Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: None

Modifying front pegs on a yamaha 650v star

#1 Unread post by Clinta29 »

G'day all
First time user so excuse my grammar .
I need to know firstly if it's legal and also if the right side front pegs and brake can be moved further forward on a 2013 yamaha 650 vstar custom
I have a issue with my right leg as I have only limited bend which restricts me to riding cruisers only. I have tried the yamaha and it's almost perfect but the pegs are about an inch or so to close.
So can any one help me so I can begin the process of getting my licence and motorcycle
Cheers Clint

JackoftheGreen
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

Re: Modifying front pegs on a yamaha 650v star

#2 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

What you're looking for is called 'forward controls'. They're readily available for most makes and models of cruisers, and although I've never used them myself I'm sure they're designed to be adjustable across a wide range. A Yamaha dealership could tell you specifically which you'll need for the VStar, but keep in mind they make these things for almost all cruisers. So that should open up your options a bit.

As for the legality, I don't know why it wouldn't be legal. Here in the USA those sorts of modifications are commonplace and common practice -- maybe you could tell us where you are?

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2009 Buell 1125 CR

#3 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

There is adjustable forward controls just search it on the internet I thought about posting the link I don't think it's prudent so I will pm it to you
there aint nothin like it

Clinta29
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: None

#4 Unread post by Clinta29 »

Thanks for help and quick replies. I will now research the different options for different bikes. Would it be better to do both sides of the bike or just the brake side?
I have also been told to go for the bigger engine bikes rather than the 250s
Legally I think it will be ok. I live in Melbourne Australia. Any recommendations on a which bike to learn on
Has to be a cruiser
Cheers

JackoftheGreen
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Versys 1000 LE "Gleep"

#5 Unread post by JackoftheGreen »

I think it's going to be up to your personal preference whether to install forward controls for both sides or just one side, though I doubt if you buy a forward control kit for just one side. That is, you'll have to buy the whole set either way. Forward controls are generally employed by riders who are simply taller than average -- I have no idea how the process is altered when correcting for a medical condition. But if there's nothing wrong with your left leg, you're probably better off sticking with the stock arrangement for the left side.

Now, deciding which bike to learn on is going to be a special problem. Here's the issue; forward controls are expensive. The kits I've seen for cruisers start in the mid US$400's, and climb from there well into the US$800 range for the more expensive brands. Obviously that's a lot of money to drop on a learner bike you're not going to stick with.

Others on the forum may have some better suggestions, but here's the best I can come up with. Get a traditional 'learners' bike, something like a 250 or even a 650, slap some cheap highway pegs on it so you can stretch out your right leg, and just learn how to operate your clutch, front brake, and shift lever to begin with. Ignoring your rear brake violates ALL the wisdom ever collected about learning to ride, but that may be the only way to get this thing started without spending a fortune in wasted accessories. Learn all your basics, and save learning how and when to use your rear brake for when you buy your permanent bike. Slow speed maneuvering is where you'll be most hampered without being able to use your rear brake, and 'hill holding' you'll have to avoid entirely until you really get a feel for feathering your clutch.

That's the best option that comes to mind for me -- if not this, then you'll have to either install forward controls on a bike you're not going to keep, which is a cost you'll never recoup when you sell that bike, or start on a bike you'll be happy with for a long time and install forward controls on that. That's a possibility -- a sub-liter bike like a 750 or 900 is still suitable for learning but big enough to service you well into the future depending on what sort of riding you're going to do. They're still not ideal for learning, but they'd work.

Anyone else have anything to offer here?