My first bike, Hyosung GT 250?

Bulwark
Rookie
Rookie

My first bike, Hyosung GT 250?

#1 Unread post by Bulwark »

Hello all,

I just found this forum and I love it. I got a scooter this summer just to spin around through town with my 7 yr old son but it has done nothing but give me the bike itch!

So, Im taking my bike safety course (here in New Brunswick) next week and in the spring will be getting another bike (my wife says she wants to keep my yamaha BW's50 for nice day drives to work,hehe).

I am working on a fixed budget as Ive been out of work due to health reasons and only my wife is currently working.

As I looked at the bikes available I really fell in love with the Hyosung 250GT Comet. Has anyone had any experience with these in North America? They seem to get great reviews in Europe but Im not sure about spending $4900 bucks for a bike brand that Ive never heard of.

Also what do you guys think of the modern 250 size bikes? Im 6'" and 240 lbs so alot of the 250 sized bikes look like toys to me plus I want to be able to have my son spin around with me but the Comet and the Buell Blast both look like good sized bikes.

Oh Canada, riding along the New Brunswick coastline.

Flak Monkey
Veteran
Veteran
Sex: Male

#2 Unread post by Flak Monkey »

The Blast and most 250's might be to small for you. The Ninja 250 will probably fit you though as it's supposedly a lot more roomy than anything else in the category.
Last edited by Flak Monkey on Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GreenFrogJSK
Rookie
Rookie

#3 Unread post by GreenFrogJSK »

Yeah

those hyo's are good. i'm korean and i currently reside in korea right now, so i know a little bit about them.

they have about 28-29 hp, so compared to other 250s, its not that powerful, but the bike is by no means underpowered. it's top speed is about 170kmh. the rear shock is a little unstable according to many experienced riders who push it to the limit in the corners. and the break is not super powerful and the front suspension is a little weak.

other than that, it's a great looking bike and a great bike to start on.
it got great reviews in australia and is quite popular there with its bigger sibling 650r.

i'm saving money right now so that I can get a used one early next year as soon as the winter's over. 05 or 06 gt250r in good shape should be around 2500 - 2800 usd here. i can't freaking wait.

i don't which kind you like, but i would recommend gt250r over gt250s.
holla at me.

bok
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum

#4 Unread post by bok »

i'm 6 foot and 240ish, and the 250 ninja hauls me around just fine...not sure how heavy your boy is, but you could probably ride two up on it for a year or two and then maybe trade up...or who knows your wife might get the itch and inherit the ninja.

other nice looking bikes that are usually priced decent and have that sport look you seem to be looking for include the EX500, GS500. Depending on your comfort and riding ability, there is the SV650 and Ninja650R which are at the upper end of "first bikes"
[url=http://www.toocoolmotorcycleschool.com]Best Motorcycle School[/url]
[url=http://flickr.com/groups/tmw/]Post your Pics[/url]
[url=http://www.californiabikenights.com/learn/]Learn to Ride[/url]

Bulwark
Rookie
Rookie

#5 Unread post by Bulwark »

Thanks for all the great tips guys.

My son only weighs 40 lbs so his weight shouldnt be much of a factor.

I actually prefer the bare bones look of the 250 comet over the 250R but Ill have to decide in the spring. there arent any 250r's in Canada yet but there will be copme spring so Ill be able to compare them then. I admit that the double disk brakes on the front tire sounds good plus it has 8 valves rather than the 4 that the comet has.

Thx again all
Scott :lol:

cclewis
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid

Rode one...

#6 Unread post by cclewis »

About a month ago, I got to ride a hyosung GT250R (faired version, $3,899 USD). I am 5'10" and 230lbs, and didn't have too many concerns about this bike. Cool bike, and fun to ride. 2 small gripes were that I kept trying to shift into 6th gear (it only has 5) and bad front end diving under heavy braking (probably would need to find heavier fork springs). Otherwise, it was quick, light, and manuverable. A couple of "pluses" for this bike would be 17" wheels (instead of 16" on the 250 Ninja) and inverted forks which may not make that much difference, but looked sharp.

This would make a great starter bike, but even though it was a fun bike, I think that if you want a "naked" bike, you might check out a used late model suzuki SV650 (...or even the Hyosung GT650, same bike different engine). There is quite a used selection on cycletrader.com, and you should be able to pick one up for $3 to $4K USD. The only reason I say this is that at the end of my ride on the Hyosung, I already wanted something with a little more power and the ability to carry a passenger.

Hope this helped.
Good Luck!

badfish89
Elite
Elite

#7 Unread post by badfish89 »

You might want to look into a larger engine. It sounds like have something that all of us share. The love to ride. You will find your self outgrowing a 250 cc engine if not in less than a riding season, then by the following one for sure. I would look into 500 cc bikes. There is another thread, between the Suzuki's Bandit 500 and the SV650(s). Those are both very qualified beginer bikes, but also can be driven, and enjoyed by intermediate, and experienced riders. They will be a tad bit sportier, but also function great as touring, and city riding. Personally i like the SV, you can get it half fared, and also buy a chin faring. Looks sporty, but is an awsome bike! my two cents.
[img]http://r2.fodey.com/178a00a236ae9408ea0fec7711f874423.1.gif[/img]
V-TWIN fo lyfe

Bulwark
Rookie
Rookie

#8 Unread post by Bulwark »

Yes, Im leaning towards the 650 GT naked now. I think the 250 would just be a tad too small for me. Plus Id like to be able to take my wife on little jonts too. :P

DivideOverflow
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#9 Unread post by DivideOverflow »

Bulwark wrote:Yes, Im leaning towards the 650 GT naked now. I think the 250 would just be a tad too small for me. Plus Id like to be able to take my wife on little jonts too. :P
I started on a Hyosung 250, really liked the engine as far as 250's go.

If you are looking at the 650's now, I would recommend you look at used SV650's. You can probably find one cheaper than a 650 GT, and they are more refined.. better, gear box, fuel consumption, etc.

It will probably be easier to get parts for suzuki also. That was my biggest complaint about hyosung down here in the states, the service was sparse, and it was hard to get parts.
2008 BMW K1200S
2003 Z1000 - For Sale
1979 KZ650B - Work in progress
2005 Ducati SS 1000DS - sold :'(
1994 VFR750 Interceptor - sold
1984 VF700F Interceptor - sold
2004 Hyosung GV250 - sold

Social Distortion
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
My Motorcycle: 2004 triumph thruxton

#10 Unread post by Social Distortion »

i'd go and did, go used for my 1st MC.

now i am ready for a V Star 650 Classic and i think i should get it for under $5000, plus tax

just wanted to share w/ you what your money can buy.

A buddy of mine bought a really nice used Suzuki 2003 800 cc Volusia for around $3300 in MN....great looking motorcycle and a really nice sized engine.

best of luck
"Born to Lose and Destined to Fail"