Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

FIRST RIDE: Suzuki Intruder M1800R

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

FIRST RIDE: Suzuki Intruder M1800R
August 8, 2006 - By Tim Luckhurst - Motoring South Africa - motoring.co.za

As soon as I saw the Suzuki Intruder a sound entered my head and refused to leave. It was not the sumptuous aural thrill provided by the largest pair of reciprocating pistons yet installed in an internal combustion engine

The Intruder's emphasis is on aesthetic coherence, not visual intimidation
. That came later.

First I imagined American musician Lyle Lovett singing, "No, you're not from Texas, but Texas loves you anyway."

Japanese attempts to imitate the classic cruiser style have produced some truly awful-looking motorcycles. I was expecting kitsch; instead I saw tasteful coherence.

Subtle, flowing lines extend from the front mudguard to the vast 240-section tubeless rear tyre.

The Intruder's emphasis is on aesthetic coherence, not visual intimidation. The design emphasises the big V-twin engine without fetishising it. The broad, elongated fuel tank merges seamlessly into a low, comfortable saddle and an attractive moulded tail cover.

The sinuous two-into-two chromed exhaust system booms beautifully and ends in a pair of eye-catching, slash-cut mufflers
Japanese attempts to imitate the classic cruiser style have produced some truly awful-looking motorcycles

This machine looks at home in the broad cowboy country of the American south but Suzuki's technology has been honed on racetracks. This cruiser has the front brakes of a GSXR 1000 and a version of Suzuki's race-developed fuel-injection system. Performance reflects the debt.

Until recently cruiser design was all about looks. Bikemakers assumed that riders who aspired to emulate "Easy Rider" would not mind if their mounts wallowed round corners and rattled like belt-fed machine guns.

Some still prefer that approach but Suzuki wanted a cruiser with the adrenalin kick and handling of a sportier motorcycle. It got it. Bulleting into a sharp right-hander at more than 160km/h, I had to lose 60km/h fast. The Intruder didn't even wobble...

Designed for distance

The deep pulse of its 94dW engine is spine-tingling at low revs and builds to a thunderous cascade under rapid acceleration. The Intruder produces 160Nm of torque at 3250rpm and that gives instant throttle response throughout the rev range.

The low-maintenance shaft-drive system emphasises that this motorcycle is designed for distance. The 19-litre fuel tank confirms that impression. So do the handlebar-mounted digital tachometer and LED warning lights. I was comfortable over 100km of quick riding on tight lanes. Those front brakes are superb.

This bike is good enough to compete with all-comers, handles better than most and looks delightful but that will not guarantee success. There was hostility among some Harley-Davidson owners to their company's development of the excellent, Porsche-engined VRSC V-Rod family.

American customers have also been slightly less enthusiastic than I anticipated about Triumph's performance cruiser, the gorgeous 2.3-litre Rocket III.

Tradition continued

This Suzuki harks back to 1950's streetcar racers, to an era of daredevil fun and excitement. As such, it offers all the charisma a true enthusiast might want in a package augmented by race-proven technology.

Riders looking to combine the cruiser image with cutting-edge technology should also consider the Triumph Rocket and Harley-Davidson Street Rod.

Suzuki has a reputation for delivering a lot at reasonable prices. The Intruder continues that tradition.

As Lovett nearly sang, it is not from Texas, but it certainly looks like it could be. - The Independent, London

Specifications
Engine: 1783cc, four-stroke, liquid-cooled 54-degree V-twin.
Maximum power/torque: 94kW at 6200rpm, 160Nm at 3200rpm.
Transmission: Five-speed, shaft final drive.
Brakes: Front radial mount, opposed four-piston callipers, rear single 275mm disc.
Weight: 315kg.
Seat height: 700mm.
Tank capacity: 19 litres.
Price: £8999 (about R117 000).
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.