2007 Shadow Spirit 750

MrStitch
Rookie
Rookie

2007 Shadow Spirit 750

#1 Unread post by MrStitch »

As some of you know, I recently purchased my first bike, the Shadow Spirit 750. Of course, I haven't been on the boards a whole lot as I've been out pounding out the miles. So, I've had it for about 3 weeks, and I'm almost at 1,000 miles already.

Pro's
1) I haven't ridden for more than 15 years, but I was confident that I could hop on this thing and go. I'm about 5' 11", 175 pounds... of which probably 40 pounds of that is fat. (well... probably a little less). Point is, i'm not a real muscular guy, and I could easily handle this bike almost immediately. Sure, I killed it a few times within a 5 day period, but thats about it. This bike is easy to ride, and light weight enough that most beginners can handle.

2) Affordability - The price tag for this bike, clocked in at about $6800 (er... close, can't remember exact amount). After adding the sales tax, licensing (handled by the dealer which was nice), windshield, and passenger backrest, total dollar amount came to around $7500. To me, thats pretty darn good for a quality, brand spanking new, cruiser, with common accessories. It literally had 'one' mile on the OD when I pulled off the lot.

3) Power - Around town driving, this thing has more gusto than a person needs. Acceleration is quick, and like I said, this bike is easy to handle. But when I purchased this bike, the main reason was to save money on gas, as I take a 15 minute commute to work every day. Highway love is a must. At higher speeds (interstate speed here is 75), the bike doesn't have a whole lot of acceleration power. However, when I'm driving 75, and the car in front of me is going 72, the power that this bike gives you for passing is 'comfortable'. By that I mean, you're not completely dogging it trying to get by and fighting the wind, but you're not exactly ramping up to 85 mph in a heart beat either. Thus..... I would have to say that I would want NOTHING LESS than a 750 to make highway driving comfortable. Maybe a 750 in another brand of cruiser delivers something different.... someone would have to verify that.

4) Looks - This bike looks damn good. I got the black one with the custom gray flames, and even some old Harley fans have given me compliments on the looks. It 'looks' big, but it's light hearted. It's impressive enough to take anywhere.... and yes, lots of people asking for a ride. :P

Con's
1) The seat is pretty stiff. After riding for an hour, maybe a little less, your butt starts feeling a bit uncomfortable. But given the large curve angle of the seat, it looks like it was designed for someone with more fat on their "O Ring" than me. hahahah Anyways, it would make the ride a lot nicer if there was just an inch more cushion or something.

2) Tranny - I've talked to the dealer about this, and he made it sound like 'It's just the way it is'. Every once-in-a-while, i'll get stuck in Neutral. No matter how much you try, it won't kick down or up. To remedy this, I was told to let out the clutch and pull back in, then try to switch gears. This seems to work, however.... it's not something that should be present. Maybe someone here would be able to tell me how to fix/adjust this. It doesn't happen very often, but it's embarrassing to sit at a red light, then try to go.... making cars sit behind you wondering what the heck you're doing. It's NEVER cause problems while driving per say, only every so often, and when stationary. Furthermore, I've had this happen only ONE time when I was in first gear, and trying to get into neutral to park it. Again, popping the clutch (a little, in this case) fixed the issue. I was told by the dealer that the prongs (dogs?) on the gears occasionally line up with each other, instead of sliding inside themselves. I can see this happening, however.... it's seems like it's something that should NEVER happen. For god sakes, how long have we been making transmissions for? On the plus side tho, it's never affected my driving.

3) Fuel reserve - Since this bike doesn't come stock with a fuel gauge, I've managed to run out of gas at least 3 or 4 times now. I'm getting better at guessing when I need gas, but when you commute every day, it's just going to happen at some point. The downside is the location, and by that I mean it's on the LEFT side. Maybe this is normal, I don't know as this is my first bike. But to me, if I'm driving down the highway, and the bike starts cutting out from having no fuel, it would make sense to have it on the RIGHT side. Why? This way, when going faster speeds, I can just pull in the clutch and coast. Then, with my right hand, simply make the switch, and try to start again. If it starts soon enough, I would only have to maybe switch down a gear.... maybe two, and just keep going. But with this kind of set up, I'm FORCED to pull over. I have to figure out how to get into neutral on a dead engine, quick enough. On a lighter note, maybe this is just good old fashion safety engineering. Perhaps it's not wise to be messing around with that stuff when riding..... but it would seem more logical than suddenly pulling over, with cars behind you, at higher speeds, with a gravel infested pull-off lane.

4) Trim - At first glance, this bike has a heck of a lot of chrome. After some time though, I'm realizing that there is a portion that really isn't chrome.... just chrome-painted plastic. For instance, there is a chrome looking piece that surrounds the speedometer. After some time with the bike, I realized that this was actually plastic. Also, the turn signal cups are plastic. And I haven't really gotten down and dirty to figure everything out yet, but I'm wondering "Just how much of this is plain plastic". Is this normal? Anyways, the bike still looks good, however , I'm worried about cracks. Plastic can break, and since we can never expect EVERYTHING that can happen, my gut tells me, at some point in time, a plastic piece is going to get cracked because ________ (fill in the blank). It's going to stick out like a sore thumb. Maybe this is how the get the price just right. Maybe other bikes are exactly the same. Either way..... it's not very comforting.

That about all I have for now I guess. Gotta change the oil soon, so we'll see how that go's. Hope that helps some people out there.....

flw
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: '98 Honda Goldwing GL1500se

#2 Unread post by flw »

On your item #4 Power. Both in town and on the Interstate a lot of that can be determined on how the designers made the final gear ratio. What I mean is the final gear set to be on the low end of the power curve requiring a downshift to pass but would have a higher top end.

Mine (500cc w/6speed trans) will jump from 70 to 85 but its also get closer to its top end speed. Yours would most likely have a greater top end than mine by a good margin.

I have not seen any reliable list from a OEM say what their top end gear ratio's are really designed to cruise at. So in some area (states or countries) cruising speed and passing only require a turn of the throttle. Where others you need to down shift not because of power but due to the gearing at that States legal speed limit. Or your current speed.

Most all cruisers are literally geared to cruise, not run like a sport bike would. But you gain comfort where they have less.
Goldwing 1500se '98
VN500 LTD '07 Sold

MrStitch
Rookie
Rookie

#3 Unread post by MrStitch »

Wow... you downshift to pass?

Seems illogical. hahahha

But I'm a newb. Anyhow, I highly doubt I'm suppose to downshift like you do. This bike would freak out if I did that.

tortus
Elite
Elite

Re: 2007 Shadow Spirit 750

#4 Unread post by tortus »

MrStitch wrote: 2) Tranny - I've talked to the dealer about this, and he made it sound like 'It's just the way it is'. Every once-in-a-while, i'll get stuck in Neutral. No matter how much you try, it won't kick down or up. To remedy this, I was told to let out the clutch and pull back in, then try to switch gears. This seems to work
I'm pretty sure this is normal. On all four bikes I've ever ridden (three were bought brand new), they all did this. I've been explained to why this happens, but I honestly don't remember enough to try and repeat it. But in certain situations you sometimes have to "coax" the transmission out of neutral.

Also after some panic stops I find I'm completely stopped yet the transmission is still in say sixth gear. Getting her to shift back down to first so I can take off again is tricky.

Anyway, nice review. My friend had the same bike and he loved it. He just recently gave it to his brother in law who was in desperate need of some wheels to get around.

tortus
Elite
Elite

Re: 2007 Shadow Spirit 750

#5 Unread post by tortus »

MrStitch wrote: 3) Fuel reserve - Since this bike doesn't come stock with a fuel gauge, I've managed to run out of gas at least 3 or 4 times now.
Your reserve tank is your fuel gauge. Once you have to shift to reserve, you know you have not much fuel left :)
The downside is the location, and by that I mean it's on the LEFT side. Maybe this is normal, I don't know as this is my first bike. But to me, if I'm driving down the highway, and the bike starts cutting out from having no fuel, it would make sense to have it on the RIGHT side. Why? This way, when going faster speeds, I can just pull in the clutch and coast.
It's always on the left side. I believe that's even part of the "standardized controls" of modern motorcycles.

It makes more sense on the left. You only need your left hand to operate the clutch occassionaly. You are typically holding the throttle open most of the time. If it was on the right and you had to let go of the throttle while switching to reserve, the bike would lose speed dramatically and it'd be dangerous.

With it on the left, just keep riding along, reach down, and switch to reserve, and keep going. You shouldn't have to slow down at all to do this. Practice this, just switch to reserve a few times while out riding (remember to switch back to normal!) this is definitely a skill you want to have before you really need it.

MrStitch
Rookie
Rookie

#6 Unread post by MrStitch »

Well, one would 'think' that the fuel reserve is in the right place, exactly for the reasons you've stated.

But theres a problem with this -

When the engine starts sputtering and dying, the speed of the bike slows down WAY faster when its in gear, than if I just pull the clutch in. Maybe thats just this particular bike. Or maybe it's due to the fact that its a shaft drive. Would a belt drive offer more slip?

Seriously tho, when its in gear and looses its juice, the bike bogs WAY down. I feel that operating the reserve switch during those few moments could be dangerous, as the bike sometimes finds a tiny bit of juice and then kicks in. Basically, it will sputter and jerk with power. Know what I mean?

If I could pull the clutch in, I would eliminate those effects completely, making it a safer 'coasting' speed, held by it's moment. This would allow me to move the switch without worrying that it might 'kick in and out' randomly at these higher speeds.

Next time it happens, I'll think about what you said. Maybe if I let off the throttle completely, it will alleviate the jerkiness.

flynrider
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: '93 Honda Nighthawk 750

#7 Unread post by flynrider »

Your bike should give a a bit of warning before dying completely. After you've been riding it awhile, you'll know by the odometer when to expect it to run out of gas.

Just about every bike I've ridden (including a Shadow) will give you subtle hints that it is about to run out of gas. Lack of throttle response, or a slight miss as one cylinder goes lean first. If you reach down and flip to reserve at the first sign of fuel starvation, you shouldn't deccelerate that much at all. Instead of running out of gas all at once, carbed bikes just get leaner and leaner fuel/air mixtures until they die.

I think, with time, you'll be more atuned to the warning signs and this will become a no-brainer for you.

You also wrote :
Wow... you downshift to pass?

Seems illogical. hahahha

But I'm a newb. Anyhow, I highly doubt I'm suppose to downshift like you do. This bike would freak out if I did that.
You highly doubt it? This is how motorcycles are supposed to be ridden. Your bike makes its best power at high rpms. If you want power to pass, you'll downshift (unless you're already doing 80 mph).

I think I posted about this the other day, but I'll say it again. A lot of newbs tend to complain that their bikes lack power on the highway because they're not riding them properly. In order to tap the available horsepower that Honda put in your engine, you need to be in a gear that will turn the engine at the rpms in which it makes that power. Your VT-750 is not going to freak out if you do that. It expects you to do that.
Bikin' John
'93 Honda CB750 Nighthawk

MrStitch
Rookie
Rookie

#8 Unread post by MrStitch »

Sorry, thats what I meant... I'm already doing 80 in the 5th gear.

flynrider
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: '93 Honda Nighthawk 750

#9 Unread post by flynrider »

Well there's your problem :laughing: If you plan on doing a lot of passing from 80 mph, then you probably need a different bike.
Bikin' John
'93 Honda CB750 Nighthawk

flw
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: '98 Honda Goldwing GL1500se

#10 Unread post by flw »

Yes it time for a sport bike or a much larger (or much more powerful ) cc engine on a crusier.
Goldwing 1500se '98
VN500 LTD '07 Sold