Bike Advice FZ6 Vs. FZ1?

politidan
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Sex: Male

Bike Advice FZ6 Vs. FZ1?

#1 Unread post by politidan »

Looking for something more upright and fuel injected. I am a 21 year old college student, I have ridden for a year and a half on a old yamaha 600. Looking for something new and improved to spend $4000-$4500ish on.

I have ridden a sv650s and for a while considered that or yamaha fz6, and think I have decided on the fz6. Problem is they were first made in 2004, so they are a little hard to find at a good price. I can find more FZ1's because they were made before the FZ6. Problem is I am skeptical of getting a 1000cc due to my limited experience. But at the same time I am not the typical college kid that is going to race around at 150mph. What are your guys thoughts on these two bikes? How big will that jump be from 600 to 1000? Am I crazy to consider it? Tell me your thoughts (SV650s, FZ6, FZ1) Thanks for the help everyone.

PS Majority of bike us is to get to school, riding with my roomate (he has sv650s), and riding up the beautiful california coast

Dennis316
Rookie
Rookie

#2 Unread post by Dennis316 »

everyone says that "im not the typical squid/college kid/idiot" the thing is, you dont HAVE TO BE the typical tard to make one wrong move or throttle twitch to fall, or to wheelie over in first gear on the FZ1 under hard acceleration

tell me this, why in the hell do you need 1000cc's to get to college and back, its going to get less than 40mpg compared to the FZ6 and sv650 55mpg+

another bike to consider would be the Suzuki Bandit 600, they stopped making it in 2003 and ive seen some for sale in my area for less than 3500 with less than 2k miles!

coyote
Regular
Regular
Sex: Male

#3 Unread post by coyote »

Its probaly to late for some info, but My buddy had a FZ6 last year, and 60-70m/gal was the norm, even around town it got 300-400km on a tank, but this Year He stepped up to the FZ1, and its way more fun, and around town He never rides it nice like the FZ6.... But on the Highway it still gets high 50's if he is good to it....
-15lbs+CutomSound+10Hp=??? ME and My ZZR
1st=78Honda750K
2nd=81Honda900Custom
3rd=83HondaV65Magna
Present=03KawasakiZZR1200

Nalian
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 2011/BMW/F800R

#4 Unread post by Nalian »

Dennis316 wrote:everyone says that "im not the typical squid/college kid/idiot" the thing is, you dont HAVE TO BE the typical tard to make one wrong move or throttle twitch to fall, or to wheelie over in first gear on the FZ1 under hard acceleration
If he's got a year and half on a 600cc he'll probably be fine after an adjustment period.

Personally I'd rather the FZ6 even if it meant saving up for a while because of gas consumption. My 650r got 60mpg plus on my trip and I've never gotten less than 50...I'd be hard pressed to give that up!

Shorts
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#5 Unread post by Shorts »

Nalian wrote:
Dennis316 wrote:everyone says that "im not the typical squid/college kid/idiot" the thing is, you dont HAVE TO BE the typical tard to make one wrong move or throttle twitch to fall, or to wheelie over in first gear on the FZ1 under hard acceleration
If he's got a year and half on a 600cc he'll probably be fine after an adjustment period.

Personally I'd rather the FZ6 even if it meant saving up for a while because of gas consumption. My 650r got 60mpg plus on my trip and I've never gotten less than 50...I'd be hard pressed to give that up!
+1

My husband went from a year on a 400cc cruiser to a 944cc Ducati. He's doing alright, even retook ERC on it to get a good foundation.

Again +1 on going with an FZ6. I think that'd be more practical in a sense that you'd use more of it. But, just intial thoughts. I have eyeballed the FZ6, it is a nice bike 8)

warren
Rookie
Rookie

#6 Unread post by warren »

I bought an fz-1 a few weeks ago and I love it. I am a totally new rider and I know everyone here would tell me I should have bought something smaller, but I bought what I did and have been super careful on it. After riding both I decided on the fz-1 because I knew I would be riding with it loaded down a lot as I plan to go on lots of trips(and I got a great deal on an a brand new 05). In the past 2 and 1/2 weeks I have put 1800 miles on it and am really impressed. The bike handles well and has more power than I will ever need. About the only thing I haven't liked has been that the windscreen does not provide tons of protection although there are lots of replacements available. So far average fuel economy has been about 48 or 49 miles per gallon and I live in the mountains where most every ride involves going over 11,000 feet. One last piece of insight. prior to 06 the fz-1s did not have fuel injection.
My bike:
2005 Yamaha fz-1

I love to ride. If your in Colorado hit me up I'd love company.