Harley sales down

celt
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male

#61 Unread post by celt »

CentralOzzy wrote:
celt wrote:I want to see Gummiente's URAL tattoo!

:twisted:

(I really enjoyed reading your ural blog)
What if it's on his Azz?
well, no matter what you've read - not all us Americans are puritanical jerks.

seeing another man's ural azz tattoo wouldn't be a big deal.

how bout you? :laughing:

CentralOzzy
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 42
My Motorcycle: Yamaha XJR-1300/Harley-Davidson Roadking

#62 Unread post by CentralOzzy »

I think I'll pass....but you can be my guest....as long as Gummi doesn't mind mooning you!? :bigsmile:

VStorm
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid

HD = The Money Company

#63 Unread post by VStorm »

I find it interesting that HD makes far more money each year selling it's brand name licences than it's motorcycles. The really interesting part is that the "American Motor Company" sells most of them to Chinese and Taiwanese junk makers who profit from making Harley combs, Harley shoe horns, Harley dog dishes and all the other Harley junk that so many Harley lovers buy en masse. To each his own but please stop telling me to buy American.

I love to ride and I love technology. Harleys may be nice in a parade but HD has not innovated anything in over 50 years. All of the metric motor companies get many new patents each year and their riders all benefit. I like air cooled V-Twins but I prefer mine with overhead cams and multiple carbs, something with torque AND HP. I also like light weight, good brakes and responsive handling, I like to cruise but I also like to kick it now and then.

When I was young, we owned Harleys to be different, part of the rebellious thing, it was the hallmark of the Harley rider. Now-a-days, it seems that most cruisers want or own a Harley and guess what? I am still independent and I still want to be different. If I rode a Harley now, I would just be part of the "normal" crowd.

I'll probably just stick to building my own metrics using parts from different bikes. I do have a Harley solo saddle on one of my bikes however, the one with the Honda engine, Suzuki exhaust, Kawasaki handle bars, Yamaha foot pegs and BMW fairing on it(In the winter). The whole bike has been reworked and has an ancient looking camo paint scheme. I use it for my parade bike and it gets lots more attention than any Harley. Use whatever works best for the situation is my motto.

CentralOzzy
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 42
My Motorcycle: Yamaha XJR-1300/Harley-Davidson Roadking

Re: HD = The Money Company

#64 Unread post by CentralOzzy »

VStorm wrote: I love to ride and I love technology. Harleys may be nice in a parade but HD has not innovated anything in over 50 years. All of the metric motor companies get many new patents each year and their riders all benefit. I like air cooled V-Twins but I prefer mine with overhead cams and multiple carbs, something with torque AND HP. I also like light weight, good brakes and responsive handling, I like to cruise but I also like to kick it now and then.
For Gods sake, wake up to the V-Rod! What is wrong with you?
What a dumazz statement.
VStorm wrote: I do have a Harley solo saddle on one of my bikes however, the one with the Honda engine, Suzuki exhaust, Kawasaki handle bars, Yamaha foot pegs and BMW fairing on it (In the winter). The whole bike has been reworked and has an ancient looking camo paint scheme. I use it for my parade bike and it gets lots more attention than any Harley.
Hey....Frankenstein's monster owner....your delusional.

Gummiente
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#65 Unread post by Gummiente »

*sniff, sniff* - Anyone else smell a troll here?

Pretty crappy for a first post, VStorm. :roll:
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#66 Unread post by jstark47 »

VStorm wrote:I find it interesting that HD makes far more money each year selling it's brand name licences than it's motorcycles.
HD may indeed be the Money Company, but they make most of it selling bikes. In 2006, Harley Davidson-branded motorcycles brought the company $4.5 billion dollars in revenue. Sales of general merchandise (which I believe includes brand licensing income) accounted for $277 million in revenue. My source is their 2006 Annual Report. If you have a factual source for your contention that HD earns more from licensing than from motorcycles, please cite it now.

Gummiente wrote:*sniff, sniff* - Anyone else smell a troll here?

Pretty crappy for a first post, VStorm. :roll:
Gummi- agreed. Old, tired, and not even true - a buncha horse-poo for a first post!
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

celt
Elite
Elite

Re: HD = The Money Company

#67 Unread post by celt »

VStorm wrote:I use it for my parade bike and it gets lots more attention than any Harley. Use whatever works best for the situation is my motto.
i do.

i don't use my sportster in any parades, and i'm not trying to draw any attention.

so it works great for my situation.

:roll:

eddieb
Rookie
Rookie

Get over it.

#68 Unread post by eddieb »

Everyone out there that rides is loyal to a certain brand of motorcycle. After all this is America and thats what makes us great. The fact we can choose what we like to ride and not have it decided for us. I ride a 1997 Valkyrie custom painted red, white and blue. In my eyes it one of the most beautiful bikes out there. I ride with people on Harleys and can respect what they see in there motorcycle and there life style. At the same time they dont give me ant s--t about that I ride. I get alot of Harley guys coming up to me to express what a cool machine I have. My moto is ride hard and keep the chrome side up. 8)
1997 Valkyrie, Custom Paint.

flynrider
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: '93 Honda Nighthawk 750

Re: Get over it.

#69 Unread post by flynrider »

eddieb wrote:Everyone out there that rides is loyal to a certain brand of motorcycle.
Not everyone. All I care about is that it's a good bike. I currently ride a Honda, but have owned at least a half dozen other brands. My next bike will be the one that fits my requirements best, and I'm not too concerned about who manufactures it.
Bikin' John
'93 Honda CB750 Nighthawk

jack30021
Rookie
Rookie

#70 Unread post by jack30021 »

Well I love my V-Rod. Has heaps of power, liquid cooled, looks great and is nothing like a normal metric cruiser.

It is just awsome. I looked at some metrics when I was looking to replace my V-Star, nothing came close. You get what you pay for... my V-Star had 'cheap' chrome, plastic everywhere and lacked build quality.

HD's are solid and the V-Rod is very modern. It doesn't even have keys (uses a FOB) has an alarm/immobiliser, has a great instrument panel (the V-Star sucked there bigtime).

No to mention they are all fuel injected. Lots of metircs still have carbs (at least most of the Yamaha range).
07 Harley Davidson V-ROD
05 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic (Sold)