Opinions on Bonneville / Sportster

Nalian
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 2011/BMW/F800R

#11 Unread post by Nalian »

My 06 883c was taken up to 110 (not by me) and stayed here fine..dunno if it had more in it or not but there ya have it.

Randy
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Sex: Male
My Motorcycle: 2007/Honda/CBR1000

#12 Unread post by Randy »

the bad thing about Triumphs is that the drive chain is on the wrong side!! =P
Trying is the first step towards failure - Homer Simpson
05 Yamaha VMAX
04 Suzuki SV650
05 Suzuki RMZ450

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#13 Unread post by jstark47 »

Randy wrote:the bad thing about Triumphs is that the drive chain is on the wrong side!! =P
...and that has exactly what to do with anything?
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

sx66gns
Rookie
Rookie

#14 Unread post by sx66gns »

thanks folks , I'm really doing the research and leaning toward the triumph , it seems to have allot more of what I'm personally looking for , although my family and buddies all ride harleys , the sportster seems like it needs allot of customization right "out of the box".

sx66gns
Rookie
Rookie

#15 Unread post by sx66gns »

by the way Feliz , that's amazingly beautiful bike in the pic you posted.

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#16 Unread post by jstark47 »

sx66gns wrote:thanks folks , I'm really doing the research and leaning toward the triumph , it seems to have allot more of what I'm personally looking for , although my family and buddies all ride harleys , the sportster seems like it needs allot of customization right "out of the box".
The Bonneville has great character, and is easy to ride. However, to be fair to the Sportster, as a Bonneville owner I have to point out the Bonne needs mods too. Triumph strangled the poor engine to get it through emissions regulations. To get it to sound right and tap into the performance potential, at a minimum you'll have to replace the stock pipes, re-jet, and install a high-flow air filter. Eventually you'll probably want to do something about those cheap price-point suspension components, and unless your butt is made of steel, you'll need a better seat.

That's just the beginning, people go nuts modifying these bikes. :D Check the http://www.bellacorse.com/ and http://www.newbonneville.com/index.html sites and you'll see what I mean!
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

Nalian
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 2011/BMW/F800R

#17 Unread post by Nalian »

sx66gns wrote:thanks folks , I'm really doing the research and leaning toward the triumph , it seems to have allot more of what I'm personally looking for , although my family and buddies all ride harleys , the sportster seems like it needs allot of customization right "out of the box".
I disagree with that statement - I really think it's pretty rideable from the get go. But, everyone wants something different in a bike, so there you have it. Either way, I don't think you can go wrong with either bike, though, if how you want to ride fits either of the two bikes.

sx66gns
Rookie
Rookie

#18 Unread post by sx66gns »

Nalian wrote:
I disagree with that statement - I really think it's pretty rideable from the get go. But, everyone wants something different in a bike, so there you have it. Either way, I don't think you can go wrong with either bike, though, if how you want to ride fits either of the two bikes.
I meant pipes that sound good , forward controls , I hear complaint after complaint about the seat and the need to add a rear seat.

sx66gns
Rookie
Rookie

#19 Unread post by sx66gns »

jstark47 wrote:
The Bonneville has great character, and is easy to ride. However, to be fair to the Sportster, as a Bonneville owner I have to point out the Bonne needs mods too. Triumph strangled the poor engine to get it through emissions regulations. To get it to sound right and tap into the performance potential, at a minimum you'll have to replace the stock pipes, re-jet, and install a high-flow air filter. Eventually you'll probably want to do something about those cheap price-point suspension components, and unless your butt is made of steel, you'll need a better seat.

That's just the beginning, people go nuts modifying these bikes. :D Check the http://www.bellacorse.com/ and http://www.newbonneville.com/index.html sites and you'll see what I mean!
thanks for the links , and you've just said about the Bonneville what I normally heard about the sportster..

So let's say you have 8,000 allocated for a bike , should I just go ahead and plan for another 2,000 for either choice in accessories?

celt
Elite
Elite

#20 Unread post by celt »

sx66gns wrote:
I meant pipes that sound good , forward controls , I hear complaint after complaint about the seat and the need to add a rear seat.
there's no way i'd ever put forwards on a Bonnie.

in fact, i really don't like the sporty customs with the forwards or the bonny America either.

but that is solely my opinion and most Americans disagree.

to me the sporty and bonny should be mid or rear mounts...nimble and quick handling in the corners...that's the beauty of them...

if i were you i'd ride them both with midmounts before making any rash decision about forward controls... :?

edit: unless you're really tall, that is...