse, and helps keep the engine in the right operating rpm for a variety of vehicle speeds, loads, or terrain
- The CVT has a wide spread of drive ratios for quick acceleration and ample pulling power
- An open sided drive pulley cools better for longer belt life
- Offers adjustable belt deflection
Dual Mode Differential
- Dual-mode rear differential can be locked for extra pulling power and maximum traction or unlocked for more-nimble handling, or when traversing delicate terrain
Independent Strut-Type Front Suspension
- MacPherson strut long-travel front suspension provides a comfortable ride and excellent load-carrying capability
- Stiffer springs help prevent bottoming and provide increased ground clearance
DeDion Rear Suspension
- Overload-style leaf springs can handle heavy loads, yet provide a smooth ride when the cargo box is empty
- Semi-independent action offers improved handling over traditional leaf spring layouts
4-Wheel, Self-Adjusting Sealed Hydraulic Drum Brakes
- Four wheel brakes are self-adjusting
- The brake drums have an added flange and seal to resist mud and water contamination
- Low maintenance design
Wheels and Tires
- 23-inch tires with stiff sidewalls for extra ground clearance and an improved ride
- The rear wheel bearings use two rollers in one large bearing for added durability
- The wheel bearing seals on all four wheels have three lips for better protection
- New body is a rugged, modern design with truck-like styling
- Now has dual glove boxes and cupholders for both the driver and passenger
Front Hood with Storage Tub
- Offers quick, easy access with the pull of a dash-mounted knob
- Deeper under hood storage tub holds cargo out of site
- Includes four D-rings for securing loads
Tilting Cargo Bed
- Steel cargo bed can carry up to 800 pounds
- Tilts for quick unloading
- Thick tailgate panel and secure locking pins reduce noise and vibration, add durability
- Adjustable bed latches
Rugged and Capable
- Can tow up to 1,200 lbs with optional Kawasaki Accessory towing hitch
- Meets federal Roll Over Protective Structure (ROPS) requirements for wheeled tractors under SAE J1194, 7.1.1, 7.1.2, 7.4, and 7.5, and also meets FMVSS 216 roof crush resistance requirement
- Bench seat provides comfortable seating for two
- Durable chassis includes winch-ready mounts to simplify winch installation
- Oil dipstick and filler tube are located under the seat, for quick, easy access
- Cyclone-type engine air cleaner has flow meter to indicate when filter requires maintenance
- Convenient automotive-style fuse box uses easy-to-find blade-type fuses
- Rack-and-pinion steering is light and precise
- Horn and 12V DC outlet with 10 amp capacity
- Parking brake and coolant temperature warning lights are easier to see
- Push button headlight switch activates 35-watt cat-eye headlights
- Hour meter and fuel gauge included as standard equipment
Popular Accessory Items
- Soft or Hard Top
- Enclosed Cab
- Snow Plow
2009 Kawasaki Mule 4000 - USA Specifications
American MSRP: $8,199
Engine: Four-stroke, liquid-cooled, overhead valve V-twin
Bore x stroke: 76 x 68mm
Compression ratio: 10.3: 1
Carburetor: Digital Fuel Injection
Air filter: Snorkel-type with cyclone-type two-stage dry replaceable element
Oil filter: Automotive-type spin-on canister
Ignition: Digital electronic
Electrical: 12V DC, 18 amp-hour battery, alternator
Transmission: Continuously variable transmission (CVT) with forward and reverse
Final drive: Shaft, dual-mode rear differential
Exhaust: Muffler with USFS-approved spark arrestor
Tires: 23x11-10 tubeless
Front suspension / wheel travel: Independent, MacPherson strut / 3.9 in.
Rear suspension / wheel travel: Semi-independent, De Dion axle with leaf springs and shocks / 2.8 in.
Brakes: Four-wheel hydraulic drums, sealed
Fuel capacity: 6.2 gal.
Curb Weight 1,312 lb.
Overall length: 118.3 in.
Overall width: 62.0 in.
Overall height: 75.8 in.
Wheelbase: 73.6 in.
Ground clearance: 7.5 in.
Roll over protective structure (ROPS): This structure meets ROPS requirements for wheeled tractors under SAE J1194, 7.1.1, 7.1.2, and 7.5 and also meets FMVSS 216 Roof Crush resistance requirement
Cargo bed dimensions (LxWxH): 46.3 x 51.6 x 11.3 in. / 15.6 cu. ft.
Load capacity: 1,330 lbs.
Cargo bed capacity: 800 lbs.
Towing capacity: 1,200 lbs.
Turning radius: 11.0 ft.
Top speed: 25 mph, governed
Instruments: Parking brake warning light, coolant temperature warning light, horn, 12V DC outlet, (2) 5/21-watt taillight, brake light, (2) 35-watt sealed-beam headlight
Color choices: Woodsman Green, Dark Royal Red
2009 Kawasaki Mule 4000 - Canada Specifications
Canadian MSRP $0
Model not available in Canada
The specifications mentioned here apply to and have been achieved by production models under standard operating conditions. We intend only to give a fair description of the vehicle and its performance capabilities but these specifications may not apply to every machine supplied for sale. Kawasaki Heavy Industries, Ltd. reserves the right to alter specifications without prior notice. Equipment illustrated and specifications may vary to meet individual markets. Available colours may vary by market. Note: Specifications and pricing are subject to change.