1995 virago 535 question

djcracker
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid

1995 virago 535 question

#1 Unread post by djcracker »

I just bought a 1995 yamaha virago 535. 8000miles good shape. Bought it from a dealer. First bike. the dealer said it went though there 100 and some point check. Here is the problem. Been riding in town had it up to 45-50mph no problem. My brother wanted to ride it. He had it on a four lane road and said once it hit 60mph thats all it had. Going up hill your lucky to hit 40mph. He said it was like it had a gouvenur on it. Had his buddy check it over air filter, plugs, carbs looked fine. Only things is when we got the bike the plugs were filed and had half tank of gas and the dealer said they checked this in that 100 and some point check (yea right)
and it had a full tank of gas. It is like acceleration is fine up to about 1/2 throttle but then get no further.speed.It happens in all gears. Anyone have this problem. Calling the dealer today.

stargazertony
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

#2 Unread post by stargazertony »

Hi djcracker: I have a 1993 XV535 and don't experiance the same problems. I've had mine up to about 85 but am more comfortable in the 50-60MPH range. Are you sure your bike isn't a European version. Engligh bikes have some sort of speed governers on them to restrict speed because of their licensing structure.

Perhaps try a tankful or two of StaBil or SeaFoam to clean the entire fuel system. Maybe the gas was old. Tank it back to the dealer and complain. This bike should give you more performance than that. I have no trouble keeping up with traffic on my 535 and can certainly go more that 40MPH up hill.