Sport Tourer - Emphasis on the Sport

gt_mule
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid

Sport Tourer - Emphasis on the Sport

#1 Unread post by gt_mule »

Greetings.

I have been out of riding for 3 years. I live in the Pacific NW, and am in the market for a bike. I want something sporty that can put lots of miles on comfortably. Wind and (some) weather protection along with bags are critical. I would prefer a shaft drive, but right now I am looking at the Triumph Sprint ST and the Duc ST3. I don't need either in ABS, but with the ST3s you get the tasty Ohlins rear. I've never owned a chain bike; should I be leary of this?

I think the VFR is underpowered (and small - I'm 6'3" 200lbs), and the FJR is more tour oriented. The K12GT looks perfect, but too pricey. Should I consider the K12S? Anything else out there that that I should look at?

Thanks in advance.

Ninja Geoff
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R

#2 Unread post by Ninja Geoff »

From what I've heard from a member here, is that the K1200S is REALLY comfortable on the long haul. And fast. Very fast. It comes in shaft drive, and other BMW goodies. Also looks frikken sweet.
[img]http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/3563/41350009.jpg[/img]

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#3 Unread post by Sev »

I've ridden on the back of the ST1100 and can recomend it from a passengers perspective, that thing can FLY!
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

ZooTech
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
Years Riding: 18
My Motorcycle: Nomad / Ninja 500 / VLX Bobber / C3 / VS

#4 Unread post by ZooTech »

One of my motorcycle mags just did a shootout with the FJR1300, ST1300, and a Ninja ZX-12R fitted with Kawasaki's aftermarket tall windscreen and hard bags. If you're looking for a sport-touring bike with an emphasis on sport, this is your bike according to the review.

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#5 Unread post by Sev »

ZooTech wrote:One of my motorcycle mags just did a shootout with the FJR1300, ST1300, and a Ninja ZX-12R fitted with Kawasaki's aftermarket tall windscreen and hard bags. If you're looking for a sport-touring bike with an emphasis on sport, this is your bike according to the review.
Which one?
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

ZooTech
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
Years Riding: 18
My Motorcycle: Nomad / Ninja 500 / VLX Bobber / C3 / VS

#6 Unread post by ZooTech »

Sevulturus wrote:
ZooTech wrote:One of my motorcycle mags just did a shootout with the FJR1300, ST1300, and a Ninja ZX-12R fitted with Kawasaki's aftermarket tall windscreen and hard bags. If you're looking for a sport-touring bike with an emphasis on sport, this is your bike according to the review.
Which one?
Okay...it's late...and I misspoke. It was the ZZR-1200, not the ZX-12R. The magazine was either Motorcyclist, Rider, or Cycle World (dunno, I throw them away after I read them).

Here is a similar review, however, if it's any consolation.

JCS
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#7 Unread post by JCS »

www.sport-touring.net.

Go there and say hello and start searching. There are many threads concerning your questions. You'll find info on about anything you want (except much on cruisers and Harleys).
I would be the old, slow guy. Just let me know where you are going and I'll try to get there before you leave.

keysman
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum

#8 Unread post by keysman »

When I was looking for a new bike I looked at the VFR, Aprilia Futura, Ducati ST3/ST4, BMW RT and ST. I ended up with a used 2005 FJR with 945 miles on it that I found on craigslist. I discounted the FJR at first because of being too large, heavy and to tour and not enough sport, like you. The FJR was just too good of a deal to pass up. In addition to showroom looks, the previous owner had added the Heli bar risers, BMW grips and a Givi windshield. I love the FJR and I don't regret my decision. It's a great bike.
New Hotness: 2005 Yamaha FJR1300
Old & Busted: 2003 BMW F650CS

swatter555
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#9 Unread post by swatter555 »

You cant go wrong with the Sprint ST, especially for the price. You might also sit on an R1, which to my suprise I found comfortable. The K1200S is a damn sexy bike also, but 4-5k more than the Sprint ST.

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

Re: Sport Tourer - Emphasis on the Sport

#10 Unread post by jstark47 »

The Sprint owners I know (from my RAT pack) are rabidly enthusiastic about their bikes. I don't personally care for the current Sprint, riding position is too "sport" for me, but that might be what you're looking for.....
gt_mule wrote:I've never owned a chain bike; should I be leary of this?
If you don't mind doing simple cleaning and maintenance every 500-1000 miles, no, you shouldn't be leery. Once you've been through the procedure a few times, it's no big deal. If any routine maintenance is a no-no for you, then don't get a chain drive bike.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S