BMW Test Rides - F800ST and F650 X Country

Gatineau_Guy
Veteran
Veteran
Sex: Male

BMW Test Rides - F800ST and F650 X Country

#1 Unread post by Gatineau_Guy »

Yesterday I was able to avoid work for a couple of hours and go and test drive a couple of BMW bikes, the F800ST and the F650 X-Country. Once again here are my impressions of the bikes (I know everyone has been anticipating my review :laughing: ).

F800ST General Impressions
After my brief ride on this bike I really do not know what I think about the bike. It is one of the most comfortable bikes I have ever taken for a ride but something was lacking. I think it was because everything worked smoothly but there was nothing about the bike that I found inspiring. It seems like it would be a great bike to tour on, a great bike around town and even good for a quick run down your favorite twisty road but I don’t know if I would buy the bike. These mixed feelings a bit of a conundrum for me. The F800ST is appears to be a very competent bike. I hate not being able to say I really liked this bike or I really did not like this bike. I feel like I need more time with the bike. They declined my request to keep the bike for a couple of days.

Like High_Side’s experience with the F800S, I was not particularly impressed with the whole process of how to signal and then cancel your signal. Part way through the ride I almost had convince myself that it made sense but by the end of the ride I had managed to come to my senses. It is a bizarre set up in my opinion. You use your left thumb to signal left, your right thumb to signal right and then your right thumb to cancel your signal. I think I could get used to it so that would not be a reason for me to get the bike.

Power & Ride & Miscellaneous
The bike had satisfactory power. There wasn’t much of an increase in power over my Monster 620 until you were traveling at higher speeds. The extra ccs and horsepower were definitely noticeable above 100 km/h. Roll on from 110 km/h to 140 km/h was impressive (well to me anyway). The bike shifted smoothly and quietly. Opening up the throttle coming out of a corner at any speed was actually quite fun but something was missing – the sound. I did not like the sound of the beemer at all.

The ride was very smooth and I liked the handling of the bike. It leaned with very little effort and the handling was light and precise. My one complaint concerns the front fairing. It directed winding at my chest, right below my neck. I think the little fairing on my Monster does a better job of directing the wind. An adjustable fairing would be nice. I was told that there were aftermarket fairings that would work for taller riders (I am only 6’2” though).

I really liked the information centre in the instrument panel. It was possible to scroll between fuel consumption, estimated distance left on the fuel in the tank, bike temperature, etc. It also indicated what gear you where in. The other instruments were easy to read as well.

Overall
I was hoping to be able to give either a thumbs up or a thumbs down to this bike, but I can’t. This bike confuses me, I don’t love it, I don’t hate it, and it is a very comfortable bike to ride with ample power for touring. But I don’t know if I would add it to the garage.

F650 X Country General Impressions
Unlike the F800ST, I have not problems deciding what I think about this bike. I WANT ONE!! I was giggling like a school girl for the entire ride. The bike is light, it has a peppy little single cylinder with a close ratio transmission that is fun to run through. In first gear, it really wants to lift the front wheel (OK maybe I had something to do with that :D ). It likes to lean into the corners, it likes to accelerate hard out of the corners, it likes to brake hard and I really like it.

Power & Ride & Miscellaneous
I was surprised with the 650 single. I thought that is would be underpowered. I don’t know why I thought that, given that I ride a 620 cc bike. But the 53hp (according to BMW) is fun. Given the light nature of the bike (160 kg road ready or approximately 350 pounds) the 53 hp is more than satisfactory. The low weight of the bike made is extremely easy to throw around. I spent part of my ride trying to power slide the bike around corners with some success (usually followed by a small wheelie :twisted: ). The bike seems to encourage that sort of hooligan behaviour. BMW indicates a top speed of approximately 170 km/h and it had no problem getting up to an indicated 145 km/h. It felt very stable at speed, although the upright seating position made me think that the fairing on the F800ST would be appreciated.

I was surprised at how tall the bike was. I found it a little awkward to throw my leg over. But once I was on the bike I could not help but smile. The bike is narrow, and very comfortable. There is a lot of suspension travel which made me wish that part of the test ride was on some logging road. Unfortunately I don’t think the K1200S would have appreciated that. I get the impression that I would be a capable off road bike.

I like the digital speedometer and the turn signals were the traditional set up, one switch for both left and right turns. It was a welcome relief after the other set up.

Overall
So I have to give this bike two big thumbs up with a stupid grin on my face. After the ride, the guy following me in the group took off his helmet, smiled, laughed and then went to sign up for a test ride himself. This bike would definitely have a place in my garage. It did make me lust for my other dream bike even more, the Aprilia SXV 450. That was my favorite bike of the Montreal Motorcycle Show.

Next up – Harley and the Aprilia Tuono.