Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 33
My Motorcycle: 2014 Honda CTX-700D

New Member Checking In

#1 Unread post by rcno33 »

Hey, all,

R-C checking in. I have been riding for over 30 years and have owned 18 bikes, I think, from Kawasakis, to Yamahas, to Hondas, to Suzukis, and one Harley.

I thought I'd join this forum to share my experiences with the bike I purchased tonight: a 2014 Honda CTX-700D (the model with an automatic transmission and ABS brakes). We finished the purchase order tonight at closing time; I will take delivery of the bike in the morning.

I am trading in my most recent bike, a 2003 Kawasaki Nomad 1400cc cruiser. Prior to that I owned a Gold Wing. The Nomad is a great bike in its own right--it's awesome on the highway--but it is way too much bike for a "daily commuter" in stop-and-go traffic. Honda's new CTX is "right-sized" for my needs, and I am very intrigued by the automatic transmission. I won't miss shifting gears at all, and I will enjoy the CTX's +/-60mpg far more than the +/-37mpg that the Nomad delivers. (My car gets better mileage than the Nomad!)

I chose the CTX that has the fairing, for which I bought the taller windscreen. In fact, I bought all the optional parts with the exception of the two chrome billet parts that Honda offers for this bike. (I don't think that adding two minor chrome parts will add anything to the CTX's "look", so I chose to leave those off.)

I made the decision to buy this bike after one test ride, during which I was able to check out all the transmission modes. The bike is very nimble and maneuverable. The transmission is smooth and responsive; I find the bike has plenty of power for what I need to do with it. It is also very quiet.

I will check in every now and then to share my experiences as I get used to this new bike, in the hopes that my observations might help another rider to know "the scoop" on the new CTX.

Cheers,

R-C

JackoftheGreen
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

Re: New Member Checking In

#2 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

R-C, welcome to TMW and thanx for joining! We're always happy to see new members, and you've come to the right place. You wont find a more active, engaged and supportive community of riders anywhere on the net.

I'm a Kawi rider as well, a 2001 Vulcan 800 which I intend to trade-up for a Meanstreak 1500 at the outset of next season. Congratulations on your new purchase, and I hope the Honda is everything you're hoping it will be. I have a lot of faith in Honda, as do most I think, and my wife rides an '03 Shadow.

Feel free to start a riders blog, check out the Cool Wall (a TMW original) and take a run through the 'Register My Ride' thread as well. And take some pictures of your new scoot! We'd love to see it.

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#3 Unread post by Johnj »

Hello R-C and welcome to the forum.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#4 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Welcome to TMW R-C.

We don't have the automatic version in Canada yet. :(

Looking forward to hearing about your new ride.

A picture would be nice. :mrgreen:

rcno33
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 33
My Motorcycle: 2014 Honda CTX-700D

#5 Unread post by rcno33 »

Hello, all!

I took delivery of my 2014 Honda CTX 700 DCT today and spent the day assembling some of the extras I bought along with it. Pictured here is the bike with its saddlebags, backrest, and luggage rack installed.

I also bought heated hand grips and the tall windshield, but I could not install them because I will have to remove much of the fairing to do that, and I don't know how to do it. Rather than break something on Day One, I opted to wait until my maintenance manual arrives in a few days.

The bike is smooth as silk, and very quiet. It changes gear far earlier than I ever have on a manual transmission bike--not a complaint, just an observation. The bike also downshifts very smoothly, all I do is roll off the throttle when it's time to slow down, and the bike sort of does the rest until it's time to apply the brakes. Apart from reaching for the nonexistent clutch a few times, I found the transition to this new technology pretty seamless.

With only two very short rides under my belt, I can report positively on the smooth transmission; the nimble handling; the low noise level; and the very comfortable riding position. (Honda opted for "forward" foot pegs on this bike. Great choice--the riding position on this CTX-700 mimics that of my previous bike, a 1400cc Kawasaki Nomad with foot boards. After I adjusted the handlebars a bit, my riding position on the CTX is virtually identical to the much larger Nomad.)

I still have much to learn about this bike, but my initial reaction is this: I am very impressed with the thinking and the technology that went into this machine. I will gladly get over the manual transmission--I am not out to race this thing, nor do I care if I am impressing anyone (or not). I only want a reliable, quiet, and smooth daily commuter that I can also take on a weekend ride every now and then--and I think this CTX-700 is "it".

(For those who opt for full transmission control, Honda also offers the CTX-700 with a traditional manual transmission. Either way, the center of gravity is very low on this bike; the handling is superb.)

Cheers,

RC
Attachments
2014 Honda CTX-700 DCT
2014 Honda CTX-700 DCT
CTX 700D small.jpg (67.92 KiB) Viewed 3828 times

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2009 Buell 1125 CR

#6 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

My first motorcycle ever was a Honda CT trail 70 with an automatic transmission that was when the 40 acre wood behind the local high school seemed as big as Yellowstone itself!!!!
Welcome to the forum and enjoy your machine!!!!!!!
This is not the bike but it looked the sameImage
there aint nothin like it