2007 Sportster vs. Bonneville vs. other Standards

scan
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: 2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

#21 Unread post by scan »

schwartzkm wrote:I don't think the Vegas has a Standard riding postion therefore would not be considered in this post.
Yeah, this is correct. The original post was about standards, and Victory only make cruisers. I by the way love standards, but would consider none of the previous mentioned bikes. I would only consider Harley if you showed me a XR1200 - but we won't see these stateside.
* 2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R *
"What good fortune for those of us in power that people do not think. " Hitler - think about that one for a minute.

ravnhaus
Rookie
Rookie

#22 Unread post by ravnhaus »

I don't know about the Sportster, as I have never ridden one. I do like the look though.
I have been riding an '06 Bonnie T-100 for about ten month now after a twenty-five year hiatus from motorcycles.
I ride the city of Austin and the surrounding Hill Country when I can.
The upright position works very well for me. My 53 year old back does not complain and the view in traffic is good. The seat is good for me and it makes a nice platform to carry stuff using a cargo net. I commute, no touring as of now.
The bike has plenty of power and will keep up with any vehicle I have yet to encounter, although I don't really run with the Biker Boyz. It will hit the ton with more in reserve, but I am usually not in that much of a hurry. The thrill to me is to simply be riding, yet knowing with a flick of the wrist I am out of there!
It is very nimble in city traffic and turns on a dime. It backs in and out of weird places much easier than my buddy's Shovelhead.
It cuts the curving hill country roads with ease and comfort. It is a pure pleasure winding through the limestone and cedar breaks southwest of Austin.
On the down side people are drawn to it like moths to light.
You pull in for gas and someone asks, "What year is it? I used to have a 69! Didn't know they still made them!, Do they still leak oil?".
Your sitting at a light minding your own business and people stare at it. Not all people mind you, but the ones who... know.
And the women... well...

The weak point is the suspension. It is not too bad. I have yet to do anything about it, but it can be improved with a little upgrade. The front forks are a little spongy on braking. The rear can also be improved.
Some folks complain that the pipes are not loud enough. It sounds like a 'sewing machine". This too can be changed... if you are so inclined. I kinda dig the lack of bark, although this opinion could change in the future. One blockage is the $500 upgrade fee!
There are other mod to do... if you wish. Change out the air intake with a less restrictive one and less restrictive pipes will give you some improved HP. Be sure to re-jet the carbs!
Multiple accessories are available from various third market dealers. Plenty of chrome... if you are so inclined. T-shirts, jackets, and a retro-journey to the land of Mods & Rockers.

I have keep mine mostly stock.
I love the ride and have never regretted my impulsive decision.

I mean... really... how could you argue this with this bike!

'06 Bonneville T-100

High_Side
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 48
My Motorcycle: Desert-X, CB1100F, CRF300 Rally, Nightha

#23 Unread post by High_Side »

ravnhaus wrote:I don't know about the Sportster, as I have never ridden one. I do like the look though.
I have been riding an '06 Bonnie T-100 for about ten month now after a twenty-five year hiatus from motorcycles.
Now thats a nice bike and a great review. Thanks.

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#24 Unread post by jstark47 »

ravnhaus wrote:The weak point is the suspension. It is not too bad. I have yet to do anything about it, but it can be improved with a little upgrade. The front forks are a little spongy on braking. The rear can also be improved.
IMO the weakest link is the brakes. The stock brake pads are crap. A Triumph dealer local to me has also sourced a floating rotor that fits the Bonneville.... I'll be looking into this in 2007.
ravnhaus wrote:Some folks complain that the pipes are not loud enough. It sounds like a 'sewing machine". This too can be changed... if you are so inclined. I kinda dig the lack of bark, although this opinion could change in the future. One blockage is the $500 upgrade fee!
I have Triumph's own aftermarket pipes, the TORs (Triumph Off Road pipes). They definitely give the bike's sound more character without really being loud. The freer pipes, combined with bigger jets, gave my bike a small but noticeable power boost. These engines also take a long time (3000 miles) to bed in- once they do, they rev more freely at the high end. Last summer I was dusting off Harleys at red lights - great juvenile, immature fun!!!! :twisted:
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

DivideOverflow
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#25 Unread post by DivideOverflow »

celt wrote:well, i picked up an '07 HD XL1200R the wed. before thanksgiving.
Well, how do you like it!? Pictures?
2008 BMW K1200S
2003 Z1000 - For Sale
1979 KZ650B - Work in progress
2005 Ducati SS 1000DS - sold :'(
1994 VFR750 Interceptor - sold
1984 VF700F Interceptor - sold
2004 Hyosung GV250 - sold

celt
Elite
Elite

#26 Unread post by celt »

well, cooincidentally, today is the first time i've ridden it in a few weeks.

i live near syracuse, NY.

usually we have a few feet of snow by now, but this year's been different. the problem is the SALT. even though there hasn't been a lot of snow, they have been using a ton of rock salt to keep the roads less icy.

so i've been worried about not having a way to wash the salt off the bike...i really don't want this thing to have rust on it before i get a chance to break the motor in... :|

but the few hundred miles i've put on it, i really like it a lot.

it's a LOT quicker than my 750 ACE.

plus the smaller front forks and tire make for easier turning (IMHO)

if the weather stays warm and they refrain from salting the crap out of the roads, hopefully i'll be able to give you a better review soon :)

DivideOverflow
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#27 Unread post by DivideOverflow »

I keep forgetting it is "winter". It was 82 degrees here today! 82!!! This is an extraordinarily warm winter, even for Florida. I don't like it.
2008 BMW K1200S
2003 Z1000 - For Sale
1979 KZ650B - Work in progress
2005 Ducati SS 1000DS - sold :'(
1994 VFR750 Interceptor - sold
1984 VF700F Interceptor - sold
2004 Hyosung GV250 - sold

goodride
Rookie
Rookie

#28 Unread post by goodride »

I think I'm going to pull the trigger on a Sportster R myself. Its almost riding time again!!! Any updates on your new bike? Pics anywhere?

celt
Elite
Elite

#29 Unread post by celt »

Update:

The battery tender is still showing that it's charged up & ready to go - Once it stops snowing!
:laughing:

Actually, I haven't taken any pictures of it...I'm sure I will once I get it out of the garage in a month (crosses fingers)

Dennis316
Rookie
Rookie

#30 Unread post by Dennis316 »

the bonneville is super slow compared to a competing engine sized cruiser or standard, it does look good i will give it that, but the inline 2 cylinder triumphs havent been known for their reliability either...

i like the 883 sportster, but the new 1200 nightster is pretty sick imho, and im not even a fan of harley davidson!

oh...another thing, go get a kawasaki 1600 mean streak...that is all