good morning from Vancouver!

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

Re: good morning from Vancouver!

#111 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Islesfan91 wrote:just rolled over 1000km this morning on my way in to work. Leaving here in an hour to head over to Burnaby Kawasaki for my appointment for the first service. Not too shabby for a newbie in winter time I think!

not the best weather forecast for it today, but right now it's clear and above freezing and the ride in at 5:30 this morning was actually not bad at all and very little traffic to contend with. Not looking forward to heading over the queensborough bridge at 8am during rush hour, but more experience, right?

If you backtrack down to Marine Way and Byrne and head east at Byrne.....it is much easier than if you go down Griffiths/20th to access the bridge. The traffic on 20th backs up so far and it takes a really really really long time to get to the bottom where the light is. So turn right at 10th/Southridge to join up to Bryne and Marine Way.

Islesfan91
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 650R

#112 Unread post by Islesfan91 »

I did do that actually. Had a bad day though. Dropped the bike leaving the dealer after the service. Was a little lightheaded from not eating anything and was too shaky going over a lip I didn't see out the back lane and the front wheel caught it and wrenched around. Broke brake lever (replaced 15 mins later) and some scratches on the fairing. I can replace the fairing for 280.00 but Im going to think about it for a while first. Pretty upset at myself but it's done and I can't undo it. I'll probably replace the fairing but maybe later this year. I was looking left around a dumpster trying to make sure it was clear to go and slowly moving forward and went over the lip. Feel like a tool and upset at myself but what can I do. Just replace the fairing later and at least that's all that got damaged. Damn it though.

madjak30
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006 Yamaha MT-01, 2006 Honda ST1300

#113 Unread post by madjak30 »

That sucks...but now it has some "scars", so you don't have to worry anymore...I would suggest waiting until you are through your first season of riding...you never know...if the scratches are bad, look into touch up paint for now...I'm only saying this because I dropped my bike twice in the first year...one was moving very slow, the other was stopped in my driveway...oops...

You also might want to check at a body shop...they may be able to repair it for less than half of the replacement cost...

Later.
-=-= Remember, if you're not having fun you're doing it wrong!! =-=-

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#114 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Islesfan91 wrote:I did do that actually. Had a bad day though. Dropped the bike leaving the dealer after the service. Was a little lightheaded from not eating anything and was too shaky going over a lip I didn't see out the back lane and the front wheel caught it and wrenched around. Broke brake lever (replaced 15 mins later) and some scratches on the fairing. I can replace the fairing for 280.00 but Im going to think about it for a while first. Pretty upset at myself but it's done and I can't undo it. I'll probably replace the fairing but maybe later this year. I was looking left around a dumpster trying to make sure it was clear to go and slowly moving forward and went over the lip. Feel like a tool and upset at myself but what can I do. Just replace the fairing later and at least that's all that got damaged. Damn it though.
You are now a statistic....like most of us....

Too bad about the drop..but no damage to you except your ego.

Islesfan91
Elite
Elite

#115 Unread post by Islesfan91 »

I guess the toughest thing is that I've been doing really well learning to ride, but I think that was a perfect example of knowing when you shouldn't ride. I should have gone to eat something before picking the bike up. This only reinforces my gf's belief that I'm borderline diabetic. I should have been smarter about it, everytime I don't eat I end up shaky and a bit foggy. Very unsafe situation, just trying to get back into work without missing too much of the day. My knee is pretty sore as is my back but the armour in my pants took most of the fall impact.

I did still enjoy the ride afterwards though slightly nervous initially and still feeling like a complete fool

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#116 Unread post by ceemes »

Congratulation, you are now well and truly becoming one of us. Dropping your bike or having your first off is like a rite of passage, sort of like losing ones virginity. And battle scars on ones plastics is nothing to be ashamed off, just shows you are a rider and not some poser who spend 99% of their time polishing their bike instead of riding their ride. You should see my Connie, more often then not it is covered with road grime and muck along with having more then its fair share of dings and scratches.
Always ask why.

IzoAzlion
Rookie
Rookie
My Motorcycle: None yet, looking at Ninja/CBR 250

#117 Unread post by IzoAzlion »

So I found this (this = Isles' bike) over here as the ER6-F.

And its kinda made me fall in love.

Heading to the dealer over the weekend to go sit on a few, will make sure I sit on this and find out more about it. The only thing I dislike a bit is the exhaust is kinda 'hidden.'

But damn beautiful otherwise, if its a good fit and doesn't feel too heavy, I might be swayed.

madjak30
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006 Yamaha MT-01, 2006 Honda ST1300

#118 Unread post by madjak30 »

@IzoAzlion...you don't have where you are from in your info, so this may not be helpful...but I would check out the Ninja 400R (not imported to the States if that's where you are)...very nice looking bike and has the extra kick that might be missing from the 250 but not enough to bite you...the 650 isn't bad, but the 400 would be better...and it is still fuel injected...

http://www.kawasaki.ca/model/STREET-TOU ... Ninja-400R

Just sayin'

Later.
-=-= Remember, if you're not having fun you're doing it wrong!! =-=-

IzoAzlion
Rookie
Rookie
My Motorcycle: None yet, looking at Ninja/CBR 250

#119 Unread post by IzoAzlion »

Hey Madjak,

Thanks, not sure if I can get it in England though? Helpful and I had seen images of it but I dont think I can find it. Will have a search! (Sorry for derailing Isles!)

Islesfan91
Elite
Elite

#120 Unread post by Islesfan91 »

I looked at the 400 when i was shopping, but ultimately I went with the 650 because the difference in price was only 700.00. I figured it would be a better buy to pick up the 650 because I was planning on having it for a long time without switching bikes. I'm not saying what I decided was smarter, or correct :) Just my thought process at the time

I haven't regretted the bike for a moment, and was actually intending on riding it into work this morning but they've salted some of the roads in Richmond and with snow called for tonight I was worried if I rode into work that my ride home would be on freshly salted roads, or possibly even during snow flurries.

Decided against it, and regretted it the entire drive into work in the car.