A Dual Sporter is Born!

NOVAgator87
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

A Dual Sporter is Born!

#1 Unread post by NOVAgator87 »

Hi everyone, love the site. Two weekends ago, I took the MSF course. Since I was the tallest one there at about 6'3", I was issued the lone dual sport, a Kawasaki Super Sherpa. I was alright with that, because I had been eyeing it before the course started b/c of its unique look compared to the other bikes. Anyways, in the course of two days, I fell in love with the bike, and the dual sport category in general. Being someone who loves the outdoors, the appeal of having a vehicle as versatile as a Jeep for off-roading makes me salivate :laughing: .

The bottom line: I want a dual sport! What are your suggestions?

Please consider my uses for it, as well as my main concerns...

I will be using it on roads and highways.
Reliability is my largest concern (biggest fear is the bike dying when I'm out in the woods).
I need a bike capable of hauling some gear, specifically, camping gear. Granted, that depends on your bags to an extent, but weight capacity needs to be considered (I weigh 190 lbs).

Thanks mates!
It's Great..To Be..A Flor-i-da Gator!

Gadjet
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 19
My Motorcycle: 2020 KTM 200 Duke

#2 Unread post by Gadjet »

KLR650, the Super Sherpa's very capable big brother

but then I'm biased.

Check out pics of my ride Here

Bike has been modified over the past year, as can be seen in the pics, with the newest pics being last in the album

Owen
1983 Suzuki GS650GL (sold)
2005 Kawasaki KLR 650 (sold)
2020 KTM 200 Duke
IBA#20953
IG: @greenmanwc

sharpmagna
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#3 Unread post by sharpmagna »

I've always been of the BMW F650GS but that's just me. Don't know if it's out of your price range, but it's a nice bike.
1987 Honda <B>SUPER</B> Magna
[i]Bikesexual - I like to ride it long and hard...[/i]

NOVAgator87
Rookie
Rookie

#4 Unread post by NOVAgator87 »

That KLR does look awesome! The BMW is probably out of my price range tho :'( but yeah, how does the KLR handle on/off road? Thanks for the suggestions too!

Gadjet
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 19
My Motorcycle: 2020 KTM 200 Duke

#5 Unread post by Gadjet »

With the stock tires, the KLR is relatively good on road, and passably decent off road - I wouldn't try any MX trails with them, but gravel and hardpack are fine.

I'm currently running Kenda K761 street tires on mine, as I do 95% pavement riding, and they are great on the street. Running these tires, I've scraped pegs, which for a bike as tall as the KLR is no mean feat. If you want to do more off pavement, there are lots of choices out there.
1983 Suzuki GS650GL (sold)
2005 Kawasaki KLR 650 (sold)
2020 KTM 200 Duke
IBA#20953
IG: @greenmanwc

Andrew
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#6 Unread post by Andrew »

Look for a used BMW. Reliability is outstanding and you should be able to find one a few years old for a reasonable price. That's what I did and I'm very happy with my decision.
2004 BMW K1200RS
[img]http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/images/smilies/BMWsmile.gif[/img]

bok
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum

#7 Unread post by bok »

i'm surprised it took Gadjet that long to respond to the original post :laughing:

I'd love to have a bike like that for those times when the paved roads just don't cut it.

As far as reliability goes, i'd say Gadjet wouldn't own it if it wasn't reliable. He does iron butt rides on that thing and looooooong trips that would make Gold Wing guys jealous. if he was constantly having to fix it, or there was something better out there, he'd probably have it.
[url=http://www.toocoolmotorcycleschool.com]Best Motorcycle School[/url]
[url=http://flickr.com/groups/tmw/]Post your Pics[/url]
[url=http://www.californiabikenights.com/learn/]Learn to Ride[/url]

NOVAgator87
Rookie
Rookie

#8 Unread post by NOVAgator87 »

Thanks for the suggestions guys :) I have been hearing rave reviews of the KLR everywhere I go online to research it. I was wondering if anyone reading this has tried the V-strom series put out by suzuki, since they claim it to be dual-purpose class. The bike seems very sleek for a dual-purpose, but if someone could vouch for it's off-roading and overall enjoyability, I would appreciate the variety in my search for a great dual-sport!

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#9 Unread post by Sev »

bok wrote:i'm surprised it took Gadjet that long to respond to the original post :laughing:

I'd love to have a bike like that for those times when the paved roads just don't cut it.

As far as reliability goes, i'd say Gadjet wouldn't own it if it wasn't reliable. He does iron butt rides on that thing and looooooong trips that would make Gold Wing guys jealous. if he was constantly having to fix it, or there was something better out there, he'd probably have it.
snrk, you shoulda been on the last ride :P
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

roscowgo
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#10 Unread post by roscowgo »

I have a friend who is on his way as we speak to sign a check for a brand spankin new KLR. :D

He's tickled pink.