VStar 650 Silverado vs Ninja 650R

MidSSouth
Regular
Regular

VStar 650 Silverado vs Ninja 650R

#1 Unread post by MidSSouth »

Ok, I'm in the market for a second bike but I can't decide. I've been drooling over the 650 Ninja since I saw it at a bike show in January. However, I've already got the 250 so I really don't need 2 sport bikes. Granted, the 650 has about double the power and is probably a lot more exciting to ride, not to mention looks a lot better. I like some features, like fuel injection and dual disk brakes, but other like the chain drive and no centerstand I'm not hot on.

The V Star Silverado, on the other hand, is more practical. It has bags and a windshield. Cruiser seating instead of standard seating so I would imagine it would be better on long rides. But with forward controls and the extra weight it would probably be worse around town. IMHO the Silverado is a better looking bike but would also be harder to keep clean. This one has carberators and a drum brake but gets plusses for having shaft drive.

Opinions? If I get the Ninja I don't really see the need to keep the 250. If I get the Silverado I'm definately keeping the 250 for daily use and just taking the Silverado out for bike nights and cruises or long trips.

:frusty: :frusty: :frusty: :frusty:

Oh, if anyone wants to loan me about 10k I will get both :D
2006 Red Ninja 250 (SOLD :( )
2006 Silver Ninja 650
2005 Suzuki Boulevard C50

Bubba
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Sex: Male

#2 Unread post by Bubba »

I ride the 1700 Silverado. 700 lbs and no problam around town. Great on the long haul.
2004 Yamaha Midnight Silverado
<-------------------------------------

Ken
Rookie
Rookie

250 vs 650

#3 Unread post by Ken »

I really don't think you'll be satisfied even on the V-Star 650 Silverado for any lengthy trip. If your a lightweight (lets say 150-175 pounds) you might enjoy it better than I did. I started out this summer on a V-Star 650 too, (after several years without a bike) and guessed it'd be sufficient; but one 50 mile ride told me different! I traded it back in with only 800 miles on it because I couldn't haul me and my gal comfortably any distance nor could I stay on the seat for longer than 15 miles myself without butt pain. Incidentially I weight just under 200 pounds. The good part about the 650 is it handles great in the curve sections, it gets decent MPG's and is pretty cheap to purchase. If your gonna ride solo mostly, and are less than 175 pounds, disgregard my thoughts, otherwise, please consider them.

MidSSouth
Regular
Regular

#4 Unread post by MidSSouth »

What's the problem on long distances other than the seat? Oh, since the 07's don't have studded leather which is one of the things I like I am seriously considering a Suzuki Boulevard C50T; fuel injection, shaft drive, bags and a shield. Going to look at them today :twisted:
2006 Red Ninja 250 (SOLD :( )
2006 Silver Ninja 650
2005 Suzuki Boulevard C50

Bubba
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#5 Unread post by Bubba »

MidSSouth wrote:What's the problem on long distances other than the seat? Oh, since the 07's don't have studded leather which is one of the things I like I am seriously considering a Suzuki Boulevard C50T; fuel injection, shaft drive, bags and a shield. Going to look at them today :twisted:
Suzuki makes a fine bike. I've had three of them. Only problems I have with Suzuki is ease of maintenance and lack of quality. (that's why they sell so cheep).
Check out the Yamaha too. A few more bucks but a much better built bike.
2004 Yamaha Midnight Silverado
<-------------------------------------

canuckerjay
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#6 Unread post by canuckerjay »

Brother, I've got the V*1100. I'm really happy with it, and think it's a great cruiser for the money.

But so you know, my bike will purr at 100 km/hr, humm at 110, yell at 125 and scream at 140. It'll do that speed and more, but does not do it effortlessly.

Most I talk to with the 650 say the lack of power on thier machines is much worse. Around here, one of the most predominant bikes in the Bike Trader every week is V*650s. The engines are bullet proof, but leave riders wanting more.
Wherever you may roam
May you own your road.