Bike Order

Penguin_master
Rookie
Rookie

Bike Order

#1 Unread post by Penguin_master »

Here is my backstory. I bought a 50cc (yes fifty) tomos arrow as my first bike. I also have a Honda CM400 in the garage, but that thing hasn't been ridden since I was maybe six, so thirteen years. I am thinking of buying a KLR 650. Should I graduate to the cm400 (if I can get it working), or buy the KLR650 knowing that I know how to ride a bike, and then concentrate on getting the 400 working, or what? I personally think I will be fine, but I just wondered what yall think.

--Scott

dieziege
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#2 Unread post by dieziege »

KLR650 is an awesome bike and not a bad 1st/2nd bike at all....if you are tall enough. It is a tall bike ... if your legs are short (compared to the bike) you should hold off. Other than that... they are sweet and there are plenty of accessories to do anything from fun riding to touring across Alaska or South America.
Ride it like you think owning it matters.

Penguin_master
Rookie
Rookie

#3 Unread post by Penguin_master »

Well, I guess my question was, does a 50 cc moped really count as a motorcycle? I personally think it does, as far as learning how to ride. ANd I love that thing, for around the city stuff. But will I get an accurate feeling of what it's like to ride with a bike that can't go more than 30 by law?

I think I will, but i don't know. I've never ridden anything bigger.

--Scott

DivideOverflow
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Sex: Male

#4 Unread post by DivideOverflow »

You could learn on either the KLR or the 400. It sounds like the 400 needs some substantial work though (most bikes that sit that long do). So you might want to go ahead and buy something, and restore the 400 at the same time.
2008 BMW K1200S
2003 Z1000 - For Sale
1979 KZ650B - Work in progress
2005 Ducati SS 1000DS - sold :'(
1994 VFR750 Interceptor - sold
1984 VF700F Interceptor - sold
2004 Hyosung GV250 - sold

JCS
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#5 Unread post by JCS »

Sorry. A 50cc moped does not count as a motorcycle. A few of the basics are the same but that is about it.

Take the MSF course.

If you want to try the CM I have a shop manual I don't need anymore.
I would be the old, slow guy. Just let me know where you are going and I'll try to get there before you leave.

dieziege
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#6 Unread post by dieziege »

Around here, mopeds (if you see them at all) are skimming along the curb trying to stay out of the flow of traffic... motorcycles must play *in* traffic... leads to a totally different set of concerns. A better set IMO... riding a moped on the street would scare me. You still need (well, not need, but it is good) the MSF course and the like.

My point was that the KLR650 would be a great first bike if it fits you. The 400 would be good too but project bikes are, well, project bikes...
Ride it like you think owning it matters.

bok
Site Supporter - Platinum

#7 Unread post by bok »

about the only skills that will transfer are balance, traffic awareness and use of turn signals. Braking, shifting, lane position, cornering and such will all be significantly different that you may need a bit "more" training to get over some bad habits that you learned on the 50cc moped, than someone who has never ridden a motorcycle would need (ie. If your moped is set up with the rear brake on the right grip and the front on the left it may take longer to learn proper stopping/shifting techniques).

Do yourself a favor and take a MSF course, you can pick up a lot of good skills in a short amount of time at one.

If it doesnt take much cash to get the 400 up and running (and street legal) i would say go for that, but the 650 does sound nice :)
[url=http://www.toocoolmotorcycleschool.com]Best Motorcycle School[/url]
[url=http://flickr.com/groups/tmw/]Post your Pics[/url]
[url=http://www.californiabikenights.com/learn/]Learn to Ride[/url]

Penguin_master
Rookie
Rookie

#8 Unread post by Penguin_master »

That's actually funny because it doesn't have turn signals. So I have to use hand signals. Which sucks.

But it's fun and I'm going to install turn signals when I get to it.

SO I guess I'll just get a licence and drop six thousand on the KLR. Ok. Thanks.

--Scott

DivideOverflow
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#9 Unread post by DivideOverflow »

Penguin_master wrote:That's actually funny because it doesn't have turn signals. So I have to use hand signals. Which sucks.

But it's fun and I'm going to install turn signals when I get to it.

SO I guess I'll just get a licence and drop six thousand on the KLR. Ok. Thanks.

--Scott
6 grand? Can't find any used ones? That is a lot to spend on a first bike.

I barely spen't 6 grand total for ALL my bikes. (the three in my sig + a 2004 Hyosung GV250 that I sold)
2008 BMW K1200S
2003 Z1000 - For Sale
1979 KZ650B - Work in progress
2005 Ducati SS 1000DS - sold :'(
1994 VFR750 Interceptor - sold
1984 VF700F Interceptor - sold
2004 Hyosung GV250 - sold

bok

#10 Unread post by bok »

if you have 6 grand to dump on a first bike, take a couple hundred of that and take the MSF course. This will give you a chance to try out a few different bikes and give you some very valuable training in a controlled environment.
[url=http://www.toocoolmotorcycleschool.com]Best Motorcycle School[/url]
[url=http://flickr.com/groups/tmw/]Post your Pics[/url]
[url=http://www.californiabikenights.com/learn/]Learn to Ride[/url]