Motorcycle Spotlight - 2005 BMW K1200S

What do you think of the BMW K1200S?

I've done my homework, now where do I sign?
50%
It's on my shopping list or I would consider it if I was looking.
17%
It's not my style.
33%

Total votes: 6

keysman
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male

Motorcycle Spotlight - 2005 BMW K1200S

#1 Unread post by keysman »

Motorcycle Spotlight
2005 BMW K1200S

By now you have seen, read or heard about the new 2005 BMW K1200S. This is one of the sportiest BMWs possibly ever. When I was out at my local BMW dealer last weekend the new K1200S was finally on the lot. There was as buzz of local riders at the dealer checking out the new bike. Now I know what you're going to say, didn't you just post something about a new BMW. Well yes I did but that was the R 1200 ST and both of the bikes were on the lot that day.

Here are the links to the pictures I took of the new bike.

Image 1 | Image 2 | Image 3 | Image 4

Here is what BMW has to say about this new bike.
The K 1200 S was designed as a sport bike and is a completely separate motorcycle within the K family. It is radically new, featuring an unprecedented number of innovations. It is a high-precision sport bike offering unique agility as well as enormous output. Its power to weight ratio is on the level with the competition and almost 50 percent better than the K 1200 RS.

The K 1200 S is powered by a transversely mounted 1157-cc four-cylinder inline engine with integrated transmission and is unique among sport bikes due to its overall concept in conjunction with the lightweight construction shaft drive.

The extreme forward tilt of the cylinder bank ensures a low center of gravity. In this way it was possible to achieve an ideal wheel load distribution of 50:50 percent in combination with the overall geometric layout. The engine has an extraordinarily narrow design achieved by a series of special design features. The engine width at the crankshaft level is approximately the same as for 600-cc engines.

The engine of the K 1200 S is based on the latest generation as presented at the beginning of the year in the R 1200 GS. It also features integrated knock control and in this advanced four-cylinder engine, it represents the most sophisticated engine management system currently available for motorcycles.

The K 1200 S is also highly innovative on the suspension side. A revolutionary front wheel suspension using two parallel links--without telescopic forks--ensures extremely sensitive response together with excellent precision, outstanding overall rigidity and low weight. The electronically adjustable suspension also represents a world first in production motorcycle manufacturing.

The new K 1200 S is of course also equipped with the unique BMW Motorrad Integral ABS in the partially integral version. In conjunction with the EVO brakes, this system ensures maximum deceleration and the shortest of braking distances in all road conditions.

Here are some of the specs on the K1200S.
Engine - 1157cc, four cylinder, DOHC,16 valve
Horsepower - 167hp @ 10,250rpm :shock:
0 to 60 - 2.8 seconds
Torque - 96 ft-lb @ 8,250rpm
Gearbox - Six speed
Final Drive- Shaft
Front Brakes - Dual 320mm discs, Integral ABS
Rear Brake - Single 265mm disc, Integral ABS
Wet Weight - 248kg complete with all fluids and fuel

One of the most interesting options for the K1200S is the Electronic Suspension Adjustment or ESA for short. Sorry I don't have a picture of this on the Info Flat Screen. The ESA allows the rider to select 9 different suspension settings with the touch of a button. Sport Normal and Comfort can be selected for one-up two-up or two-up with luggage.

Do you want to know more? Head over to bmwk1200s.com. There is a bunch of great information and a number of good photos of the K1200S and the future K1200R, the naked variant of the S.

So what do you think of the new sportbike offering from BMW? Is it something you would consider?

2005 BMW K1200S Pricing
MSRP $15,750 without ABS (includes $350 destination)
MSRP $16,745 with ABS (includes $350 destination)

Options Pricing
$750 - Electronic Suspension Adjustment (ESA)
$200 - Heated Hand Grips
$210 - Anti Theft Alarm

Every K1200S in the inital allocations to the dealers will include ABS.

Update - See my post below for results of the UK's Motor Cycle News's report on the K1200S.
Last edited by keysman on Tue Apr 12, 2005 4:41 am, edited 10 times in total.
New Hotness: 2005 Yamaha FJR1300
Old & Busted: 2003 BMW F650CS

oldnslo
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model1983 Yamaha Seca 900

#2 Unread post by oldnslo »

So, then, price is no object......I heard rumors last year it would be in the $18-$20k US range, and where is the road test? What'll she do? That's what really counts in a bike like this. Is this the one that's been eating crankshafts?
John
"83 XJ900RK

IT'S ABOUT OIL, MONEY, AND POWER, ALL OF THE TIME.

keysman

#3 Unread post by keysman »

The funny thing is I can't find the MSRP on the BMW website. I don't know if I'm missing something. The pricing for the new ST and RT is listed but not for this bike. I'll contact a dealer to find out and get that posted here.

I would love to do a road test and find out what it would do. I don't think I'm an expert tester but I'm sure the BMW dealer would let me take one for a test ride when they get more in there fleet and have a demo bike on hand for that type of thing. I would love to be doing full tests on a number of different bikes and posting full reviews here on TMW, but right now we're not at that point so until then I'm doing what I can to get some information out there.

I'm going to another open house at the end of the month and I'll try to get a demo ride if possible.

I voted, It's not my style because at this point I'm not really into the sportbike style of the K1200S. I like my CS with it's standard riding position and if I was in the market for a new bike right now, I would be looking at the Sport Touring style bikes, like the Honda ST1300 or the BMW R1200RT. Both of wich offer a lot more power than I need right now or probably will ever need.

emperorjordan
Elite
Elite

#4 Unread post by emperorjordan »

I totally love the new K1200S, but there is no way I have been riding long enough to get on that. :(

Maybe by the next time they change the model...............
-2005 Suzuki DRZ-400S (The Fast Color).
- FMF Power Core 4
- 3x3" Air Box Mod, DynoJet Kit
- Dunlop D606 Tires
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather--who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car

keysman

#5 Unread post by keysman »

emperorjordan wrote:I totally love the new K1200S, but there is no way I have been riding long enough to get on that. :(
Me too and Me either.

keysman

#6 Unread post by keysman »

MCN Road Test Results
UK's Motor Cycle News reviews the new BMW K1200S

The UK's Motorcycle News magazine Motor Cycle News or MCN (not to be confused with Motorcyle Consumer News here in the states) recently (March 23, 2005) published a Road Test of the new BMW K1200S and compared it to rivals the Suzuki Hayabusa and the Kawasaki ZX-12R. Testing was performed on the 37 mile TT course on the Isle of Man. I have paraphrased some bullet points and of the comments from the article in an effort to provide some more details about the new K1200S and how it rates against two of the top superbikes.

First the Cons:
Slight throttle adjustments around town cause the K1200S to lurch even in higher gears most test riders complained bitterly about this problem the 'Busa and the ZX-12R are both silky smooth by comparison.

Heavy clutch

Sticky and Noisy Gearbox

Poor low end throttle response (lurching), long wheelbase and heavy weight make the BMW more difficult turning into corners than the 'Busa and the ZX-12R

And now the Pros:
Above 4000 rpm power delivery is flawless with the power hitting hard at 7000 rpm. The Power-plant is potent and the bike is very fast.

The suspension setup is no gimmick. The ride is very smooth and the suspension setup is rock solid.

ABS system is done right where front brake is linked but the rear brake is not. Braking was better in the K1200S than the radial setup on the Kawasaki and much better than the 'Busa.

BMW averaged 35 mpg compared to 30 mpg of the Busa and the ZX-12R when riding all the bikes hard.

Riding position on the K1200S is comfortable and the faring does an excellent job.

Tank capacity of the K1200S is larger than the ZX-12R and about the same as the Hayabusa.

Common problems with shaft drive were not evident on the K1200S

The Conclusion:
MCN had a tough time picking the winner but an easy time picking the looser, the Hayabusa. On straight smooth roads the ZX-12R is slightly quicker but the BMW stops better. The BMW handles better, especially with the optional ESA.

Winner: BMW K1200S

MCN hopes that BMW will revise the software to correct for the low RPM throttle response but even with that problem it's still the winner.

oldnslo
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model1983 Yamaha Seca 900

#7 Unread post by oldnslo »

I'll reserve comment until reading road tests by US rags. MCN-UK testing has many detractors, probably for not listing price, top speed, or any other performance numbers when doing a comparo, if this is an example.
It seems amazing to me that if this bike is for sale in showrooms, none of this information is available. Are they just doing a hype campaign?
John
"83 XJ900RK

IT'S ABOUT OIL, MONEY, AND POWER, ALL OF THE TIME.

keysman

#8 Unread post by keysman »

I don't think BMW was trying to hide the pricing. I just didn't get it from a dealer. Regardless I have obtained the pricing and added it to the original post.

emperorjordan
Elite
Elite

#9 Unread post by emperorjordan »

They have discontinued their R1100S bikes for 2005..... I hope they bring back a boxer powered sport bike...... I have had my eye on that or the R1150R Rockster as my next bike. :( I don't want them to stop making the ones I really like :frusty:
-2005 Suzuki DRZ-400S (The Fast Color).
- FMF Power Core 4
- 3x3" Air Box Mod, DynoJet Kit
- Dunlop D606 Tires
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather--who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car

keysman

#10 Unread post by keysman »

The R1150S has been replaced by the R1200ST, see my other post in this forum on the ST.

I am a fan of the Rockster too. I'm not a big fan of the basic R1150R but I like the Rockster and the Edition 80. I think the Rockster and the R1150R will carry on for this year but I bet they will be replaced by R1200R or whatever BMW decides to call it for 2006.