Sabre Vs Spirit Vs VTX

celt
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male

Sabre Vs Spirit Vs VTX

#1 Unread post by celt »

Hey all.

Thinking about trading up my 750 ACE. I've had it for 2 years, and I really like it, but we've recently moved to a suburb where I need to ride the highway to work every day.

I COULD get a bigger sprocket for my ACE, but after talking briefly with my wife, she's confessed that the reason she's neglected to go riding with me is the fact that she'd be more comfortable on a more powerful bike...

So that leads me to think about a Sabre, which I love because it looks pretty much the same as my ACE.

BUT, I've read that while they're very quick off the line because of the gearing, once you get to highway speeds the gearing hinders the bike's highway driving.

I thought I read that the spirit was geared differently, so is it better at highway speeds?

And just to make it more interesting, is the VTX1300 a LOT better at highway speeds?

Highway speeds for me = 70-80 MPH

Side note: We'd probably only ride 2-up once a week for an hour or maybe two...IF that.

edit: I have picked the shadows for size, displacement & price. I can't imagine the v-star valve adjustments & oil changes which I've read about here.

canuckerjay
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Sex: Male

#2 Unread post by canuckerjay »

Just my take on the V*1100:

The valve adjustment is really no big deal once you do it yourself. They're roughly every 6000kms; for me, that's once a season.

Up till and including 2005, changing the oil filter required removal of the exhaust pipes. The oil changes are no big deal once you buy an oil filter relocation kit. If you're looking new, this problem has been solved as of the 2006 model year.

As for your speed on the highway:
80miles an hour = around 130kms/hr. (I'm Canadian -- don't know much aboot miles; eh?)

I regularily ride anywhere from 115-140km/hr. At 110 the V* hums. At 120 it's singing, and at 130 it's screaming. I'm told that though it sounds hurtful, it's not, and it has a rev limiter so you don't blow the engine.

I like the bike, I'll probably go bigger on my next ride, though.
Wherever you may roam
May you own your road.

MotoF150
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#3 Unread post by MotoF150 »

Test ride both the VTX1300 and the VTX1800, you will find the 1800 has tons more power and speed with a lighter feel than the 1300, spend the $800 more for the VTX1800, its 10 times the bike.
2011 Toyota Tacoma 4x4, 09 Yamaha Tmax, 08 Suzuki King Quad 750