2008 Cycle World Show Coverage

keysman
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male

2008 Cycle World Show Coverage

#1 Unread post by keysman »

2008 Cycle World International Motorcycle Show - San Mateo, CA show coverage, TMW style!

Yesterday (17 Nov. 2008) I headed out early to attend this years Cycle World event in my area. The trip from my home to the San Mateo County Event Center takes about 1 hour 45 minutes but has always been worth it. This year remains unchanged, the show was great and well worth the trip. This is my third year in a row attending this event and each year the show gets better. This year was better than last and last year was better than the year before. That said, I can't wait for next years show.

I'm going to touch on some of the highlights from the show and share my experience but really the best way for you to enjoy the show is to get out there and visit it for yourself. There are still nine more upcoming shows this season and if you missed the show in your area, I recommend you make sure you remember to go next year. Check out the show schedule at the official website.

http://www.motorcycleshows.com/

The excitement this year began even before we entered a building, in the Events Center parking lot where many manufacturers had bikes staged and ready to go for test rides. BMW, Kawasaki, Harley Davidson, Yamaha and others all had bikes available for demo rides. One of the first products to catch my eye was the BRP Can-Am Spyder Roadster. The Can-Am is an interesting three wheeled conveyance that looks quite inviting. The Can-Am is product of Bombardier Recreational Products powered by a 990 cc Rotax engine that produces 106 horsepower and 77 foot pounds of torque. An aggressive riding position and slick styling make this a pretty exciting product. Check out all the details at the Can-Am Spyder website.

http://spyder.brp.com/

BMW had the new F800 GS on hand as well as the HP2 Sport. The HP2 Sport is a beautiful marriage of high-end high-performance parts tied to the most powerful Boxer engine ever. The race style dashboard, Brembo brakes, forged aluminum wheels, and Ohlins suspension are just a few of bits and pieces that make this a performance machine really shine. Check out all the juicy details on the HP2 Sport in this great review at gizmag.com.

http://www.gizmag.com/go/8108/

Image Image Image

For those individuals who recently won the lottery the MV Agusta F4CC was on hand. The F4CC is clad in what seems like it must be miles of delicious carbon fiber. Carrying a $120,000 price tag the F4CC is perhaps out of reach for just a few motorcycle riders out there. I'll admit that 200 hp and 92 lb-ft of torque are intoxicating but at 412.6 pounds with an empty tank of gas, I have to wonder how much that carbon fiber actually weighs. 8) Now I know this bike is a lot more than hp numbers and dry weight but... at $120K this bike out to distance typical super-sport performance bikes by an enormous distance. Unfortunately, it doesn't.

The Ducati 1098 has a dry weight of 381 pounds and makes 160 hp and 90 lb-ft for a mere $16,000. Step up to the 1098 R and the performance jumps to 180 hp and 99 lb-ft while the dry weight drops to 363 pounds and at $40,000 you'll still have $80,000 in your wallet for upgrades before you get to the cost of the MV. Humm? :humm:

Still, feel free to drool over the F4CC at the MV Agusta website.

http://www.mvagustausa.com/web-mvagusta/07_F4_CC.html

Image Image

Buell had the new Rotax powered 1125R on hand at the show and I have to say, I'm still not quite sure about this model. I think the new engine is a step in the right direction for Buell but I'm still not sure about the styling of the 1125. Looking into the eyes of the 1125 reminds me of a hammerhead shark and I'm not sure that's a good thing. The dual radiator scoops are also something that I'm not sure I can grow to love. I would love to ride one however and of course love for any bike can only be cemented with a good ride.

http://www.buell.com/en_us/bikes/sportb ... /index.asp

Those are my highlights for this year. If you really want to experience the show, check the schedule, get out there and experience it. That way you'll have your very own highlights to share, until then enjoy my photos.

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
New Hotness: 2005 Yamaha FJR1300
Old & Busted: 2003 BMW F650CS

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#2 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Excellent review! You left me wanting to read even MORE it was that entertaining. :D

The MV Agusta F4CC is sure a great looking and very (very) very expensive bike. Wow, $120k for one... how many did they make???

I'm with you on the Buell 1125R looks. I'm not sure how I feel about it either, and I own one of the love it/hate it looks of motorcycle models, the V-Strom. haha.

But I do agree, Buell is reaching out in the right direction. They are a "sport bike" company and they need to step it up with that, and the 1125R is the right step.

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

QuietMonkey
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#3 Unread post by QuietMonkey »

Keysman,

You touched on bikes that fit my tastes and like you I feel the 1125R needs a little restyling of the front end particularly... the motor will probably be enough to get some real momentum behind Buell sales and rebuild faith in the brand. The magazine reviews have been very favourable so far.

The only "bike" which i am not fond of is that Rotax Spyder, which the Canadian dealers had here as a 2007 model, and although one local dealer said they sold out of stock easily, it seems geared more to a new (i.e. non-motorcyclist) market. aw well. technically it's interesting, but as I said in some posting on the Spyder previously, if you're going to have three wheels, why not add seats, side by side seating and voila T-Rex, which corners at something like 1.8Gs and currently use the latest Kawi ZX14 engine... :mrgreen:
http://www.go-t-rex.com/

review:
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/carreviews ... /trex.html

That KTM Rooke is nice.. and the packaging is better than the liquid-cooled Monsters, but with Show bikes (and race bikes) it's easier to change (or remove) things that true production street bike cant:

and i always love pure bred race bikes like KTMs 125 GP bike:
"Zounds! Zorched by Zarches, Spaceman Spiff's crippled craft crashes on planet Plootarg!"

For Sale: Ninja 600 with parts bike, needs minor work, $30, no title... (GEE THAT DOESNT RING ANY WARNING BELLS DOES IT?)