Gadjet
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 19
My Motorcycle: 2020 KTM 200 Duke

#11 Unread post by Gadjet »

Sevulturus wrote:
bok wrote:As far as reliability goes, i'd say Gadjet wouldn't own it if it wasn't reliable. He does iron butt rides on that thing and looooooong trips that would make Gold Wing guys jealous. if he was constantly having to fix it, or there was something better out there, he'd probably have it.
snrk, you shoulda been on the last ride :P
Damn right. There were times on that weekend when I just wanted to push the frickin' thing off a cliff. Combine a toasted drive chain with a torn carb diaphragm and you have a perfect recipe for a thoroughly unpleasant ride.

Pleased to say the torn diaphragm was replaced under warranty, and a new drive chain cost me $20 (plus $20 for a chain tool. Thank you Princess Auto :thumbsup: )

Bike is running like a champ once again.
1983 Suzuki GS650GL (sold)
2005 Kawasaki KLR 650 (sold)
2020 KTM 200 Duke
IBA#20953
IG: @greenmanwc

KarateChick
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#12 Unread post by KarateChick »

Gadjet - glad you got that bike running properly again!!
Ya right, :wink: there are only 2 kinds of bikes: It's a Ninja... look that one's a Harley... oh there's a Ninja... Harley...Ninja...

[img]http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j135/KarateChick_2006/IMG_1245_1.jpg[/img]

MotoF150
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#13 Unread post by MotoF150 »

There are only 2 TRUE Dual Sport Bikes the Suzuki DRZ400S, and the Honda XL650R, these 2 bikes are the only bikes that can handle both off road and on road riding. The Kawasaki and Suzuki 650 are street bikes only!
2011 Toyota Tacoma 4x4, 09 Yamaha Tmax, 08 Suzuki King Quad 750

Mintbread
Legendary 1500
Legendary 1500

#14 Unread post by Mintbread »

MotoF150 wrote:There are only 2 TRUE Dual Sport Bikes the Suzuki DRZ400S, and the Honda XL650R, these 2 bikes are the only bikes that can handle both off road and on road riding. The Kawasaki and Suzuki 650 are street bikes only!
What exactly do you base that on?
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v392/mintbread1/header.gif[/img]

roscowgo
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#15 Unread post by roscowgo »

He bases it on craziness.

MotoF150
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#16 Unread post by MotoF150 »

I base that on my past dirt bike, motocross riding experiences. You can abuse and jump and ride the DRZ400 and the XL650R the same way you ride any motocross bike, but the Kawasaki 650 and the Suzuki 650 cannot perform off road not even close to any dirt or motocross bike. I once owned a 2003 Suzuki DRZ400Z and I ran it hard on motocross tracks, I have jumped it 15 to 20 feet, it climbed vertical hills, plus when I dumped it it was lightweight enough I can pick it up myself. The ONLY bike it could'nt keep up with was the Honda CRF450, I was so impressed with the Honda CRF450 I bought one. I have seen the Suzuki and Kawasaki 650's in action and the 80cc dirt bikes outperformed them offroad. BUT ON-ROAD the 650's are great
2011 Toyota Tacoma 4x4, 09 Yamaha Tmax, 08 Suzuki King Quad 750

Gadjet
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 19
My Motorcycle: 2020 KTM 200 Duke

#17 Unread post by Gadjet »

MotoF150 wrote:I base that on my past dirt bike, motocross riding experiences. You can abuse and jump and ride the DRZ400 and the XL650R the same way you ride any motocross bike, but the Kawasaki 650 and the Suzuki 650 cannot perform off road not even close to any dirt or motocross bike. I once owned a 2003 Suzuki DRZ400Z and I ran it hard on motocross tracks, I have jumped it 15 to 20 feet, it climbed vertical hills, plus when I dumped it it was lightweight enough I can pick it up myself. The ONLY bike it could'nt keep up with was the Honda CRF450, I was so impressed with the Honda CRF450 I bought one. I have seen the Suzuki and Kawasaki 650's in action and the 80cc dirt bikes outperformed them offroad. BUT ON-ROAD the 650's are great
In case you weren't aware, the KLR650 and DR650 are not Motocross bikes. They are Dual Purpose bikes. This means that you can ride them both on pavement and off pavement.

Guess what. I've ridden my KLR650 down atv trails, 4x4 trails, and through sand, as well as numerous dirt and gravel roads. Handled like a charm.

Also, it's very easy for a 5'8", 150lb guy to pick up, even with a full tank of fuel (I've done it in under 10 seconds actually).

I've also ridden it through torn up development areas that would rattle the teeth of someone on a MX bike.

Off Road does not mean 'Motocross Track'

It means 'Off Pavement'

Don't believe me?

Here's a pic of the trail that I took when I went camping May long.

This would also be off-road

If you don't believe the KLR650 can go off road, I suggest you check out the ADVRider and KLR650.net forums.
1983 Suzuki GS650GL (sold)
2005 Kawasaki KLR 650 (sold)
2020 KTM 200 Duke
IBA#20953
IG: @greenmanwc

NOVAgator87
Rookie
Rookie

#18 Unread post by NOVAgator87 »

That first pic you posted of the KLR in the woods...that's exactly what I envision when I think of my self on a dual-sport. Anyways, I'm considering the KLR as of now, since it seems to get rave reviews everywhere I go. I loved the super sherpa, and someone said it was basically the baby brother of the KLR650. Now I just need to scrape together the money and find a decent used one. :frusty:
It's Great..To Be..A Flor-i-da Gator!

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#19 Unread post by Sev »

Gadjet wrote:
MotoF150 wrote:I base that on my past dirt bike, motocross riding experiences. You can abuse and jump and ride the DRZ400 and the XL650R the same way you ride any motocross bike, but the Kawasaki 650 and the Suzuki 650 cannot perform off road not even close to any dirt or motocross bike. I once owned a 2003 Suzuki DRZ400Z and I ran it hard on motocross tracks, I have jumped it 15 to 20 feet, it climbed vertical hills, plus when I dumped it it was lightweight enough I can pick it up myself. The ONLY bike it could'nt keep up with was the Honda CRF450, I was so impressed with the Honda CRF450 I bought one. I have seen the Suzuki and Kawasaki 650's in action and the 80cc dirt bikes outperformed them offroad. BUT ON-ROAD the 650's are great
In case you weren't aware, the KLR650 and DR650 are not Motocross bikes. They are Dual Purpose bikes. This means that you can ride them both on pavement and off pavement.

Guess what. I've ridden my KLR650 down atv trails, 4x4 trails, and through sand, as well as numerous dirt and gravel roads. Handled like a charm.

Also, it's very easy for a 5'8", 150lb guy to pick up, even with a full tank of fuel (I've done it in under 10 seconds actually).

I've also ridden it through torn up development areas that would rattle the teeth of someone on a MX bike.

Off Road does not mean 'Motocross Track'

It means 'Off Pavement'

Don't believe me?

Here's a pic of the trail that I took when I went camping May long.

If you don't believe the KLR650 can go off road, I suggest you check out the ADVRider and KLR650.net forums.
LoL, someone just got smoked.

Nice pics Gadjet
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

NOVAgator87
Rookie
Rookie

I know what I said before, but....

#20 Unread post by NOVAgator87 »

So I don't think I'm going to get a dual sport anymore :shock: I've been working all summer to make enough money to buy a motorcycle. In a week I'll move down to FL and get back to the whole college thing, but I'll also be buying a new motorcycle for myself. Since my last post, I've been doing research on bikes (what else of course :wink: ). As much as I still like the dual sport class, I think I'd be more comfy on a cruiser, especially since I expect my bike to get get me up and down the East Coast on those holidays. That being said, I'm aiming for a Suzuki C50, and lo and behold, Gainesville has a Suzuki dealership 3 miles from the campus :D As far as I can tell, people speak pretty highly of the bike, so now my biggest fear is the dealership will be a bunch of jerks :|

Oh, and if anyone wants to know why I like the C50...
1. Fuel injection!
2. Shaft drive
3. Water cooled
4. Floorboards

I don't like the laced wheels, but it's not a deal breaker for me. I like the M50's look too, but it's more expensive and you don't get floorboards! Anyways, anyone who wants to put in their two cents, that's cool. I've got a week to sit on my decision.
It's Great..To Be..A Flor-i-da Gator!