Royal Star

seandy
Rookie
Rookie

Royal Star

#1 Unread post by seandy »

Holy cow....I have got the itch to ride a bike again. Real bad. I have looked at a 2006 Royal Star and it's driving me crazy to get on it. The dealer is asking $12,600. Is this a good price? I bought another machine there a few months ago and the sales guy told me they sometimes took the bikes out to bars and such for show. The bike has a couple scratches on it. Ya'll let me know what you think....except you, Moto150...please refrain from making comment.

DivideOverflow
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Sex: Male

#2 Unread post by DivideOverflow »

How long has it been since you have been on a bike, what type of bike was it? The reason I ask is the Royal Star weighs about 900lbs wet... and it is a VERY heavy bike, even just sitting on it. If you don't have experience on a bike around that size, I recommend you get one a bit smaller and work your way up.

My dad is a really big guy 6'0, but 300 something pounds. He got an 800+ lbs bike for his first bike back riding, and now he wants to trade it in for something smaller. Those big bikes are just a complete chore around town. Once you get on a long, straight road, they are nice. However, trying to negotiate a 900lb beast into a U-Turn, or from stoplight to stoplight... not so fun. I mention this about the Royal Star specifically, as it carries its weight higher than many other cruisers. Same goes with the VTX1800 and the Vulcan 2000, too heavy in my opinion.
2008 BMW K1200S
2003 Z1000 - For Sale
1979 KZ650B - Work in progress
2005 Ducati SS 1000DS - sold :'(
1994 VFR750 Interceptor - sold
1984 VF700F Interceptor - sold
2004 Hyosung GV250 - sold

seandy
Rookie
Rookie

#3 Unread post by seandy »

Thanks for the advice. My buddy says the same thing. I do intend to ride it long distance more than commute with it. I like the V Star as well. Plus it would be easier to convince the ball and chain if I bought something less expensive. My first bike was a Shadow, so it was pretty light.

paul246
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Sex: Male

#4 Unread post by paul246 »

My advice, if you are going to spend that kind of money, is to look at a used Honda Valkyrie. Far superior machine IMHO and personal experience. Easy as pie to handle, even at very low speeds. Ultra smooth and a unique look and sound. If you are looking at touring either a Valkyrie Tourer or Valkyrie Interstate would be excellent choices. Unbelievable smooth power, unlimited torque. One of the big advantages with the "heavies" is their ability to perform in very high crosswinds. Many times I rode my Valkyrie when there were no other bikes on the road due to very high winds.. winds so strong even 4 wheel vehicle operators were having trouble staying on the road.
There is no such thing as a bad motorcycle.

Honda XR650L Dual-Sport