My first bike, Hyosung GT 250?

GeoB
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Sex: Male

#11 Unread post by GeoB »

My niece has a motorcycle shop here in Fresno, CA, Fresno Motor Sports. She carries the Hyosung plus a few others. She graciously handed me the keys to the Comet (GT250) and the GT250R back-to-back Friday, without me having to beg.

I agree with most of the objective comments made about them here.

The brakes are not what I expected for a big disk brake. On my XR500R I just use a couple of fingers, here you can comfortably use more force. The dual-disk on the 250R was stronger, but not THAT much. I think a good set of pads would do wonders for it.

It is my belief that the GT250 Comet, and the GT250R both use the same 8-valve engine.

I didn't really like the tires. To be fair, I didn't even check the pressure... they weren't flat so I rode out. I didn't do any curvy roads, just some U-turns, but it felt like the tires wanted to slip even on that! Maybe they would be very different on a nice curvy road.

I think the bike IS physically big enough for a large male.

I didn't haul a passenger, it doesn't look like they would have much fun back there.

I didn't get to check top speed. I have heard all sorts of reports, from about 70 mph up to 115. Mid 90's seems to be the most often mentioned. I hope GreenFrogJSK is right, he said 170 kph (105mph). I haven't ridden a 250 in so many years I no longer have a feel for that... can't guess how fast it would haul my 220lbs around. I have most recently been on larger bikes, Moto Guzzis, BMWs, Hondas...

I did notice that both bikes would get me up to freeway speed in mere seconds. They weren't cammy, but did seem to 'get up on the cam' just a wee bit as I revved them towards 10k rpm. Mostly it was fairly straight power curve. They were not broken in, neither had more than 10 miles on them.

Let me remind us all that not everyone comes here with the same goal in mind. I have owned almost every make of motorcycle sometime in my life, at least the common ones. No Mammoth, no Brough Superior, no Excelsier. I have had over 150 motorcyles... and I stopped counting about 30 years ago. I have had one of the fastest bikes in town, and I have had the slowest!

At my age lots of us have 'been there, done that', and no longer need to go fast or feel our arms stretched from their sockets on take-off. I am interested in light weight, good mpg, reliability, good mpg, freeway speed, good mpg, good brakes, etc. Prolly lots of us old geezers feel that way.

William
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: Newest: '15 ZX-14R Ninja, plus 2 others.

#12 Unread post by William »

DivideOverflow wrote:
Bulwark wrote:Yes, Im leaning towards the 650 GT naked now. I think the 250 would just be a tad too small for me. Plus Id like to be able to take my wife on little jonts too. :P
I started on a Hyosung 250, really liked the engine as far as 250's go.

If you are looking at the 650's now, I would recommend you look at used SV650's. You can probably find one cheaper than a 650 GT, and they are more refined.. better, gear box, fuel consumption, etc.

It will probably be easier to get parts for suzuki also. That was my biggest complaint about hyosung down here in the states, the service was sparse, and it was hard to get parts.
I second that.

Go for a bike from a maker that has an established reputation, a large dealer network, and an aftermaket parts selection.

The SV650 is a better bike, and there's plenty of used ones.
1982 Suzuki GS1100GL, 2013 Victory Cross Country Tour, 2015 Kawasaki ZX-14R Ninja.

2006 Yamaha Wolverine 450 sport/4wd ATV, 2009 Yamaha Grizzly 550 EPS SE utility ATV

2006 Toyota Tacoma TRD 4wd 4 door, 2008 Toyota Highlander AWD

Born, raised, and spent most of my life in Florida until I moved to Farmington, New Mexico April 2011. Yes, I'm in the wonderful Four Corners area.

snwflk303
Regular
Regular

You people are great.

#13 Unread post by snwflk303 »

I enjoy reading comments about products good and bad from first hand experience without bashing. The Hyosung liooks like a nice ride. Personally I wouldn't go anything less than a 650. If your young and just scooting around town a 250 is great. I read that the Hyosong has 70 HP at the rear wheel at 9000RPM. but very low torque. My understanding is it would be great for one up and with a very light passenger.

sv-wolf
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Honda Fireblade, 2004: Suzuki DR650, 201

#14 Unread post by sv-wolf »

Hi Bulwark

I have a Hyosung GT125, which is a fun bike on the back roads, but I wouldn't like to have to live with it as my only ride.

Don't know what reviews you have been seeing, but of the Hyosung 125, 250 and 650 the GT250 has generally had the worst write-ups in the UK.

I've had a lot of trouble with carb icing with my 125 and the finish is very poor. What kind of weather do you have out your way?

I agree with snwflk the bikes don't appear to have a lot of torque - or power come to that. The 125 in particular carries a lot of weight, and its small engine doesn't exactly make it feel rocket powered. The official specs give it a top speed of 70mph, which is kinda true - if you are riding downhill, have a following wind and work hard at conserving speed.

The Hyosung GTs are modelled on the Suzuki SVs. (Hyosung used to have a contract with Suzuki and used their engines - then they developed their own) I've had both a Suzuki SV650 and SV1000. In my view and in the view of all of the reviewers I have read the Suzuki 650 is a much better bike than the GT equivalent for not much more money.

There's nothing wrong with going for a 250 as your first bike. It depends what you want it for. If you just want a short-haul communter bike and something to bimble around the backroads on at the weekends, then it could be an excellent idea. If you want it for anything else, then the likelihood is that you will soon grow out of it and want to move up to something bigger.

Issues you might like to consider. Resale value and saleability. I don't know how Hyosungs are selling in the U.S. but over here they still haven't taken off. Until they get better established, a Hyosung might not be so easy to sell on when you start to get itchy for something else. I tried to sell mine last year and couldn't find a single buyer. Check it out before you buy.

Dealerships. How conveniently local is your nearest Hyosung dealer? Have they got a decent network established over there yet?

I don't know why this came out so negative 'cos overall I like my 125.

Richard
Hud

“Man has no right to kill his brother. It is no excuse that he does so in uniform: he only adds the infamy of servitude to the crime of murder.”
Percy Bysshe Shelley

SV-Wolf's Bike Blog

POMMIE
Rookie
Rookie

#15 Unread post by POMMIE »

Hello,All,NEW MEMBER!!
I've just been reading your various comments about the Hyosungs.I can only comment on the GT250(NAKED) as that's what I've got.
This is a good little 'bike spoiled.
>The importer in the U.K is rubbish - they don't even have the courtesy to reply to e-mails.
>Dealers are few and far between,and don't really give the back-up customers deserve when they have spent their hard-earned pennies with them.
>Parts, like the service is a nightmare - no-one much lists them (some can be substituted with Suzuki items but it's only because I was a parts store person in a former life that I have been able to cross-reference them.
>I bought this 'bike new back in April 2005,as a commuter and "fun" bike,as I don't have a lot of opportuniy to ride,but can't do without the use of one when the bug bites again.I've been riding all manner of 'bikes(own/borrowed/customers) since I was 16 years old (1966 - work it out!!!)and, having worked in the motor trade for most of that I think I can reasonably say I know a little about cars and bikes.
In the U.K there is little choice when it comes to lightweights,so I decided to get a new Hyosung over a secondhand Honda/Suzuki/Yamaha/
Kawasaki, (the latter being my favourites).
>At delivery I asked if a centrestand was available and to this time am still waiting a reply from the supplying dealer whether he can get one,or not.He need not bother because CBXman in the 'States supplied one within a week of order!!Their service was brilliant.
>Within a couple of months ("running in") it became apparent that the tyres were the cause of the most horrendous speed-wobble at over 50 mph. and a lethal tendency to lose grip on all but the dryest road.A call to the dealer (and coughing up the difference in price) shod it with Bridgestones and cured the problem at a stroke.(The supplier wanted to supply the same "Shinko" ones)
More annoying (and potentially dangerous) was the tendency to seem as though one cylinder cut out on accelerating away from junctions or out of a corner.On return to the Dealer they had it for a day and when collected they could only say they didn't find anything and that it may be my riding style!!!This fault is,agreed, intermittent,but always occurs sometime during a ride.As the 'bike had a full tank when it went in to the dealer,and half a tank when it was collected I am sure they would have experienced it.I found another site similar to this one (Korider) where the same problem was a matter of much discussion.Solutions varied to the extent of removing a wire from a multiplug to re-jetting etc.The customer should not have to fix a problem during warranty,as if anything goes wrong as a result the onus would be on him and gives the importer a good excuse to invalidate it.The problem remains unresolved.
The mirror heads fit is too loose and "adjust" themselves while riding. Nothing done by the dealer as "they all do that" - fixed myself by applying Stud and Bearing lock and tightening them!!!
It would appear that Hyosung use rubber similar to that found on early Japanese offerings as,when inspecting the front brake hose recently it was apparent that it "bulged" when the brake was applied.As the 'bike only carries a one-year warranty,and despite having covered less than 4,000 miles I had to source and fit,as experience told me that this is a point for failure of the U.K roadworthiness test,the first of which is not due 'til next year.(Front and rear were replaced as a precaution.)Brake "feel" and operation much better for doing this.
If buying one of these 'bikes(in the U.K,anway) be sure that you are prepared to do,and are capable of, all maintenance,parts sourcing etc. yourself,and be off-road while waiting for them - they seem only to order as required and hold the barest minimum in stock.If I can help any fellow sufferer out there I would be more than happy to do so.
If only the above were not true,overall the 'bike is a very good little machine for what it is.It is not as cheap as it would appear.O/E parts are as expensive,if not more so than Japanese machines.Aftermarket ones vary,both in price and quality,so beware.It is important to keep it clean and watch out for corrosion,particularly around welds on the frame - a good dollop of ACF50 or similar should keep it at bay,likewise the wheels,which are not lacquered could do with careful attention with your favourite product - they're a swine to clean if you don't!!Take care to use a polish that is not abrasive on the tank and other painted parts,and specially the shiny plastic bits - I have always found Auto-Glym "Extra-Gloss" to work well on both.Only use wadding type polish on the muffler and chromed bits - apply anti corrosion protection to them and around visible welds/rivets,and a quality heatproof paint around it' s bracket(best remove it to do this last bit)The chromework,whilst not the worst is not the best.Textured plastics such as mudguards seem to clean up nicely with Armor-All or like products.In this respect the Comet does resemble the Suzuki GS500,which gained a reputation for much the same things.
I hope the the foregoing text doesn't make me seem like too much of a grouch - I promise I'm not.just very disappointed. that a product is allowed to be sold with no thought for the person who allows a Company to exist - THE CUSTOMER. As I close I am just off to my Kawasaki dealer.
ALL THE BEST TO YOU ALL - RIDE SAFELY -