Harley Questions

clueless
Site Supporter - Bronze
Site Supporter - Bronze
Sex: Male

Harley Questions

#1 Unread post by clueless »

Starting which year did HD built bikes with the counter balancer? Does that made a big difference? Carb or EFI? I'm interested in a used softail standard, thanks.

poppygene
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#2 Unread post by poppygene »

2000, I think. The Fatboy got the counterbalancer first, if memory serves. I'm not sure when they added it to other bikes in their lineup. Yes it does make a difference. A big one, especially for long distance touring. Go EFI if you can get it.
Let me get this straight... it's one down and four up, right?

[img]http://img93.exs.cx/img93/7837/aread0hm.gif[/img]

clueless
Site Supporter - Bronze
Site Supporter - Bronze

#3 Unread post by clueless »

Actually, I want to know which year of the softail standard has the counterbalancer. I search the web and got conflicting info.

CentralOzzy
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 42
My Motorcycle: Yamaha XJR-1300/Harley-Davidson Roadking

#4 Unread post by CentralOzzy »

As far as I know the Twin Cam 88-B's came out in 2000.

All Twin Cam 88-B's are "Balanced" & therefore much smoother for all the folks who can't handle a bit of 'Natural Harley' vibration.

"Introduced in 1984 with one humble model, the FXST Softail, the current lineup of Softails boasts six models. These can most easily be categorized as 'with floorboards' and 'without floorboards'. For the uninitiated, the Softail's calling card is its classic hardtail look (no rear suspension), supported by a hidden suspension system. The second constant for Softails is a rigid-mounted engine. Both features remain firmly intact for the next millennium.

TWIN CAM 88B

The new Softails boast "Twin Cam 88B" engines, a variation of the motor that debuted in 1999. The 'B' either stands for the letter past 'A' or the 'B' in "counter-balanced." Yes, that is correct, the new rigidly mounted Softail engine has twin counter rotating balancers to cancel out primary vibration.

Like most Harley "improvements," this one should receive mixed reviews from the faithful. Most people will cheer counter-balancing as a long overdue civilizing feature, and now perhaps Heritage Softail owners will not trade in their bike for a Road King after two years. However, there will be a sizable and vocal minority of riders who will groan at the loss of intimacy with their 45° bone and paint shaker."

keysman
Site Supporter - Platinum

#5 Unread post by keysman »

Having never ridden a Harley I don't understand why you would want a bone shaker. Is it just tradition? Oz do you have any insight on that? Are you yourself against measures to soften the ride or do you welcome these changes? Some of the bikes not have rubber mounted engines too right?
New Hotness: 2005 Yamaha FJR1300
Old & Busted: 2003 BMW F650CS

clueless
Site Supporter - Bronze
Site Supporter - Bronze

#6 Unread post by clueless »

Having never ridden a Harley I don't understand why you would want a bone shaker.

Totally agree. My ACE750 vibs alot also. I heard that the Japanese tried to copy HD, even the vib.

CentralOzzy
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond

#7 Unread post by CentralOzzy »

I guess this all stems from the fact that most people are used to riding multi cylinder bikes which by nature are very smooth.

I also have started this way, but when I first rode a Harley (Lowrider)back in 1978, I was hooked on the bike...which to me had some personality & I quite enjoyed the vibrations. These days with the rubber mounted & balanced engines, in my opinion the vibes are negligible.

So it's hard to hear people criticizing the 'bone-shaking' Harley's when I reckon the vibes are just NOT a problem at all.....especially compared to what they used to be like.

Could it be that most non 'V-Twin' riders out there are somewhat spoiled by the super smooth bikes that they ride or is just the "Sissy Factor"?

Hey Keysman....how do you know it's a 'Bone Shaker' if you havn't ridden one? Why don't you ride a 2000 plus model Demo Roadking or similar rubber Mounted Harley & see for yourself what it's like?

I think you'd find they don't vibrate any more than a typical Boxer engine does. (?)

BuzZz
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#8 Unread post by BuzZz »

Just curious Al, how the H.D. vibes rate against something like a 500cc 2-stroke. That is seriously vibey configuration, I know from experiance, the vibes can make the levers vibe so hard they smack (painfully) your fingers if they are too close to the lever but not touching.

Granted I never rode a Harley, but I've done some vibration analysis on many engine types. A single crankpin V-twin has lower frequency and amplitude modulations than a single with similar sized piston bores.

I figured you have ridden both, so you'd be the Dude to ask.
No Witnesses.... :shifty:

CentralOzzy
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond

#9 Unread post by CentralOzzy »

BuzZz wrote:Just curious Al, how the H.D. vibes rate against something like a 500cc 2-stroke. That is seriously vibey configuration, I know from experiance, the vibes can make the levers vibe so hard they smack (painfully) your fingers if they are too close to the lever but not touching.

Granted I never rode a Harley, but I've done some vibration analysis on many engine types. A single crankpin V-twin has lower frequency and amplitude modulations than a single with similar sized piston bores.

I figured you have ridden both, so you'd be the Dude to ask.
As you say BuzZz, " a V-twin has lower frequency and amplitude modulations" so because of this there is no real "Lever Smack" to speak of.... :wink: Go do the Harley Demo day sometime & check it all out for yourself, who knows, you might enjoy the experience. I know I do when I ride a different bike for the first time.
Regards, AL.

BuzZz
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#10 Unread post by BuzZz »

If This came strolling up to you asking to ride your Harley, would give it to him?????? :laughing:

No Witnesses.... :shifty: