crzyboiz
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: NA

NEWBIE needing some guidance on a used bike

#1 Unread post by crzyboiz »

Hi everyone. I just finished my classes yesterday and am ready to find a good beginner bike at a good price.

I found a used 2003 Honda Rebel with 684 miles. It looks nice in pictures. It has been garaged for awhile, and the current owner said they bought it new but wife got hurt (unrelated to bike) and can no longer ride. He said that the carbuerator is gummed up with old gas and it needs cleaned, but it doesn't currently start (it turns and sparks according to current owner) He is saying is just needs to be cleaned to run. He is asking $1500

For those of you that have been around, does this sound accurate? If I can't test drive it, what are the things that I should be looking for to make sure it is just that? Does the price sound right? Is it easy to clean the carbuerator (I can always youtube it) I don't know anyone that owns a bike or I would take them with me to look.

Thank you, and am so excited to start riding!

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Re: NEWBIE needing some guidance on a used bike

#2 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Hi and welcome to the TMW Community! :D

The Rebel is a great bike to start out on and at 600ish miles is basicly new, and at $1500 your looking at saving about $4000 (out the door) in cost as well. A good carb cleaning (with carb removal) would be around $225-350 dollars (depending on where you live, if you can find a GOOD backyard mechanic to do the work AND what country you live in)...

I'd have someone do the work for me at first, it would be great if you could watch them fix it all, but sometimes you can't. You have a good learning curve ahead of you learning to ride and if you want to learn mechanics I'd say start with doing an oil and filter change and if you feel brave a sparkplug change as well. :revv:

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

blues2cruise
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#3 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Welcome to TMW.

Aside from the carb cleaning, you might want to check the rubber. Seals, tires etc.

crzyboiz
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: NA

#4 Unread post by crzyboiz »

Thank you both for that info. I was able to talk the seller down to $1000 + he will be taking it to the shop for me as I don't have a trailer. Going to a shop tomorrow and hoping I can get it looked at quickly..they have a 3 week wait right now :( bummer, maybe they will be able to get it in sooner.

I am so excited and looking forward from learning from all of you!

blues2cruise
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#5 Unread post by blues2cruise »

crzyboiz wrote:Thank you both for that info. I was able to talk the seller down to $1000 + he will be taking it to the shop for me as I don't have a trailer. Going to a shop tomorrow and hoping I can get it looked at quickly..they have a 3 week wait right now :( bummer, maybe they will be able to get it in sooner.

I am so excited and looking forward from learning from all of you!
It's a busy time of year for motorcycle shops. Mine has been in the shop for 2-1/2 weeks now. First they had to determine the problem, then they had to wait for the part...and now just finding time to get it done.

Fingers crossed for a clean bill of health on the bike. It should be good once it's cleaned and tuned. :D