Harley Questions

Digginit
Regular
Regular
Sex: Male

#31 Unread post by Digginit »

Gummiente wrote:
But even within the Harley family we have our problems... I rode a Sportster for 7yrs and 120,000km and had to endure comments every day about "half-a-Harley", "girl's bike" and other comments like that. I found that the overwhelming majority of these people were only parroting what they'd heard other Harley riders say - they'd never ridden a Sporty themselves.
I HATE that! I think Sportsters are cool. I want one. But, meanwhile, people (who obviously don't know their bikes) who see me on my Wide Glide often ask me if it's an "883." WTF? They assume because I'm a chick I ride an 883. Nothing's wrong with one, and I'd love to have one. But what's up with calling a sportster a Girl's bike. [/end rant]

linz
Some days it's just not worth gnawing through the straps

Gummiente
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#32 Unread post by Gummiente »

Digginit wrote:But what's up with calling a sportster a Girl's bike.
I never did figure that one out. Maybe because a lot of women ride them? I dunno. But it reminds me of this one twit I was talking to at a rally many years ago... my Sporty was always a head turner (I'd done lots of mods to it) and it had 110,000km on it at that time. This idiot was checking it out and when I walked up he said "Nice bike! I wouldn't be caught dead on one, you know - with it being a girl's bike and all, but this one is nice." So I wandered over to his bone stock 4 year old Softail and looked at his odometer... 4,000km. Typical. I just walked away and ignored him.
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

old-n-slow
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#33 Unread post by old-n-slow »

Gummiente wrote:
Digginit wrote: So I wandered over to his bone stock 4 year old Softail and looked at his odometer... 4,000km. Typical. I just walked away and ignored him.
Ya shudda at least laughed loudly when you saw his milage. Ha ha.

I got passed the other day by a rider on an electraglide. Generally another biker will at least look at you and nod (this was in the city, not highway) We were both headed to the same place but he was not looking at me or nodding. Perhaps he was miffed becuase my ride was louder than his. :lol:

I gathered it was his way of letting me know that my sporty didn't stack up to his glide. As if I cared. Ha ha. The truth be known, get in the twisties and the glide will be eating sportster dust unless there are straight stretches and even at that he'll be hard pressed if the sportster is a 1200.
GarryS ---- "We learn from experience that men never learn anything from experience."

CentralOzzy
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 42
My Motorcycle: Yamaha XJR-1300/Harley-Davidson Roadking

#34 Unread post by CentralOzzy »

Hey....nothing wrong with Sportsters! I have a 1200!

I love it as an A$$ kickin city machine....plus my wife can ride it as well.... :lol: