Islesfan91
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: 2011 Kawasaki Ninja 650R

good morning from Vancouver!

#1 Unread post by Islesfan91 »

hello all! Brand new rider (in training) here. I'm scheduled to take Action Motorcycle School's course starting on the 19th. I did (very likely foolishly) buy a new Ninja 650R after researching for a couple of months and then visiting the dealer and sitting on the bike for a while, and then asked them to store the bike until the 25th (I finish the class on the 24th, so I don't want the bike in my possession until I've completed the class) and will then spend a while practicing what I learn in the course until I feel comfortable to take to the streets.

I've wanted a bike for a very long time but never had any friends who rode and never got around to it. Decided to make it happen and take it slow (minus the buying the bike before I had the class done!)

Been lurking on these forums for a while and I know I'll likely take some abuse for making the decision to buy the bike without having any experience, but I'll live with my decision if it turns out to be the wrong one. Just excited to get to learning to ride and this forum has been helpful and interesting

I'll post up my experience in the training school in a couple of weeks

this is the bike still on the showroom floor with a sold "do not sit on" sign. I can't wait.

I'm no speed demon but after reading for a couple of months and scouring forums, and then sitting on the bike, I was sold on it. I would have preferred a used one but couldn't find anything on craigslist so I went with it new. I may regret it, but I can't wait to get started!

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

Re: good morning from Vancouver!

#2 Unread post by ceemes »

:devil: I think I saw that bike at Burnaby Kawasaki when I stopped off last week to pick up a litre of oil for my Connie. Sorry couldn't resist, but I sat on it and bounced up and down on the seat. Then the staff pushed me around the shop on it. :devil: :laughing: :laughing:

Just kidding, it's a nice looking ride, just take it easy on it when you get it, you are going to find that its power is a lot different that that of the bikes you train on.
Always ask why.

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#3 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Welcome to TMW....from Vancouver..... :)

I took the Action course 7 years ago.

Your new bike is a super colour.

Islesfan91
Elite
Elite

#4 Unread post by Islesfan91 »

thanks! I'm extremely excited but trying to at least maintain some common sense with this new found obsession. I'd love to have the bike delivered now, but with just a learner's permit and no riding experience I don't want to take any chances on the bike until I've had some time on the course and gone through it. I'm really hoping Action turns out to be a good place to go for the lessons, my first choice was going to be Pro Ride in North Van, but their season ended before I could book the class. I was tentatively going to sign up with Sunday Motorcycle School but I didn't get some answers back from them and spoke to Action and they answered all my questions (and about 15 minutes of them on the phone) and made me feel comfortable with how they deal with new riders. Class starts next wednesday and the bike will be delivered shortly after that's finished! Oh and the bike is actually the burnt orange colour, the showroom lights make it look almost red, but it looks amazing in sunlight. I may be slightly biased.

Blues I'm going to send you a pm after reading your blog a bit, had a question I wanted to check with you on if thats okay

thanks for the welcome and looking forward to becoming a member of the community!
Last edited by Islesfan91 on Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Islesfan91
Elite
Elite

#5 Unread post by Islesfan91 »

ceemes wrote::devil: I think I saw that bike at Burnaby Kawasaki when I stopped off last week to pick up a litre of oil for my Connie. Sorry couldn't resist, but I sat on it and bounced up and down on the seat. Then the staff pushed be around the shop on it. :devil: :laughing: :laughing:

Just kidding, it a nice looking ride, just take it easy on it when you get it, you are going to find that its power is a lot different that that of the bikes you train on.
you sir, are an evil one! I was back in the store on saturday to have another look at it and I think when a couple of other customers came over to have a look my natural instinct was to throw myself on them to keep them away from it

Trevor, the sales rep who helped me was incredibly helpful and the store had a great reputation from a couple of friends who regularly service their bikes there, so I felt comfortable dealing with them but I have one major issue...they still have the bike! Yes, I know, I told them not to deliver it to me yet...but it's very hard to visit it and leave it behind for another couple of weeks

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#6 Unread post by ceemes »

Islesfan91 wrote:
ceemes wrote::devil: I think I saw that bike at Burnaby Kawasaki when I stopped off last week to pick up a litre of oil for my Connie. Sorry couldn't resist, but I sat on it and bounced up and down on the seat. Then the staff pushed be around the shop on it. :devil: :laughing: :laughing:

Just kidding, it a nice looking ride, just take it easy on it when you get it, you are going to find that its power is a lot different that that of the bikes you train on.
you sir, are an evil one!

Why, thank-you. I do try and its nice to get recognition every now and then. :devil:
Islesfan91 wrote:I was back in the store on saturday to have another look at it and I think when a couple of other customers came over to have a look my natural instinct was to throw myself on them to keep them away from it

Trevor, the sales rep who helped me was incredibly helpful and the store had a great reputation from a couple of friends who regularly service their bikes there, so I felt comfortable dealing with them but I have one major issue...they still have the bike! Yes, I know, I told them not to deliver it to me yet...but it's very hard to visit it and leave it behind for another couple of weeks
When I lived in New West and was a motorcycle courier, they use to service my bikes for me. Always got good service from them. Now that the season is slowly coming to the end, I am thinking of parking my Connie with them over winter and get some work done on her, new timing chain, rebuild the front suspension, pull apart and redo the carbs, get the swing arm bushings looked and maybe even replacing the entire wiring harness. The previous owner was the king of bodging, you should see some of the connectors he used. All depends on how the pennies are looking of course.
Always ask why.

Islesfan91
Elite
Elite

#7 Unread post by Islesfan91 »

among the list of things to do for me is to learn proper motorcycle maintenance as well. I've got a lot to learn and most of what I need to know I don't know yet. I'm just planning on taking it easy, learning off the roads until I've become more comfortable and still taking it slow after that.

In one respect I'm glad I didn't take an interest in riding earlier, 10 years ago I would have been a lot more inclined to speeding and recklessness. Now I'd like to think I'm a little less suicidal and a lot more aware of maintaining distance from other drivers. Even with that, I'm sure I'll need to be hyperaware when it comes to Vancouver traffic on a bike

My girl is a little less wild about it, especially since I told her I wouldn't be taking any passengers on the bike for quite a while (likely at least a year) so I could focus on learning what to do while only risking my life, but she did say if I spent too much time on the bike she might have to look into getting one, so...win/win? :)

madjak30
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 13
My Motorcycle: 2006 Yamaha MT-01, 2006 Honda ST1300

#8 Unread post by madjak30 »

Nice toy...as for the "bought it before the training..." ribbing...well, I can't since I did the same thing...parked it in the backyard until I finished my training and got my license...I did do a few laps around the yard :wink:

And yeah...stick to your plan of "no passengers for the first year..."...get used to riding the bike and reading the flow of traffic before taking someone elses life into your hands...don't forget to buy gear...boots that cover your ankle, jacket, gloves and helmet are a minimum for me...it's up to you to set your own risk/comfort level...but the more gear the better...that's what saved my skin (litterally) when I went down this past September...(9/11 no less)...the bike needs repair (quite a bit), but I broke no bones and no road rash :motorcycle:

I would also look into some sliders for the bike...protect the plastic and major parts in the event of a tip over or light crash...worth every penny you spend...check the pricing for parts like the farings and mirrors, signal lights...I'm not saying that you will definately dump your bike, but most people drop their bikes a couple of times when first learning to ride...you will cry if you crack the plastics in the first month or so of riding... :shock:

Good Luck on your riding course!! and stop "visiting" your bike until you bring it home... :evil: ...it will make it easier on you.

Welcome to the forum!!

Later.
-=-= Remember, if you're not having fun you're doing it wrong!! =-=-

Islesfan91
Elite
Elite

#9 Unread post by Islesfan91 »

I've already got myself a jacket from a small local store along with a set of gloves with some plastic armouring on the knuckles, next up is a set of boots and the helmet in the next week or so. I do think I should go with frame sliders but likely will be grabbing those in a few weeks. It's going to be a busy next couple of weeks but I'm really looking forward to it

thanks for the welcome!

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#10 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Only 6 more days......