'02 Yami V-Star 1100 Classic

WyoRider
Regular
Regular
Sex: Male

'02 Yami V-Star 1100 Classic

#1 Unread post by WyoRider »

This summer I bought a Honda Shadow Aero. It was big enough starting out as far as engine size goes but now I want something that will buck the wind a little better, besides my wife has claimed it as her own so I started looking for a bike for myself.
First off, I am not partial to Honda. I have owned Yamaha dirt bikes but not street bikes. I had been looking at the Honda Sabre 1100 and VTX-1300 and then along came this used 2002 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Classic. It only has 8800 miles on it. The bike is immaculate with not a single scratch and garage kept on carpet and has close to $4000 in accessories, that includes new pipes and a Mustang seat. Also has 150 miles on new Metzler tires.
I can pick it up for $6500. I am paying cash and not financing so it is a little more than what a bank will loan but considering the accessories it has on it, it is worth a little more than book value to me. I have never run across a nicer used bike.
Something I didn't notice until researching a few things on-line was it has an air cooled engine. Is Yamaha the only one using an air cooled V-twin?If so,why? I realize it is heavier going liquid cooled but the bike is already heavy,so a little extra weight isn't going to matter.
My question is, while cruising in town at speeds of 30-45 mph and temps 90-100 degrees, is this bike going to get extremely hot? I know with an air cooled engine heat is a horsepower killer. Do I have anything to worry about? What are your opinions on this bike and price?
It is a beautiful bike and hope to have it in my garage by Christmas.
Thanks
Last edited by WyoRider on Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
'07 Honda Shadow Aero
Soon to own,'02 Yamaha V-Star 1100 Classic

Member:
Patriot Guard Rider
Marne Riders Motorcycle Club
Society of the 3RD ID
Cold War Veterans Association
NRA
YSC
HRCA

ZooTech
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
Years Riding: 18
My Motorcycle: Nomad / Ninja 500 / VLX Bobber / C3 / VS

#2 Unread post by ZooTech »

The engine will be fine. Most Harleys and Yamaha's are air-cooled and it's not a real problem.

IBJanky
Regular
Regular

#3 Unread post by IBJanky »

It'll be fine. Let us know if you do end up buying it 8)

MotoF150
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#4 Unread post by MotoF150 »

$6500 is too much for an 02 V Star 1100 when you can buy a new one for $6995 and any air cooled engine will have a lot of internal engine wear if synthethic oil was never used. Buy a new bike and customize it the way you like it, it will mean more to you.
2011 Toyota Tacoma 4x4, 09 Yamaha Tmax, 08 Suzuki King Quad 750

ZooTech
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
Years Riding: 18
My Motorcycle: Nomad / Ninja 500 / VLX Bobber / C3 / VS

#5 Unread post by ZooTech »

How appropriate.

schwartzkm
Rookie
Rookie

#6 Unread post by schwartzkm »

I have known three riders that purchased and sold the 1100 line becuase it is geared too low for freeway speeds. If you don't do a lot of freeway riding, the 1100 makes a fine motorcycle. If you do a lot of freeway riding, you will always feel you need one more gear while on the highway.

my 2 cents.

WyoRider
Regular
Regular

#7 Unread post by WyoRider »

MotoF150 wrote:$6500 is too much for an 02 V Star 1100 when you can buy a new one for $6995 and any air cooled engine will have a lot of internal engine wear if synthethic oil was never used. Buy a new bike and customize it the way you like it, it will mean more to you.

My dealer is selling the new V-Star 1100 close to MSRP and if you look Yamaha lists them at $8899 for the Classic. If I lived in your area and could get one for what you mention I would buy it. Are you sure that price you talk about is not for a 650?
If you recall I mentioned the bike I'm buying has four grand...that's $4000 in accessories already on it including straight pipes and mustang seat and new Metzler tires. He want's a little more than what it books for because of the accessories he has put on it and I am willing to give it to him.
It is pretty much set up as I would set it up, that is why it caught my eye. I will change a few more things on it when I get it a far as chrome goodies and I will probably take the windshield off. It has enough on it that I can take some off to personalize it how I want.
Value on this bike in my area is $5500 so with the low miles and accessories, it is worth it to me and I know who and what kind of person the bike belongs too. :wink:
'07 Honda Shadow Aero

Member:
Patriot Guard Rider
Society of the 3RD ID
NRA
YSC
HRCA

MotoF150
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#8 Unread post by MotoF150 »

yes, the dealer in my area was selling the new 06 Yamaha V Star 1100 Custom for $6995, and the Classic was $200 more. The new 06 V Star 650 Custom was selling for $4795, he adds and additional $195 for shipping and prep charge, not sure if he had any more left, check his web site and click on this advertizement page on the right, wwwtrackntrail.net
2011 Toyota Tacoma 4x4, 09 Yamaha Tmax, 08 Suzuki King Quad 750

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#9 Unread post by Sev »

So the brilliant question I have, is if you could have gotten a new V-star 1100 for 7grand, why did you spend 6grand on your suzuki.

Stop bullshitting everyone around you. Those bikes are not that cheap, and you do not know what you're talking about.

Shoo.
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

WyoRider
Regular
Regular

#10 Unread post by WyoRider »

MotoF150 wrote:yes, the dealer in my area was selling the new 06 Yamaha V Star 1100 Custom for $6995, and the Classic was $200 more. The new 06 V Star 650 Custom was selling for $4795, he adds and additional $195 for shipping and prep charge, not sure if he had any more left, check his web site and click on this advertizement page on the right, wwwtrackntrail.net

The only pricing I see from your dealers web site is a link to Yamaha and their pricing is exactly what I have said. How can your dealer sell a new 1100 Classic for $7195 when the msrp is $8899? And a 650 Classic for $1000 under msrp? Guess he isn't in the business to make money and want's to give them away huh? :roll:
I was born at night, but I wasn't born last night.
Go blow smoke up someone else's A$$.
'07 Honda Shadow Aero

Member:
Patriot Guard Rider
Society of the 3RD ID
NRA
YSC
HRCA