New to street from dirt, looking for first used cruiser-help

RocketMan
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

New to street from dirt, looking for first used cruiser-help

#1 Unread post by RocketMan »

I have ridden dirt bikes for the past 3 years, a 300cc Kawasaki. I am now selling my dirt bike to get on the street and I know I want a cruiser. I've been reading this forum for a week or so and I'm trying to nail down what to look for in buying a used cruiser. All I will have to deal with is about $3,250 (for bike, I have other cash for gear).

The models I think I should be looking for are (600-800cc):
Kawasaki Vulcan
Yamaha V-Star
Suzuki Intruder or Marauder
Honda Shadow VLX

Do you have any input on the above models as for quality, reliability, user-friendliness (noob friendly)? I feel bombarded with choices, I browse the local trader and see all of these bikes available. I have read about shaft, belt and chain driven differences, center-of-gravity differences and I'm just not sure what is best. I'd really like to hear from those who own the above bikes as every salesman sounds the same when I'm in sitting on THE BIKES (edited). :oops:

So far I have been able to sit on a Yamaha V-Star Custom & Classic, a Honda VLX and a Kawasaki Vulcan. Unfortunately I can't decide on which I like best. So far I think the V-Star's and then the Vulcan. I have to do some more sitting to decide.

Thanks for any and all help guys, I really appreciate it. BTW, I am 28, 5'10" and 165lbs. I like long walks at sunset and reading...oh wait, sorry, wrong post. :laughing:

Thanks!
Last edited by RocketMan on Mon Jun 19, 2006 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

VermilionX
Super Legendary 5000
Super Legendary 5000
Years Riding: 6
My Motorcycle: '06 Suzuki GSX-R 750

Re: New to street from dirt, looking for first used cruiser-

#2 Unread post by VermilionX »

RocketMan wrote:I'd really like to hear from those who own the above bikes as every salesman sounds the same when I'm in sitting on them.
did they at least buy you a drink?

:roll2:
Bikes Owned:
Gixxer 1000 K6 (stolen)
Gixxer 750 K6

Bikes Wanted:
VMAX
a super kewl cafe racer

RocketMan
Rookie
Rookie

Re: New to street from dirt, looking for first used cruiser-

#3 Unread post by RocketMan »

VermilionX wrote:
RocketMan wrote:I'd really like to hear from those who own the above bikes as every salesman sounds the same when I'm in sitting on them.
did they at least buy you a drink?

:roll2:
:laughing: :oops: Did I say that out loud?

bok
Site Supporter - Platinum

#4 Unread post by bok »

honestly any of those bikes sound decent. not sure what prices are like in your area, but good luck with the hunt.
[url=http://www.toocoolmotorcycleschool.com]Best Motorcycle School[/url]
[url=http://flickr.com/groups/tmw/]Post your Pics[/url]
[url=http://www.californiabikenights.com/learn/]Learn to Ride[/url]

sharpmagna
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#5 Unread post by sharpmagna »

Of those bikes you listed, I'd get the Vulcan 750. The bike is shaft driven (lower maintenance), mag wheels so they have tubless tires, and the valves are hydraulically adjusted (self adjusting). I also like the 80s Japanese bikes, so I'm kind of biased in that aspect.
1987 Honda <B>SUPER</B> Magna
[i]Bikesexual - I like to ride it long and hard...[/i]

FlyerPhil
Elite
Elite

#6 Unread post by FlyerPhil »

sharpmagna wrote:Of those bikes you listed, I'd get the Vulcan 750. The bike is shaft driven (lower maintenance), mag wheels so they have tubless tires, and the valves are hydraulically adjusted (self adjusting). I also like the 80s Japanese bikes, so I'm kind of biased in that aspect.
I'm with the other Magna owner :D

The 750 Vulcan is the most technically advanced of the bikes you named, though its styling is older. There is also probably a larger used selection of them.

V-Stars are nice but seem pricey to me, getting one for $3200 without a problem would probably be difficult.

The Marauder is a nice bike though it lacks the easy maintenance things (its a chain and manual valves) but there is a great online community for it.

Intruders are nice as well but you should stay away from the older ones with the 21" front wheel which makes steering harder. I think they changed it to a 19" in the late 90s.

I don't really like the VLX but I'm a pretty big guy. If it fits you it should work fine. It just looks and feels a bit too basic to me.

RocketMan
Rookie
Rookie

#7 Unread post by RocketMan »

Thanks for your advice guys, though if others want to chime in, I would be interested.

I really do like the Vulcan, which seems like a good choice due to its technical advantages and lower prices. For instance, I found a 2000 Kawasaki Vulcan 750 locally for $3000. Mileage might have been high, I cant remember, though a great price!! My buddy has a Vulcan, its the first cruiser I really took a hard look at.

Thanks again!! :mrgreen:

DivideOverflow
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#8 Unread post by DivideOverflow »

The VLX is pretty weak, and only has 4 gears.

I'd probably go with the Vulcan too.. V-Stars sound like a sewing machine until you swap the exhaust. I heard one on the road and thought it was my own cam noise and got concerned for a bit. I heard it over the kerker slipons on my VF700F :shock:
2008 BMW K1200S
2003 Z1000 - For Sale
1979 KZ650B - Work in progress
2005 Ducati SS 1000DS - sold :'(
1994 VFR750 Interceptor - sold
1984 VF700F Interceptor - sold
2004 Hyosung GV250 - sold

bok

#9 Unread post by bok »

too lazy to look on a map as to where you are, but you could look at something like this 650 Vstar, 10k miles for $3100...lots of extra stuff (no it's not me trying to sell it lol)

Craigslist - Ann arbor
[url=http://www.toocoolmotorcycleschool.com]Best Motorcycle School[/url]
[url=http://flickr.com/groups/tmw/]Post your Pics[/url]
[url=http://www.californiabikenights.com/learn/]Learn to Ride[/url]

RocketMan
Rookie
Rookie

#10 Unread post by RocketMan »

bok wrote:too lazy to look on a map as to where you are, but you could look at something like this 650 Vstar, 10k miles for $3100...lots of extra stuff (no it's not me trying to sell it lol)

Craigslist - Ann arbor
Ann Arbor? I'm in Ann Arbor right now! :laughing: It is where I work. I live about 45 minutes from here. This is a great deal, great looking bike. I am going to look into this one.

Thanks a lot!