'02 Yami V-Star 1100 Classic

MotoF150
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#11 Unread post by MotoF150 »

on the homepage, see the little yellow sales add on the right? click on that, those are the 06 clearance bikes for sale!
2011 Toyota Tacoma 4x4, 09 Yamaha Tmax, 08 Suzuki King Quad 750

jazzbiker
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

1100 HP, torque

#12 Unread post by jazzbiker »

Anyone have HP and Torque numbers on an v-star 1100 with pipes?
Dave

"I have no room in my life for a souless motorcycle"

2003 Victory Vegas
2002 Royal Enfield Bullet
2005 Suzuki V-Strom 650 (for sale)

canuckerjay
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#13 Unread post by canuckerjay »

I've got the 05 Custom 1100. A nice ride -- glad to hear it's already got a mustang seat, because it'd be the first thing you're replacing.

First thing you must note is that when the bike comes stock, you've got to take off the pipes to change the oil filter. Sux. But - your guy has slapped on 4k worth of aftermarket stuff, so I'd assume that the second thing he did (seat first) was put in an oil filter relocation kit, that makes it possible to do an oil change without taking off the pipes. If not, the kit is made by a few companies, and is around 200CAD.

Secondly, dude is right when he says you'll constantly be looking for a 6th gear on the highways. At 100km/hr, she hums nicely. At 120, singing a bit. At 140, screaming. But - the bike has a rev limiter, if you're worried about overdoing it. And I've known many people who have pushed thier stars much harder than I do and have had no worries. Apparantly, this engine is basically the old Virago engine, and has developed a reputation for being pretty much bullet proof. As far as power issues go, yeah, I'd like a 6th gear, but it's not enough to make me dump the bike and buy another.

In terms of power, if you consult others and read a ton on the 1100, you'll find some consistent numbers among those who have dyno'd it:

Stock: 51-53 hp.
Add pipes, a jet kit and a pod intake kit under the tank: 60-62hp.
Then add an ignition kit & mid cams: 70-72hp.

Depends on how much you want to do.

In terms of ride, it looks heavy, but as soon as you take off, it feels really light, and is easy to control at moderate to high speeds. At low speeds, I find it handles a bit wobbly. Still; not enough to make me sell it.

Hope this helps. Pick the bike that's right for you and not for someone else.

Merry Christmas or whatever you do.
Wherever you may roam
May you own your road.

willw
Regular
Regular

#14 Unread post by willw »

Okay, I know as a newbie (will take the course this spring) I should be looking at smaller bikes, but a local dealer has me really considering this bike. He's got a leftover that he offered to me for $7500. Feels so right when I sit on it that I have trouble finding fault with me handling it when I get my license. Obviously, I cannot test ride it right now.

I've heard many times that the V1100 feels like a light bike while riding. So, does that mean that she's still a "don't do it" for a first bike?

BTW: I've just started considering the new Vulcan 900 Custom. I don't want to outgrow my bike too soon. Eventually ending up with a Mean Streak as soon as I get enough experience (I'm infatuated with that bike).
www.sportshak.com

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#15 Unread post by Johnj »

Why don't you find a $1500 to $2000 used small bike to learn on, then buy the Mean Streak.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.