geronimo0201
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 1
My Motorcycle: 2009/suzuki/dr650se

New blood

#1 Unread post by geronimo0201 »

:shock: Hi Guys! FYI, I'm not just new in writing blogs and also new in ridding my own bike, normally I borrow my friends bike who inturn steels it out of his brother's garage from time to time. Needless to say we really didn't have enough ridding time as we have to take turns ridding it. However, I've seen your comments and suggestions and I'm glad to say that we're on the same page in terms of apprehension and what to anticipate in choosing the right bike. I just bought myself a brand new 2009 SUZUKI DR650SE and I love it!!!! I know that some of you might stray away from the idea of getting a 650cc I've seen a lot of reviews about this bike and I kinda got mixed feedback, but most of it were good and I have to agree. I live in the Yukon territory and that's in the far north of Canada, and I tell you this is the best place to have a dual sport bike, lots of trails, wide open roads almost no cars or trucks on certain times, beautiful lakes on camp grounds and the wind is very cool even on summer, but you still have to wear your jackets and safety gear on as there's a lot of wildlife crossing the roads. I didn't encounter any bears yet but there's a lot of foxes. If you have a touring bike this is the place to be. I will be posting some pictures soon as I will be travelling some miles with this bike and hopefully join some of you guys on the road. Till then.

noobie
Veteran
Veteran
Sex: Female
My Motorcycle: 2009 Honda Shadow Spirit

Re: New blood

#2 Unread post by noobie »

Hiya Geronimo0201,
I think a 650 is a great idea. My bike is a 750 and I love it. It's plenty light enough, that I don't feel I'm going to drop it and I can zip around corners with confidence.
I mostly ride in city traffic and busy freeways. Canada's country roads sound like a blast!
Send us pix when u can!

Peace Out,
Noobie

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#3 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

:welcome2: geronimo0201!

Ah, the Yukon, I had the opportunity to live up there for a summer thanks to the Canadian Army (Northern wilderness survival leadership course). Beautiful scenery, beautiful mountains and lakes/rivers. I didn't spend much time in Whitehorse but from the Yukon wilderness I saw you are right, a dual sport is the bike to have up there! (not a lot of paved roads I saw). I'd also recommend a windshield as the mosquitoes are like fog in the summer!

Welcome to the TMW community!

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

ZRex
Elite
Elite
My Motorcycle: 2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R & 2005 ZX-12R

#4 Unread post by ZRex »

Welcome

The DR650 is a great bike (a lot of magazine writers swear by them), have fun on it and stay safe.

mogster
Legendary 750
Legendary 750
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: Speed Triple 1050 se '09

#5 Unread post by mogster »

:party: :welcome3: :uk:

All that wilderness riding sounds amazing!
Caw canny!

Mike guess that photo is of the Northern Lights?
MOG
:party:

The roar of her mighty TRIUMPH was heard throughout the land

blues2cruise
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#6 Unread post by blues2cruise »

:welcome2: from British Columbia.

sunshine229
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#7 Unread post by sunshine229 »

Hi and welcome from a Calgarian, turned Brit!

:wave:

I would love to visit the Yukon one day. Canada is such a great country, so diverse and so beautiful, everywhere! :D
Andrea :sun:

geronimo0201
Rookie
Rookie

#8 Unread post by geronimo0201 »

Hey guys the weather is really picking up great!!!! It's cool in the morning but come 11am its just perfect, you can smell the spruce and different vegetation just sprung everywhere hahaha..... I'm enjoying to see critters crossing the street the mountainside is just awesome. Wish you can all be here to see these. There's really nothing like it. Oh and Andrea I was just starring a GSX750 y at the dealer where I bought my bike, awesome ride!!!! :)

Markg1
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: '09 Vrod and '10 Vmax

#9 Unread post by Markg1 »

Welcome, Okay where are those pics!
Life may begin at 30 but it gets real interesting at 140!

geronimo0201
Rookie
Rookie

#10 Unread post by geronimo0201 »

You know what I'm still figuring out how to upload pictures and update my profile with pics. If you can help me that will be great man!!!! I wish its as easy as facebook hahaha....