Yamaha xj650 Touring?

thomak
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

Yamaha xj650 Touring?

#1 Unread post by thomak »

I am hoping to take my 82 yamaha xj 650 on a fairly serious road trip this summer/fall. Due to the cold and wet weather I haven't gotten it out on the road yet (I got it this winter). Most people I have talked to said that it would be enough of a bike to do some touring on. I'm only 18 and wiegh 160. I was looking at a larger BMW R7 but because money was somthing I had to think about I changed my mind. Any thoughts or opinions on wheather or not this bike is okay for a long trip.

Thanks

JCS
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#2 Unread post by JCS »

As long as the bike is mechanically ok have at it. This is plenty of bike to go where ever you would like.
I would be the old, slow guy. Just let me know where you are going and I'll try to get there before you leave.

flynrider
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: '93 Honda Nighthawk 750

#3 Unread post by flynrider »

XJ650 is the four cylinder, right? That's an excellent ride for touring. My buddy used to ride one and I used to swap bikes with him a lot. My favorite touring feature is the smoothness of the I-4 engine. My old Kaw parallel twin would vibrate my fillings on long road trips, but when I got on the XJ, I had trouble telling if the engine was running. Much less fatigue when you're out on the road all day.
Bikin' John
'93 Honda CB750 Nighthawk

thomak
Rookie
Rookie

#4 Unread post by thomak »

Yeah its the inline 4. Thanks a lot guys. I was hoping it would be a good ride, but I had only ridden it a little bit on back roads. I'll keep you posted as I get closer to my trip as how its holding up.

Deadlever
Rookie
Rookie

#5 Unread post by Deadlever »

Do it, dude.

I have an XJ650J that I've put 1,000 miles on already this year. It's a sweet, economical smooth-running bike. A real "Energizer Bunny".
Steve

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#6 Unread post by ceemes »

I had a Honda CB 650, more of a cruiser then a sport touring bike, but in the same engine class. I road it from Vancouver to Penticton a number of times through the BC mountain and had no problems, the 650 had enough umphh to carry me along happily on both the highway and through the mountains, and I weighed around 225 at that time.