1000cc Sport Bike as a first motorcycle?

NorthernPete
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: 1988 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

#11 Unread post by NorthernPete »

This whole thread has a trollish sorta smell to me.....

*sniff sniff* yup....
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F

m1a1dvr
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#12 Unread post by m1a1dvr »

King Frog wrote:Buy the BIKE YOU WANT for a first bike. There is no need to waste your money on "training bikes" . You can learn to ride on any bike. IF you want a 1000cc sport bike....and an insure it......Buy it. Practice with it and enjoy it.

You'll learn soon enough yours and the bike limitations. You WILL grow out of anything less then a 750 within months if not weeks.
Do I hear a hint of scarcasm. :laughing:

camthepyro
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#13 Unread post by camthepyro »

m1a1dvr
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 8:39 pm Post subject:
King Frog wrote:
Buy the BIKE YOU WANT for a first bike. There is no need to waste your money on "training bikes" . You can learn to ride on any bike. IF you want a 1000cc sport bike....and an insure it......Buy it. Practice with it and enjoy it.

You'll learn soon enough yours and the bike limitations. You WILL grow out of anything less then a 750 within months if not weeks.

Do I hear a hint of scarcasm.
I sure as hell hope he's be sarcastic, but something tells me he's not. And if he isn't, he's a "procreating" idiot, who's probably never even been on a bike, and is just a troll.

Again, if he's not being sarcastic, he's giving this kid advice that will astronomically increase his chances of not surviving his first couple months of riding. Telling somebody they "WILL grow out of anything less then a 750 within months if not weeks" is just "procreating" stupid, and made me cringe to read that. If King Frog honestly believes that, he's never touched anything besides possibly a cruiser.
Member of DWPOMD and RATUBBAW

'80 Suzuki GS 450
'00 Kawasaki ZR7 ( Sold 09/08 )
'82 Honda Nighthawk 450 ( Sold 02/07 )

[url=http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=10838]My bloggy thingy[/url]

m1a1dvr
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#14 Unread post by m1a1dvr »

I think the Darwin Award is in order here. :laughing:

636SE
Rookie
Rookie

#15 Unread post by 636SE »

man there are 600 class bikes out there that some people will never out grow. Bikes now days have so much power its sick :evil:
2006 636 Special edition

kabob983
Legendary 750
Legendary 750
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: imaginary motorcycle...

#16 Unread post by kabob983 »

Troll...

Generally when someone has "1000cc sportsbike" or "Hayabusa" as first bike as a topic it's going to be a troll...
2000 Kawasaki Ninja EX500R (Sold)
2006 Suzuki SV650S (Stolen 4/08, recovered 12/08, sold 3/09)
2004 Suzuki SV650S (Sold)

Being bikeless SUCKS!!!

camthepyro
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#17 Unread post by camthepyro »

And yet I always fall for it...

'80 Suzuki GS 450

[url=http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=10838]My bloggy thingy[/url]

King Frog
Regular
Regular

#18 Unread post by King Frog »

My brother has never owned a bike less then 1000CCs and he has been riding for well over 30 years daily, IF the kid is going to be responsible and learn slowly he will be fine. You are all assumming he's an idiot and will twist the throttle to the max the first day out. Sport bikes in my opinion are much safer then Cruiser BECAUSE of the HP and ability to get out of harms way. I know I was rear ended on a Stripped down GOld Wing by a Honda Accord doing 85MPH HE hot me in a full lock up at 130 feet out of 180 feet of rubber on the road and dragged the bike and I another 30 Feet. and I DROVE the biKe home leaking oil from cracked crank case and the pipies all busted up. IF I would have been on the beginner 400 KAwai I also had. Sayanora.

BTW the Honda Accord need to be towed as he radiator was destroyed.

I give him more credit then than him being a hot dogger the first time out.t. NOTHING is worse the wasting money on a bike you want to replace after a few weeks. BUy what you want and learn on IT. Take it easy and you will be fine.

camthepyro
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#19 Unread post by camthepyro »

I wonder how many new riders you've killed handing out advice like this. It's "procreating" ridiculous. A 1000cc+ sport bike is unneccesary on the streets PERIOD.

Your little example with the Honda is nice in theory, but in reality, it's useless. First of all, having that much more power on hand isn't going to make that big of a difference in that situation, because either way, it's your reaction time (or lack there-of) that is key. If you have a honda going at 85mph coming up behind you, and you see it coming when it is 100ft away, that gives you roughly 1.25 seconds to react before it hits you (assuming you are stoped, sitting at a red light or something). Now, it will take you at least a half a second to: figure out you have to move, send the signal to your muscle, and actually move your wrist. That leaves you about 3/4 of a second to move. Now, pretty much all bikes, are going to go roughly the same distance in 3/4, it's after the bike is actually moving that the differences in acceleration become apparent.

So, in your example, the power of 1000cc bike over a >500cc bike isn't going to help you enough to be worth the risk the rest of the time. And even if it was, situations like that are much, much more rare then situations where an excess of power are hamful.

There is a reason everyone recommends smaller bikes, and most of the time it has nothing to do with maturity, responsibility, or control. It has to do with going over a bump, panicking or whatever, and accidently twitching the throttle. Which on a "small" bike won't make a big difference, but the difference can be fatal on a "big" bike.

If I had been on and R1 or similar bike when I had my accident last week, I would probably be in the hospital. Not because of my irresponsibility, or lack of control, but because I had been accelerating at the time, and I would have been going like 50mph, instead of just 30mph when I started braking.

Stop giving out bad advice to new riders, because what you're telling them is greatly increasing their chances of DIEING. Yeah, if he gets that bike, he'll probably be fine, but there is no reason to increase his chance of DIEING that much. No, he will not get bored of a >1000cc bike in a couple of weeks. That's just stupid, if you get bored of a "small" bike that quickly, then you're probably only using 1st gear. If that reasoning was valid, why would anyone be driving sports cars? A 600cc sport bike, is faster then that vast majority of cars, and has better acceleration then all of them, so why don't all sport car drivers get bored of their sports cars within a couple weeks?

'80 Suzuki GS 450

Scott58
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#20 Unread post by Scott58 »

Sorry frog, but well over 30 years ago 1000cc bikes were still on the drawing board. Unless your talking old indians and harleys
05 Honda Rebel
04 Spitfire Cub-24
05Suzuki S50