Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki or Yamaha?

.lonerider.
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

#1 Unread post by .lonerider. »

O.K, I currently ride a '78 Goldwing, and am shopping around for something else, all the japanese Cruisers are kewl! Can't make up my mind between Honda Shadow Sabre 1100 or a VTX 1300 or a Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Classic, or Vulcan 1500 Classic or Suzuki Intruder 1400, 1500, 1600 or a Yamaha V - Star 1100 Silverado. I spose I'll buy whatever I can find the best deal on, from about 1999 to 2004, as I like them all. Anyone have any experiences with any of these, good or bad? Thanks. lonerider.
"Lonerider"

.lonerider.
Rookie
Rookie

#2 Unread post by .lonerider. »

I took a drive to the Honda Shop today and tried out a couple bikes on my "want" list, a 1100 Sabre and a VTX 1300. Both '04's, I think. The Shadow wasn't near what I thought it might be, enough power, but vibration and not such a smooth ride. The VTX 1300 was better, but not as smooth as my 'ole '78 Wing. To be perfectly honest, I wouldn't give my Wing up for either one! So, now it's on to the Yamaha's, Kawasaki's and Suzuki's to see if they're any better. Also, the Honda Valkarie is starting to look better and better all the time, will try out one of them, also.
"Lonerider"

TechTMW
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 2005 BMW R1200GS

#3 Unread post by TechTMW »

Hate to tell you this, but your wing engine has probably the smoothest m/c engine on the planet (With the exception of the later 6-cyl wings and valkyries)

In other words, anything with a v-twin is going to seem really vibey to you. Try out the Valkyrie ... i've heard they pull like a freight train and handle very well for the genre.

Maybe it's not your style, but a great bike to consider w/ a smooth engine is the Honda ST1300 sport touring bike. The V-4 is much smoother than a twin.
“People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use.”
- Soren Kierkegaard (19th century Danish philosopher)

ChopperCharles
Rookie
Rookie

Wing to modern ride

#4 Unread post by ChopperCharles »

Well, going from a 78 wing you're going to pretty much be disappointed with the entire crop of current bikes. I'm taking it your wing is Standard, and undressed. So you're used to a smooth powerplant with lots of torque and plenty of horsepower.

To get that from a cruiser, you'll have to go with one of the following:
Honda Magna. Discontinued in 2004. 80hp V-4. 550lbs
Honda Valkyrie. Discontinued in 2004. 105hp flat-6. 800lbs
Yamaha Royal Star. Made in the early 90's, then discontinued, now Yamaha is out with a new version with a beefier engine. 70hp 790lbs (90's) or 98hp 880lbs. (2005). V-4. HUGE bike.
Yamaha V-Max. not exactly a cruiser, but 120hp of balls-to-the-walls fun.

I'm in the same boat as you. My primary ride is an 84 V65 Magna. I'm used to a super smooth 116hp, shaft drive, water cooled, triple-disc braked cruiser with adjustable suspension (anti-dive, rebound, damping, and preload) and decent cornering clearance. I haven't found anything worth replacing it for yet.

Charles.
02 Ace 750
84 V65 Magna
82 CX500 Chopper
81 XV750 Virago
75 GL1000 (in pieces)
71 Kawasaki F7 175 Enduro
[color=red]Location: Chapel Hill, NC[/color]
http://www.cxboard.netfirms.com

[img]http://v4hondabbs.com/uploads/photo-245.jpg[/img]

mikepel
Rookie
Rookie

#5 Unread post by mikepel »

If you liked your wing but want something sportier, you have to try a Yamaha FJR 1300. I used to have a yamaha venture ( a wing want a be). The FJR will give you the thrill of your life and you can still take your wife out on a long tour in comfort. My wife finds the FJR more comfortable and smoother. She'd always tapped me on the shoulder if she thought I was going a little too fast. Now I get up to 85 on the highway and she doesn't notice it. :motorcycle:

poppygene
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#6 Unread post by poppygene »

I don't know about the other V-Twins, but the Vulcans have a gear-driven counterbalance. I rode a 1500FI model a few years back... you still feel the motor, but it's a very low frequency vibe and didn't disturb me one bit. They just may be the smoothest V-Twin out there.
Tech's right - the Valkyrie is one awesome bike. I test rode one once and I gotta tell you I fell in love with it. I'd have bought it but I just couldn't fit it into my budget. It's gotta be my favorite cruiser of all time. Too bad we don't get them in the States anymore. You might pick up a nice used one or locate a leftover somewhere.
Let me get this straight... it's one down and four up, right?

[img]http://img93.exs.cx/img93/7837/aread0hm.gif[/img]

.lonerider.
Rookie
Rookie

Re:

#7 Unread post by .lonerider. »

I went out and hit a couple bike shops yesterday, tried a '84 V65 Magna, the bike was a piece of junk, but rode better than a V-Twin. I than tried a '97 Valk, WOW!!! It had all the power, all the torque, all the everything else you could want. I stopped at another dealer and rode a '03 Yamaha Road Star or Royal Star, forget for sure. It was a better ride than the Hondas I previously tried, but still that V-Twin vibration and not near the power as the Valk or my Wing as far as that goes. I would bet right now that the Valk will be my next ride, I still have Suzuki and Kawasaki left to try yet, but I don't think neither will do after the Valk ride.
"Lonerider"

.lonerider.
Rookie
Rookie

#8 Unread post by .lonerider. »

Went out and bought me a 2000 Valk Standard with under 8,000 miles. I love the beautiful black Lady Dragon. Now, my shopping is done with. lonerider. Anyone want to buy a '78 Goldwing in exceptional good shape? Will post on the "For Sale" section at a later date.
"Lonerider"

Alleycat
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki or Yamaha?

#9 Unread post by Alleycat »

.lonerider. wrote:O.K, I currently ride a '78 Goldwing, and am shopping around for something else, all the japanese Cruisers are kewl! Can't make up my mind between Honda Shadow Sabre 1100 or a VTX 1300 or a Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Classic, or Vulcan 1500 Classic or Suzuki Intruder 1400, 1500, 1600 or a Yamaha V - Star 1100 Silverado. I spose I'll buy whatever I can find the best deal on, from about 1999 to 2004, as I like them all. Anyone have any experiences with any of these, good or bad? Thanks. lonerider.
I have a 2000 Roadstar Silverado which I am considering trading on the new Kawasaki 1600 Vulcan. I found the Silverado did not have the OOMPH that I wanted in the top end as well as it was a "dog" to scrape off rubber heels off the exhausts foot pegs in wrong place as well as the turning radius was like an eighteen wheeler (I can just hear the moans already) thats ok I like to stir it up. Whitewalls are a total "dog" to keep clean especialy the back one plus spokes are hard to keep clean as well and the leather bags the tops collapse. Hope this sheds some light. I am taking the Kawasaki out for a test ride on Wednesday maybe I should take the new Silveardo out as well. Beefed up engine compared to 1600.

CentralOzzy
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 42
My Motorcycle: Yamaha XJR-1300/Harley-Davidson Roadking

#10 Unread post by CentralOzzy »

Congrats on the new 2000 Valk! lonerider.... :wink:
Now lets see some Pix of your Bike.
CLICK