Teach me about the V-Star 650

Kuhnfyoozed
Veteran
Veteran
Sex: Male

Teach me about the V-Star 650

#1 Unread post by Kuhnfyoozed »

I searched for the V-Star and didn't find a whole lot of info regarding the 650, so I'm gonna ask anyway. I'm still a squid, looking around at potential first bikes, and I've seen quite a few interesting V-Stars on craigslist.

I'm not going to be doing much highway riding, I think, but that may change in the future; I'm just not sure I should say I won't be on the highway.

So, first off, tell me your opinion and experiences with the V Star. Which variation (custom, classic, etc etc?), when you got it, how you've used it, all that jazz.

Secondly, what are some alternative bikes I might like, if the V Star isn't the best choice for me? I'm open to anything at this point, I'm a long way from actually getting a bike.

Thanks in advance. Until I get my bike, I'll have to stick with my current ride:

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#2 Unread post by jstark47 »

There's a few V-Star riders here, forum member 'blues2cruise' comes immediately to mind. If she doesn't see this and answer, shoot her a PM.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

-Curly-
Elite
Elite

#3 Unread post by -Curly- »

2006 Yamaha VStar Custom
Green Knights Motorcycle Club
"Freedom Through Service"

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#4 Unread post by blues2cruise »

I got your PM.
The V-Star 650 is a good starter bike that will see you through a few years. It may be a bit heavier than a Honda Rebel...but don't let the 650cc size scare you.
The 650 V-Star will not overpower you and yet it has enough power to pack it up and go on a trip with it.

It also has enough power for passing and entering a freeway. The only place I found it lacking was if I didn't have the speed up high enough or enough rpm's at the bottom of a long hill on the highway (such as being stuck behind a motor home) then the bike would not gain the rpm's back until the hill levelled out. BUT>>>>>if the road ahead is clear and I get the speed and rpm's up before starting the hill, then the bike would zip up with no problem.
Classic or custom? Up to you. I prefer the look of the classic. It is only a bit heavier than the custom. I also like the floorboards on the classic. The custom has footpegs.

The bike may feel heavy the first few times you ride it, but that is only until you get used to maneuvering a motorcycle. Once you get used to it, you will start to think it is quite nimble.

I hope that helps. :)

flw
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: '98 Honda Goldwing GL1500se

#5 Unread post by flw »

It a bike you won't need or really want to get rid of after your 1st season. It also has those nice floor boards for med/longer rides.

I currently use a Vulcan 500 which cost alot less if new but also is not as smooth of a ride as the V-star 650 due to weight/suspension and those floor boards. My seat design also sucks and there are no aftermarket replacements.

Before buying any bike, I would verify what type of accessories are available for that bike so if your seat or something else needs a upgrade, you know ahead of time what is and isn't available.

My bike was only intended for a few years and 90% rides of less than 75 miles each (Due to seat and no one to ride with)
Goldwing 1500se '98
VN500 LTD '07 Sold

Kuhnfyoozed
Veteran
Veteran

#6 Unread post by Kuhnfyoozed »

From what I've read, V Star OEM parts and aftermarket parts are all over the place. I found one in my favorite color (purple) that would be awesome, if it would stick around on craigslist for 9 more months :lol:

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#7 Unread post by jstark47 »

There will be more V-Stars if that one gets sold. My local (south Jersey) craigslist is pretty small, but there are four V-stars out there for sale right now! It's a popular bike.
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

paul246
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#8 Unread post by paul246 »

My wife had the 650 Custom and really enjoyed it. It was an easy riding and comfortable bike. She had no problem cruising all day. The bike had adequate power.
There is no such thing as a bad motorcycle.

Honda XR650L Dual-Sport

big_ry_ry
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 19
My Motorcycle: 2007 yamaha VStar 1100 classic

#9 Unread post by big_ry_ry »

I personally drove the 1100 classic but my buddy has a 650 classic and I did take it for a little cruise. I thought it was a nice bike it does have a decent amount of power. I thought it was lite compared to mine but thats my opinon. I thought it was comfortable and I would recomend it for a beginner bike. I did not take it on any big hills but it was nice and there are a ton of extra's you can buy. The only modification I would do is the oil relocation kit if that applies to the 650 motor....
The owner loves it and has never said anything bad about it his is I belive a 2001 and he bought it a year old and has never had any issues. I persopnally don't believe the maintenance is a big deal on these as well.
Hope you enjoy I love my 1100!!

Honda Shadow is also A bike i liked

paul246
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#10 Unread post by paul246 »

big_ry_ry wrote:I personally drove the 1100 classic but my buddy has a 650 classic and I did take it for a little cruise. I thought it was a nice bike it does have a decent amount of power. I thought it was lite compared to mine but thats my opinon. I thought it was comfortable and I would recomend it for a beginner bike. I did not take it on any big hills but it was nice and there are a ton of extra's you can buy. The only modification I would do is the oil relocation kit if that applies to the 650 motor....The owner loves it and has never said anything bad about it his is I belive a 2001 and he bought it a year old and has never had any issues. I persopnally don't believe the maintenance is a big deal on these as well.
Hope you enjoy I love my 1100!!

Honda Shadow is also A bike i liked
No need for an oil filter relocation kit on the 650 models.
There is no such thing as a bad motorcycle.

Honda XR650L Dual-Sport