Ridley Motorcycles

RTR
Legendary
Legendary
Sex: Male

Ridley Motorcycles

#1 Unread post by RTR »

Having watched Corbins Ride On a few months back, where they featured Ridley Motorcycles. http://www.ridleymotorcycle.com/ Tammy has been interested in them since. Ridley's are America's first and only fully Automatic Motorcycles.

Ridley's are not for sale in Canada, as of yet. Transport Canada is holding them back. All to do with LED turn signal lights. Not to sure why that makes a difference. Apparently it does.

Anyhow on Monday we drove down to Lansing Michigan. The closet Ridley dealership to us. Also Tammy has relatives in Sarnia. Gave us a reason to visit. Anyhow, back to Ridley. We drive to Captial Ridley, name of the dealership. Pulling into the parking lot, we think this can't be it. It turns out it is a "Rent-All" place. Just also they have become a Ridley dealership.

I was offered the opportunity to take one for a test ride. However I did not have any of my gear. The salesman, loaned me a "beanie", which I don't even think was DOT. Anyhow I was only riding around a couple of blocks. So, I thought I would be ok. I was plesently surprised by how much I actually enjoyed riding this bike. It was very capable in the short ride I was on.

Biggest surprise I had, was the sound. Even many Harley's would be bowing to the rumble from this throaty sounding bike. This particular bike had straight pipes, no baffles.

Heading down the road with the biggest grin on my face.

Obviously, I am a little big for this little 750.

The biggest thing to get use to was no lever on the left bar.

Personally if I where going to buy one for myself, I would be going "Old School"

Tammy checking out maybe her next bike purchase!!!
www.redfridays.ca

Z (fka Sweet Tooth)
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#2 Unread post by Z (fka Sweet Tooth) »

I've seen them in person before and they do sound pretty good! Ridley also does good job of chroming them up and they have some really nice paint jobs, but the price tag made me hyperventilate.

The main deterrent is that they dont make them any bigger than a 750 so if she ever wants more power she would have to transition to something with a clutch anyways! The other thing is that if you ever wanted to change anything on the bike, you have to go through Ridely, no after market parts for them!

However, if that's what it takes to get her out there then go for it!
2006 VTX 1300 R

Life looks alot better through a set of handlebars!!

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#3 Unread post by jstark47 »

I wonder, is that 750 their own engine design, or do they source that from somewhere?
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

Z (fka Sweet Tooth)
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#4 Unread post by Z (fka Sweet Tooth) »

I'm almost positive that it's thier own design, they do mfg ONE bike with a clutch and it's a Harley engine.
2006 VTX 1300 R

Life looks alot better through a set of handlebars!!

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2009 Buell 1125 CR

#5 Unread post by BRUMBEAR »

I read in a mag awhile back wish I could remember but it is either an older virago engine bought off yamaha or a knockoff thereof
But they look pretty cool
there aint nothin like it