SV650 for Cross-Country Trek?

BlueCrux
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid

SV650 for Cross-Country Trek?

#1 Unread post by BlueCrux »

I'm new to streetbikes and based on both my friends and various opinions online, the SV650 appears to be a very attractive first motorcycle. I just haven't been able to figure out if it is plausible for me to embark on a crosscountry exodus I was planning to take this summer from my Native Maryland out to my future home of El Paso TX. Might anyone have a better suggestion for a first bike, some suggestions on where to find baggage or perhaps a story of a similar trek on an SV?

ZooTech
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 18
My Motorcycle: Nomad / Ninja 500 / VLX Bobber / C3 / VS

#2 Unread post by ZooTech »

Might need a new seat. Other than that, it's difficult for anyone to judge whether or not a trek like that is plausible for you since everyone is different.

BuzZz
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#3 Unread post by BuzZz »

People do it all the time. I see lots of SV's with hardbags on the hiways. If I had one, I would use it for everything, including long road trips.
No Witnesses.... :shifty:

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#4 Unread post by Sev »

If you want to go right across the country you'll probably need a fair bit of storage (tank bag, paniers and a top box). These can be found for about $100 each, $200 for a good topbox. But if you get some good products there you should have TONS of room for storage.

Take a lot of money (you cannot pack much food) and a roll of quarters (laundromat). If yuo're riding alone, you might consider having someone with an initiary who you call to check in with once every night or two (getting in an accident by yourself is NOT a good thing).

Remember you aren't in a car, so take rain gear, and make sure that your travel bags are waterproof or have waterproof covers as well. Oh, and the seat is gonna destroy your "O Ring", you might want a pad or something.

As for places to get luggage, the best place to start is a local bike shop, and then tour the internet from there. At the bike shop you can actually see if stuff fits.

A windscreen might be nice too, after 5 hours or so the windblast at highway speeds without one (I don't have one) can become exhausting.

So, those are the important parts, can it be done? Definately!! I'm thinking of taking more then a couple long trips in the near future, and I own a Honda 599 (essentially an SV650 that looks better LoL).

I hope you enjoy your trip. One of the best things about travelling on a bike is that you feel like you're part of your suroundings, rather then travelling through them in your safety controlled climate with airbags and adjustable AC, safety belts, and radio.

I'd far rather do a long trip on the bike then in a car (unless it's winter).
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

Scott58
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#5 Unread post by Scott58 »

I'd do it on my Rebel no sweat. You'll be fine.
05 Honda Rebel
04 Spitfire Cub-24
05Suzuki S50

keysman

#6 Unread post by keysman »

I would look at the BMW F650 GS or the Suzuki VStrom, but that's just a personal opinion.
New Hotness: 2005 Yamaha FJR1300
Old & Busted: 2003 BMW F650CS

650VTwin
Rookie
Rookie

Cross Country on an SV650

#7 Unread post by 650VTwin »

I'm an SV650 rider -- it's my first bike, bought last fall. I'm thinking about doing some distance on my SV, too. Here are a few thoughts, for what they're worth:

1. My tail gets sore after about 100 miles. I understand that Corbin makes a good replacement seat for about $250 -- that is something I would consider before I go more than a couple hundred miles in any one direction.

2. I have the naked SV - I assume you do, too. I find windblast to be tolerable below about 60 mph, but it gets very tiring after that.

3. Luggage: I have a Cortech tank bag and "Sport" tail bag. That's enough for one or two overnights. Cortech also makes "Sport" saddlebags that attach to the tail bag. That would add meaningful storage -- you'd want to check clearance with the exhaust, but I think it would probably work well. New Enough sells this luggage -- their prices and customer service are great.

4. MPG: I'm hitting the low-to-mid-50s on day-long rides. I figure 150-180 miles to reserve. Could be a factor to take into account in West Texas.

Good luck!

Ted

P.S. I might add that the DL650 V-Strom will likely be bike #2. I understand those are set up very well for longer distances.

High_Side
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#8 Unread post by High_Side »

http://totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/album_sh ... pic_id=722
This is a link to a picture of a buddy of mine in North-Eastern Yellowstone on his SV with hard bags. He was about 37 when this was taken and had no comfort complaints on this trip (from Calgary and back). There would have been more comfortable rides that the SV and my VTR but they do just fine just teh same......

macktruckturner
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#9 Unread post by macktruckturner »

I'll chime in here, being an SV650S owner, and Texan. I do not find the SV to be an unrealistic mount for distance riding. I've only had the pleasure of riding mine whenever I want for right at 3 full months and I've put 5600 miles on it. A number of those miles were 500mi days. If you are planning to ride from MD to the far west edge of TX - don't superslab it, your backside will hate you if you do. Realize of course that once you get west of San Angelo, you have no choice in TX but straight, flat, and boring. You should also note that with a 200mi range (you push after that) you will need a gas can. I grew up in Midland, TX - and distinctly recall roadsigns proclaiming the last gas stop for over 200 miles. Fully loaded down, with my saddle bags, tail bag, tank bag, and a 2-man tent strapped bungee'd to the bike - I still get 50mpg. Usually between 50 and 53mpg.

I plan on having my factory seat modified for comfort, as that can be done by an upholstery shop for much less $BLING$ than a Sargeant or Corbin saddle. I don't know how riding the non-faired bike that far would be, as there's a fair deal of windblast at highway speeds even on the S model. I intend to get a double bubble screen for mine as I have ridden one with the screen and it puts my head in clean air at my usual riding position.

If you are definitely riding from MD through TX, either PM me for some possible routes, or take a look over @ Two Wheeled Texans, plenty of guys and gals from all over Texas that would be more than happy to give you the best motorcycle route across the Lone Star State. Just remember - it's over 800 miles from the TX/LA border to El Paso (on Interstate 10). If I were stationed at Ft. Bliss, I would still be in Texas, but I'd be further away than I am in Ft. Benning, GA. Crazy huh?

Regards,
Anthony