Ducati 999R Review - Hilarious!

DivideOverflow
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Sex: Male

#11 Unread post by DivideOverflow »

All my roommates and I found the post very funny, and informative on what to expect from that bike. The way the review is written expresses the thoughts and concerns that the rider had, and that easily translates to items that one should pay attention to. I enjoy a bit of creative writing every now and then, and this review gave me insight to how the reviewer felt about the bike...not just what the bike is capable of doing.

QuietMonkey
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#12 Unread post by QuietMonkey »

High_Side wrote:Maybe I was too hard on Mr. Road tester. I'll admit to skimming when I reached Sunset Boulevard...
jeesh highside, "maybe" you were too hard on Mr. Road tester??

um, if you didn't read the article and take time to understand his use of language, how much value can your comments have? The bike is not simply more than most people can handle on the road, it is way more than most people can handle on the race track.
High_Side wrote:I don't train with Troy Bayliss, and I never even have to constantly let it out that "raced one season on an R-6!" (oooooooo:lol: )like other people.
Could you point out the part of my posting where I mention my last race season on the R6? If you can, please do.

oh, i see...I didn't mention it, nor did I mention any of my previous roadracing history in there either, even though it has value, influence and pertinence to my perspective on the review. It seems you have a little something stuck in your head man, and some jadedness that constantly needs to be let out (LOL). funny, eh... oh the irony is wonderful. If you're going to put both feet in your mouth, it's best to remember some peanut butter on the toes to make it more palatable ;-)

So you feel the guy isn't telling us what it's really like, eh. well sure, i can understand that, but man, if you would've read the article without prejudging it, it'd help you see that the 999 Corse is in many ways JUST LIKE what the guy is writing.

All you need to do is read the spec sheet to know the thing is FAASST, then remind yourself of a few roadraces over the past 10 years to get a real feel for what it is really like with the right person aboard... if you ride like Bayliss, Corser, Bostrom, Hogdson, etc... but since it's unlikely any of us around here do, how can you expect anything other than what that guy seems to have honestly written? If he could write the review you seem to want, he wouldn't be writing it, instead he'd be signing a racing contract with Ducati Corse :mrgreen:

Take a minute to appreciate the guys perspective from personal experience with the bike. He mentions honking it out and riding some twisties, like Angel's Crest Highway - an infamous road:
http://www.pashnit.com/roads/cal/AngelsCrest.htm

California has many great roads, great riding weather, and thus opportunity for many capable riders to develop. That review is pretty real to me and the other guys responding to this posting. His comments are about all you can expect from a decent rider on city streets. He sounds more honest than most riders are about there riding skills.

That review was really well written, and the rest of us seem to catch what your missing. A cool review of a rare and beautiful bike.

Keep digging up those great review Gatineau_Guy! :clap: :thumbsup:
"Zounds! Zorched by Zarches, Spaceman Spiff's crippled craft crashes on planet Plootarg!"

For Sale: Ninja 600 with parts bike, needs minor work, $30, no title... (GEE THAT DOESNT RING ANY WARNING BELLS DOES IT?)

Gatineau_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

#13 Unread post by Gatineau_Guy »

Hey QuietMonkey,

Glad ya liked the review. I will post more if I find more. :newsflash: I am trying to locate the Hunter S. Thompson review that was lost in the hack attack. There was also a great review of the 2005 Triumph Speedmaster in Cycle Canada this month. I am trying the find the text to that somewhere. I'm too lazy to retype the whole thing.
QuietMonkey wrote:That review was really well written, and the rest of us seem to catch what your missing.
I don't think High_Side is missing anything. He doesn't like the style of writing. Simple as that. No point in arguing over something as subjective as preferences for writing style. That's like :frusty: . Lord knows that when I write my review of my monster there will be a lot of people shocked with the poor grammar and spelling mistakes :laughing: !

Cheers,
Gatineau_Guy

poppygene
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#14 Unread post by poppygene »

I thought the article was hilarious, enjoyed the heck out of it. :lol:
Let me get this straight... it's one down and four up, right?

[img]http://img93.exs.cx/img93/7837/aread0hm.gif[/img]

High_Side
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#15 Unread post by High_Side »

Really yes, I will admit that I was missing something. For me, to have a regular hack like me review a bike like that serves it no justice. My point was, and it seems to get lost as well, is that Mr. Reviewer was very likely going to have alot of the same comments about alot of street legal superbikes out there. It doesn't matter that 98% of us can't use what it's got, or alot of other bikes have, for me to read about how over the top it is seems really pointless.....I kinda expected that.
O.K., so my personal point of view was that the review was crap, and it's not a popular one. Get over it, I get the point. And I don't really care..... :twisted:
Hunter S. Thopmpson was well respected for what he did with the Hells Angels and it was a style of writing that this guys seems to really aspire to. For me, especially the old 900SS review that he did, it seemed pointless. Like I said, different strokes for different folks.....get over it :mrgreen:

QuietMonkey
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#16 Unread post by QuietMonkey »

Highside, I understand what you want, but in my mind the thing is, we can't ever get that review... because in the overall scheme of things most current sport bikes are well above what we can truly comprehend... they are all so awesome that in some respects they all ride the same, because we are unskilled in appreciating the true differences... all we see is the higher purchase price, higher maintenence bills, and cosmetics. The real subtleties that make a 999R better than a CBR600RR are LOST on us... the same goes for most truly rare, refined and amazing things.

How to explain... hmmmm.... Let's try "women" as an example... some people appreciate women only for there looks... we might call them "#1. Average Rider Guy".

Then some guys appreciate a woman for her looks + sportscar + domestic responsibilities [like fuel mileage and reliability / cooking skills + regular employment] (giggle - please ladies, no slings & arrows yet)... we may call them "#2. Advanced Domestic Rider Guy" :D

And we move ALL THE WAY up the ladder... (big climb, like everest) to a guy who appreciates a woman as a person with uniqueness + flaws + compatibility + wacky personality + temperment + unknowns + ability to toss him on his "O Ring" (a girl can be like a wheelie, eh! or a thoroughbred -- she demands respect!), etc, etc, etc... that's #46. Rossi Guy :mrgreen:

Anyway... so we have 46 women in a room, and Guy #1 sees all of them the same, he doesn't spend time getting to know them, he thinks they are all "pretty fast women" (snicker), they are "Chicks" (sort of like Crotch Rockets in more ways than one) arooooooo... #2 guy sees 15 of the girls as pretty darn compatible with his way of thinking... he's a happy camper too etc. etc. etc.. but #46 guy sees only 3 women in the room who he really thinks are worth spending time with, otherwise he'd rather just walk, instead of taking a few laps. #46 guy sees these women are all very different.. unique and well worth getting to know... he has to see which one is long term...

#27 woman is CRF450 motocrosser with factory race suspension, saaaweet for offroad adventure, she's the Mercedes of Motocross (if you are familar with Ms. Mercedes, or maybe Katja Poensgen roadrace girl)

then #32 woman (sorry about the #s girls - we'll call her Lorissa), she's a Dual Sport girl... KLR650 or maybe BMW R series... perhaps not perfect in any one single aspect of self, but she seems to have it together... just the sort of jeans and t-shirt girl you can take anywhere... aaahhh, the girl next door. And she has a cam and pipe kit [likes dogs and cats - thinks horses and animals are really wonderful], plus super motard wheel accessory package [um, she's creative, and sexy, but you gotta work for it, and treat her right], and DOT knobbies [likes camping!] (boy would I ever like to meet her!!)... oops... anyway... she'll take a few years to really get to know... then you think about marriage :D

then say #46 man sees #46 girl and wawawa (like Chachi used to say) he's totally head over heals in love with Ms. 46 --- Supermodel, Physics Major, Business owner, mother of 3, yada yada yada... takes a very refined gentleman a long time to appreciate this woman.

This is why i appreciate this style of review, it paints a picture which sez more to me about the true nature of the bike than all spec sheets ever could, and I know by the time Rossi writes his review of a M1 Yamaha, he's already married to her! ahhh too late! That guys review leaves me hungry for more! :laughing: Hungry for a traveling girl who wants to do a few twists and turns down Angeles Crest Highway. Someone who is #32. Perfect for me! Leave the dream girls to Rossi.

One can only wonder what Italian Girl 999 is really like! wowzers... we'll just never know... but it's great to dream eh. She'd probably put her heel through my forehead.

anyway... where's #32 girl for me to get to know! I can appreciate her a little at a time, on some off-road adventures, and twisting blacktop, at semi-legal speeds... but #46 will be a lot more than this guy can handle (snicker).

:mrgreen:
"Zounds! Zorched by Zarches, Spaceman Spiff's crippled craft crashes on planet Plootarg!"

For Sale: Ninja 600 with parts bike, needs minor work, $30, no title... (GEE THAT DOESNT RING ANY WARNING BELLS DOES IT?)

Gadjet
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 19
My Motorcycle: 2020 KTM 200 Duke

#17 Unread post by Gadjet »

QuietMonkey wrote:she's a Dual Sport girl... KLR650 or maybe BMW R series
Don't know as I would class the BMW 'R' series of bikes as Dual Sport bikes. My dad's R1150RS certainly isn't - it's a sport touring bike.

The R1150RT, 11xxLT, 11xxCL are also not Dual Sport.

The only modern BMW dual sports are as follows:

F650GS
F650GS Dakar
R1150GS Adventure
R1200GS

There was also an R80GS and an R80GS PD (Paris Dakar) back in the 80's/early 90's
1983 Suzuki GS650GL (sold)
2005 Kawasaki KLR 650 (sold)
2020 KTM 200 Duke
IBA#20953
IG: @greenmanwc