Gummiente
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

2007 Harley Davidson FLTR Road Glide

#1 Unread post by Gummiente »

I picked up my new Road Glide yesterday and have put just over 200km on it so far; which is not bad considering I rode 100km in the rain yesterday and another 100km in rain AND snow today. I've never had a bike with cruise control and a stereo before, but after motoring down the highway with the speed set at 90kmh and Econoline Crush belting out "Sparkle And Shine" on the CD player, well, I have been introduced to a whole new level of riding pleasure. And I loved it! Here's my impressions so far...

Performance: Coming off an '06 Dyna Super Glide, the first thing I noticed was the lack of vibration at speed. This bike feels just like my old '04 FLHT Electra-Glide, but more comfy. It shakes noticeably at idle, as is normal with all rubber-mount Harleys, but as soon as it's put into gear and the clutch is let out she is smooth as glass. Lots of power from the new 96ci mill and the gear ratios in the new 6-speed transmission are better spaced than on the Dyna, making for smooth riding and effortless shifts. 6th gear is pretty much only good for speeds above 110kmh, though, as the motor is lugging if ridden any slower than that. Acceleration is more than adequate for my needs and I doubt I'll ever need to play with cams or any other performance parts - Harley has finally made an EPA legal motor that isn't strangled out of the box. The mufflers sound great, too - no need at all to change them for louder ones, IMO.

Handling: The handling was a real surprise; it was very windy yesterday and today but the bike tracked nice and straight and the handlebars felt light as a feather - the frame mounted fairing is everything that other RG owners told me it would be. I don't know why - probably because there is no wind pressing against the forks - but despite all the extra weight and large front tire this bike is way easier to heel over into a turn than both my Dyna and Electra-Glide ever were. The twin front and single rear discs do a suprsisingly good job of hauling the bike down from speed; I haven't had a chance to try a panic stop yet but I'm pretty sure the bike is more than capable of a quick, safe stop. The new reduced effort clutch lever is a bonus to arthritic old farts like me and the engagement is smooth and predictable.

Misc: I was a little disappointed at the small, odd shaped fairing storage pockets; after seeing the lids in the pics on the Harley site I figured there'd be loads of room, but no. I can fit my sunglasses in one pocket and my camera in the other, though, so there's no need for a tank or windshield mounted storage pouch. I think a taller windshield will be the first accessory, as I find it to be about 2" too low for my tastes (I'm 5'10") and there's a bit of buffeting around the helmet at eye level. The seat is very comfy and I don't see a need to change it to a solo just yet (the wife has her own bike), but the passenger floorboards were removed as soon as I got home. They really interfered with my legs at stoplights and when backing out of parking spots. I like the stereo, it's the first time I've ever had one on a bike. I find it easy to use, although it's a bit of a reach to the on/off button while riding. I tried the cruise control for a couple km's (keeping in mind I'm in the break-in phase for the next 700km) and couldn't help but giggle at the novelty of it all. So much better than having to fumble with that little star wheel under the throttle grip. However, the on/off switch is on the right side of the dash which makes for a bit of an awkward reach with the left hand when trying to turn it on while riding. Mine came with the accessory plug under the seat and it fit my electric vest hookup perfectly. I was surprised to find a tool roll in the saddlebag, with chrome tools no less, but I decided not to keep it on the bike. If this RG is as reliable as my FLHT was I'll never have to use it anyway.

I think I've finally found my dream Harley. 8)
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

ZooTech
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
Years Riding: 18
My Motorcycle: Nomad / Ninja 500 / VLX Bobber / C3 / VS

#2 Unread post by ZooTech »

Congrats, Man, and happy bike day! I didn't even know you were in the market. The Road Glide would be my pick, too. I like the old-skool look of the fairing.

t_bonee
Site Supporter - Bronze
Site Supporter - Bronze

#3 Unread post by t_bonee »

Congrats! Sounds like you found a winner. And the color is nice too.
A dog had his chain reduced one link at a time, every few days, until his chain was so short he could barely move. He never resisted because he was conditioned to the loss of his freedom slowly, over time. Are we in this country becoming like the dog?

Canuckskie

Congrats

#4 Unread post by Canuckskie »

Congrats on your new baby, it is a beaut..
May you enjoy many happy miles bud,
Take care & Ride Safe
Augie

PALancia
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid

#5 Unread post by PALancia »

Good luck with the new ride. What is your opinion of the fixed headlight?

Gummiente

#6 Unread post by Gummiente »

PALancia wrote:Good luck with the new ride. What is your opinion of the fixed headlight?
So far, so good with the bike... I put 2,180km on before having to tuck it away for winter storage two weeks ago. There's been an issue with the seat rubbing the edges of the saddlebag lids that apparently will not be covered under warranty, so I'll be going through the formal complaint process soon.

As for the fixed headlights, the only time they were a little freaky is when I was pulling into the garage from the alleyway at night - with my other bikes the handlebars moved enough to illuminate the interior but not so with the Road Glide. But all I had to do was change the angle of approach and hit the high beams and I could see no problem. Otherwise on the road there were no difficulties getting used to the headlights. In fact, coverage is greater than on bikes with one headlight because both lights are on at all times. Low beam does a great job at lighting up both sides of the road and well ahead while the high beams are like two spotlights - bright as hell!
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

jackM50black
Elite
Elite

#7 Unread post by jackM50black »

thanks for the well written review. I got a really good sense of the bike from what you wrote. I went and looked at a 2007 Road King (basic model) and I liked it, though its very different from my current 805cc Suzy. I'm gonna keep thinking about the Road King as one example of a touring bike.

Fat Boy
Veteran
Veteran

#8 Unread post by Fat Boy »

Excellent Bike and nice color, way to go and enjoy your new toy for many, many years!!!

Dennis316
Rookie
Rookie

#9 Unread post by Dennis316 »

as per harleys reliability, 95% of harleys are still on the road....only 5% made it home :mrgreen:

Gummiente

#10 Unread post by Gummiente »

Dennis316 wrote:as per harleys reliability, 95% of harleys are still on the road....only 5% made it home :mrgreen:
Yes, how hilarious. Well done. Do you have any Harley jokes that aren't older than me?
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride