looking for reviews

bullwinkle
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

looking for reviews

#1 Unread post by bullwinkle »

Where can I find reviews of the Yamaha Venture vs Harley classic electra glide? What do you think?
Thanks.
You can't have everything. Where would you put it!
Steven Wright

huh
Elite
Elite

#2 Unread post by huh »

quick review. venture has more hp and tourqe (stock) and much much cheaper
hardley. engine can be upgraded but get ready for some major cash out lay.
bike will go for way more then msrp. but then you can join hog and be real cool. you can go to sturgis and fit in. :roll:

short is i would get the venture :wink: then with the money saved buy another bike.

also i like the venture better then the goldwing and you might want to look at the bmw.

of course the hardley will hold its value much better. but who cares about that?????? :frusty:
say what

Gummiente
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#3 Unread post by Gummiente »

huh wrote:quick review. venture has more hp and tourqe (stock) and much much cheaper
hardley. engine can be upgraded but get ready for some major cash out lay.
bike will go for way more then msrp. but then you can join hog and be real cool. you can go to sturgis and fit in. :roll:

short is i would get the venture :wink: then with the money saved buy another bike.

also i like the venture better then the goldwing and you might want to look at the bmw.

of course the hardley will hold its value much better. but who cares about that?????? :frusty:
Gee, that was an unbiased review... as usual. :roll:

BTW, what do YOU ride...?
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

Gummiente
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

Re: looking for reviews

#4 Unread post by Gummiente »

bullwinkle wrote:Where can I find reviews of the Yamaha Venture vs Harley classic electra glide?
I don't recall ever seeing a side by side comparison of these two, but it would make for an interesting test. FWIW, I've ridden a Venture and found it to be a nice riding bike with:

a) lots of torque - very nice acceleration in all gears, although I found the gap between 3rd and 4th to be a bit awkward

b) good suspension - a nice ride overall, a bit on the plush side but I didn't get a chance to play with the adjustments. It doesn't seem to like being thrown around tight, curvy roads though

c) good brakes - they haul it down from speed very quickly. Wish I had these on my Electra-Glide

The only real complaints I had were:

a) vague feedback from the steering - not sure what the cause was, but I'd push on the bar to countersteer into a corner and there would be a momentary delay before the bike would heel over. Soft rubber bushings in the handlebar risers perhaps? It also was hard to tell where the tires were and how much traction they had, it felt a lot like power steering on a car

b) limited space between rider and passenger floorboards - when putting my foot down at a stop it seemed there was very little room between the boards for my leg. I had a heck of a time dogpaddling it about in a parking lot because there just wasn't enough room to move the feet

c) a seating position that felt awkward - the seat seemed really comfy at first but after 20 minutes on the road I found there was no room to move around. But that just might be because I'm used to a different bike.

I'd give you my opinions on the Electra-Glide, but there's a couple of yahoos on here that would accuse me of being biased. :wink: :D
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

slamMojo
Rookie
Rookie

#5 Unread post by slamMojo »

I am not sure, but isn't the Yamaha Venture now called the Royal Star Tour Deluxe. If so, then Motorcyclist magazine has a comparison test with the H-D Road King, the Kawasaki 1600 Nomad, and the Yamaha Royal Star Tour Deluxe http://motorcyclecruiser.com/roadtests/baggers05/. I'm not sure if that is what you are looking for, but I hope it helps.

keysman

#6 Unread post by keysman »

Thanks Mike. That was a nice review.
New Hotness: 2005 Yamaha FJR1300
Old & Busted: 2003 BMW F650CS

schwartzkm
Rookie
Rookie

#7 Unread post by schwartzkm »

huh wrote:bike will go for way more then msrp. but then you can join hog and be real cool. you can go to sturgis and fit in. :roll:

:frusty:
All the HDs in the DFW area sale for MSRP--still expensive, though.