Vulcan 750 or 800?

jeff_connors
Veteran
Veteran
Sex: Male

Vulcan 750 or 800?

#1 Unread post by jeff_connors »

I'm looking to move up from my Rebel and decided on the Honda 600 but then saw the Vulcans. The 750 and 800 have the same list price but are very different. In anyones opinion, is the 750 or the 800 a better choice? The 750 has the shaft drive and tubeless tires. I just want to make the best decision for me. All the reviews seem to bash the seats but say the rest of the bike is good. It confuses me why a manufacturer would make a good product but have one part of it substandard. Thanks.
Jeff
'04 Black Honda Rebel
'04 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic (sold)
'00 Kawasaki W650 (sold)
'95 Nighthawk 750 (sold)
'06 Suzuki V-Strom 650 (light blue)
'05 Yamaha FZ6 (purple)
'02 Honda Nighthawk (red-sold)
'02 Honda Nighthawk (black)

Gummiente
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#2 Unread post by Gummiente »

It all boils down to which bike makes your heart beat faster, really. They're both good bikes and there's tons of aftermarket stuff out there for them. My girlfriend rides an '01 Vulcan 800 Classic and she's quite happy with it, especially after ditching the stock seat in favour of a Mustang solo.
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

nyrblue35
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#3 Unread post by nyrblue35 »

before i bought my 1st used(new to me) bike i was obsessing over the vulcan 750. i love the dual guage look, the feel of the bike(only sat on it, didnt ride it) and i also loved how it looks different from alot the the harley looking cruisers out there. i guess the retro look really took me. i cant see how much difference is between the two besides the chain/shaft. my vote goes for the 750 but i didnt even ride either. :cry:
See my bike and accessories at
www.CruiserCustomizing.com/nyrblue35

huh
Elite
Elite

#4 Unread post by huh »

the 750 even being old is more advanced. dual overhead cam v-twin better brakes. also has air shocks and a center stand. the 750 takes a page straight from the 80's while the 800 is more of a harley clone.

i would get the 750 without a doubt. damn things are bomb proof and have a more sprited engine. did i mention a tach???? :D and the cool 80's look?????
say what

old-n-slow
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#5 Unread post by old-n-slow »

Had the 750. Great machine. Go with the shaft drive. I would always pick the shaft over the chain cuss I hate the maintenance thing with the chain. When I want to ride I want to ride, not wrench.....
GarryS ---- "We learn from experience that men never learn anything from experience."

PerrydaSavage
Rookie
Rookie

Vulcan VN800A!!

#6 Unread post by PerrydaSavage »

While both are great Bikes ... IMO the Vulc 800A (Custom) is the best lookin' of all of the Vulcan varieties ... has that Harley Softtail thang goin' on ... an aftermarket belt-drive conversion would make this Cruiser just about perfect!
The World is too large for SMALL MINDS!

slamMojo
Rookie
Rookie

#7 Unread post by slamMojo »

As many have said, the two bikes are both good, but are aimed at different audiences. The Kaw Vulcan 750 below is older, but more complex, technologically. It is also a stronger performer on the top end.
The Vulcan 800 is more of a Harley clone in both its looks and its bottom and mid-range oriented performance.
It is up to you to decide your priorities. Do you want the virtually maintanence free ease of the shaft drive, or is the styling of the 800 more important? Do you want high revving top end or an engine that can lug way down low all day long? Do you want a machine with more aftermarket accesories or one that will tie you to the manufacturer's dealer only. Whatever you choose, enjoy. If I see you on the road, I'll wave. :wave: