2007 Sportster vs. Bonneville vs. other Standards

celt
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male

2007 Sportster vs. Bonneville vs. other Standards

#1 Unread post by celt »

Fell in love with an '06 bonnie t100 a month ago when I took it for a test ride. I'm used to my doggish 750 Shadow Ace 750. So when I test drove the t100, i had a shi*t-eating grin the entire time because it was comfy, quick and light.

I've always thought I was a 'cruiser' guy, but that Bonnie has me thinking standard. Long story short, I still owe on my loan for the honda, I can't afford to take out another loan on the new Bonnie, and they are unable to take in a trade.

So I was obsessing over not being able to get the Bonnie, because the color I like is discontinued in '07.

Anywho, I haven't even THOUGHT about Harleys for a long time, but when I was reading a shootout with the Bonny, the word Sportster popped into my head. I haven['t thought about one since I first started riding and sat on one, thinking it was uncomfortable (this is before I even got my permit).

Well, I'm taking my Honda to the motor company tomorrow to see what they'll give me on trade (they already said they'd take it...just want to dicker a price) for most likely a 2007 1200 Sportster Roadster.

They're similar to the bonnie in stature, the 1200 is quicker than the 865, and they will take a trade. I was also kind of shocked how solid the Sportster was, compared to the bonnie (which had a few plastic parts, etc...)

I want to know everybody's opinions, NOT to bash any bikes....

What say you all?

*I am NOT a 'harley guy' an 'asian bike guy' or a 'european bike guy'...

I have a slight preference for the look and finish of American or European bikes, but I own a Honda and would consider another. I have started looking at the standards other than the sportster & bonnie, but I am definitely not likely ot buy a 'sportbike' styled standard....

celt
Elite
Elite

#2 Unread post by celt »

blows my mind that nobody has any opinions on bonnies, sporties and/or other standards!

:shock:

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#3 Unread post by Sev »

You mean in 2 hours?
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

celt
Elite
Elite

#4 Unread post by celt »

Sevulturus wrote:You mean in 2 hours?
3, but who's counting. :wink:

Nalian
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 2011/BMW/F800R

#5 Unread post by Nalian »

Well I can't comment on any bikes other than my own - which is an 883 sportster custom, and a brief ride I did on a 1200 sportster custom. I really like it - like you mentioned its a good solid bike. The new 2007 has EFI which is nice - I would prefer to have that over the carbs. The bike definitely has to have its warm up period, its grumpy and will cough if you don't give it the time. But once its warm it's ready to go. I haven't had any issues so far in the almost 3k miles I've had it, but I'd guess thats normal for almost any bike. ;)

For being a big heavy bike I find it pretty maneuverable right up until you stop - then its a bit cumbersome. I'm 5'8" and able to flatfoot it very easily, but the stock seat did suck. I swapped it out for a mustang and it's been great since then.

I don't know that I'd call it a standard necessarily with the forward controls. I like them alright but there are times I find myself wishing I'd got the mids so it would be easier/quicker to be off the seat for bumps and such (angle is a little too far forward for a quick stand), but its manageable.

BlueBomber
Elite
Elite

#6 Unread post by BlueBomber »

First: What color is it you like in the bonneville?

Second: The new Sportsters have a lot to like. They've still got the old favorites like being belt drivern, and a huge monster list of upgrades and accessories. Plus there's all the new fun things!

Improve clutch
6 speed tranny
Fuel Injected

This bike has finally moved forward, and it's a good thing.

The Bonnie is nice though, I've been sitting on the t100 in my local shop...

(and they'd probably take the honda in trade!)

\/\/
Suzuki Boulevard M50 - Bright Blue

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

Re: 2007 Sportster vs. Bonneville vs. other Standards

#7 Unread post by jstark47 »

BlueBomber wrote:Plus there's all the new fun things!

Improve clutch
6 speed tranny
Fuel Injected
Sporties added EFI for 2007, but they're still 5-speed transmissions.

Conventional wisdom used to be that a Bonnie could take a 883, but would lose to a 1200. With the EFI added in 2007, not sure how that improves the Sporties. One thing to remember, Sporties are about 110 lbs heavier than Bonnies - it makes a difference. Another thing, Bonneville's need a few mods before they perform. Most important is fitting freer pipes and rejetting.

celt wrote:I was also kind of shocked how solid the Sportster was, compared to the bonnie (which had a few plastic parts, etc...)
Celt- there's very little plastic on a Bonnie that I'm aware of.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#8 Unread post by Sev »

I very much enjoy my Honda 599 - sporty styling, but a very upright/standard seating position. You can read about my adventures in my blog, click the pic below.
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

MrGompers
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#9 Unread post by MrGompers »

Sporty added EFI for 2007. With that in mind you mite be able to get a great deal on leftover 2006 sporties. I went to a harley dealership a couple weeks ago and they were offering great deals on 2006 sporties.

Personally, I like the VROD. Would have to ride one first tho before buying.

BTW, alot of harley dealers offer rentals. Maybe you should check into that before buying.

Ian522
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#10 Unread post by Ian522 »

According to this T100 review, triumph may have fuel injection on the Bonnies starting in '08. Don't know how true it is though, id go to a triumph dealer and ask around to make sure.

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/11august ... h_t100.htm

"The air injection kit barely saves the 2007 models, but in 2008 Triumph will have to change the fuelling again. By then, only fuel injection will be able to save the Modern Classics range from the long arm of emissions regulations."

The T100 bonnie is my dream bike, unmatched coolness factor.