2003 1100 V STAR, what to look for?

jetmech727
Regular
Regular

2003 1100 V STAR, what to look for?

#1 Unread post by jetmech727 »

I'm going to have a look at an 03 1100 VSTAR tomorow. Just wanted to know what I should be looking for in terms of things to be concerned about.

Thanks

canuckerjay
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Sex: Male

#2 Unread post by canuckerjay »

The stock seat is crap. Ask if they've replaced it. If they haven't; I'm willing to bet a paycheque that it will wind up being first on your to do list.

The front pipe needs to be taken off to change the oil filter. Ask if they've installed an oil filter relocation kit. If not, that'll run you around 200$. If they've done it, inspect it. It will be in front of the engine, at the bottom of the bike around the dual down tubes of the frame.

Ask if they've modded the intake and/or pipes. Lots of star riders do this. If they have, find out exactly what they've done and what brands they've used. And ask if the jets have been replaced and with what.

The Vstars suffer from one annoying problem: twisted starter bolts. Ask if this has ever had to be replaced. (hasn't happened to me yet).

Please note this engine revs high. It took some time for me to get used to it, but on the highway you might think it's going to blow up from the sound it makes. This is normal for the bike. It has a rev limiter, so don't worry. But if this will really suck for you, buy something else.

Otherwise, a great bike for the money. Good luck.
Wherever you may roam
May you own your road.