Question for V-strom 650 riders

Texfire
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male

Question for V-strom 650 riders

#1 Unread post by Texfire »

I'm looking for some feedback. I've decided that I need a bike with a more standard riding position, instead of my current cruiser.

I don't have any off-roading experience, but would like to get enough to be able to handle some mild unimproved roads while on tour. I can't really consider having multiple bikes at this time, so I am thinking that one of the dual sports like a V-Strom might be a good candidate for day touring but still have potential for long-term tours with some off-roading in the unspecified future.

Is it a good bike for a new rider, and how well does it perform on the highway for a couple of hours? That's really my first criteria, since I am pretty disappointed with highway performance of my current bike. My second major criteria is on-bike lockable storage.

As far as off-roading goes, I suspect that a heavy 650cc bike will not be an ideal bike for a newbie to off-roading, but would it be good on fire roads?

Finally, I only have a month of riding under my belt, so if you think it would be too much bike for a new rider, it would be good to know now. :)

Tex

mgdavis
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#2 Unread post by mgdavis »

The V-Strom sounds like just about what you're looking for. It's by no means a dirtbike, but it does decently on dirt roads, and it will do even better if you mount knobbies. On-Highway is fine, my only gripe is that the stock windshield creates some turbulence and buffets your head around a bit. It makes a decent second bike in my opinion. One thing you may have to be cognizant of is how tall the bike is. I'm 6 foot, and if I were a couple inches shorter I'm not sure I'd be able to comfortably get a foot down at stops.
All said, I love my DL650, it's a great all-round bike.
'07 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
An armed man is a citizen, an unarmed man is a subject.
Molon Labe!!!

Texfire
Elite
Elite

#3 Unread post by Texfire »

I'm 6' 1" with a 32" inseam. I'm going to sit on one tomorrow I think.

Tex

HB Hemi
Rookie
Rookie

#4 Unread post by HB Hemi »

I just made the switch from a Yamaha Warrior to a V-Strom DL1000 and am loving it. I just wasn't "feeling" the cruiser seating position of the Warrior, but I do miss the awesome torque it had. . .

You can find a TON of info on the V-Strom at http://www.stromtrooper.com/forums/index.php

Tom
2003 Yamaha Roadstar Warrior

[url=http://rswarrior.com]RSWarrior[/url]

Septimus
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 2007 BMW F800ST

#5 Unread post by Septimus »

The guy who runs this site works for a place that makes a special windscreen just for the V-Strom:

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/

He seems to like his a lot. I'm thinking about a V-Strom after I've had my first bike for a season or two - I would've bought one up front but I would've felt awful dropping a $7000 bike as a newbie.

Otherwise, though, I'm in the same boat as you, and I'm thinking that one day it'll either be that or a BMW F 800ST. The V-Strom actually seems to have more 'bike' for your money, but...the BMW is soooo pretty...
2007 BMW F800ST

HB Hemi
Rookie
Rookie

#6 Unread post by HB Hemi »

I just purchased a set of the Madstad windshield brackets that I have heard nothing but good things about.

I have not gotten to test them yet but you should do a search on stromtrooper.com for opinions.

http://www.madstad.com/servlet/Detail?no=11
2003 Yamaha Roadstar Warrior

[url=http://rswarrior.com]RSWarrior[/url]

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#7 Unread post by storysunfolding »

The head buffeting is the only major problem I've heard about with the V-Strom.

Personally I only experience it with a passenger ~65 mph. However, when the passenger holds me tighte :wink: it goes away. I've since fixed this problem with $5 worth of washers and screws.

The seat isn't the most comfy thing, but there's a guy who modified mine for ~$80 and it feels much better than a friends Sargeant Saddle seat. I've since added a home made skeepskin pad to it and it's divine.

If those are problems for you, it doesn't take much to fix. After that she's a dream on the highway. My 650 gets between 57 and 62 mpg, runs at interstate speeds around 5-5.5k and is super comfy. To make the multiple hundred mile trips longer I've added highway pegs to my Hepco Becker crash bars to stretch the legs out. Some guys go as far as to lower the pegs a little to make the seating position even more comfortable.

As far as offroad capabilities, if you have dirt experience you can take it off fireroads onto more forgiving trails without much extra effort. It is top heavy though and that's something you need to get a feel for on a loose surface.

If you plan to do mostly road riding the V-strom is for you. If you want to do more than 40% dirt riding, then the KLR650 should be your choice. Collectively, these bikes cover all kinds of riding.

Though recently a fellow MSF instructor called my V-Strom an old mans bike and that because of it I have the soul of a 65 year old man. :roll:
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

Texfire
Elite
Elite

#8 Unread post by Texfire »

Fellas, I really appreciate the feedback. I decided to go with a used K75 instead and get some more experience before looking at a dual-sport. I have to admit the fact that I was able to buy the BMW for $250 out of pocket with my trade-in was a major reason for my decision.

I have a feeling that a V-Strom might still be in my future, but further down the road.

Te

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#9 Unread post by storysunfolding »

No worries- as long as you stay on two wheels we're happy. Glad you found a new bike!
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

newbie46
Rookie
Rookie

#10 Unread post by newbie46 »

going with a new 650 wee myself, passed MSF last week and in the rain! Great weather for a ride on the Wee! 8) 8) 8)
my first/last bike was a 1965 Suzuki Hilly Billy