ARE HARLEYS WHAT THEY ARE CRACKED UP TO BE?

mogster
Legendary 750
Legendary 750
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: Speed Triple 1050 se '09

Re: ARE HARLEYS WHAT THEY ARE CRACKED UP TO BE?

Unread post by mogster » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:35 am

Don't know much about HD's but most are a bit too "in your face" for my taste.

As regards investment - surely unless you are buying a classic/vintage vehicle any purchase will depreciate.

Before I bought my Triumph (new) we looked at the seconhand market, but felt that the prices were too high. So I guess some brands do hold a premium price but that will depend on locality, market & probably how active/supportve local dealers are.
MOG
:party:

The roar of her mighty TRIUMPH was heard throughout the land

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Unread post by totalmotorcycle » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:49 am

mogster wrote:Don't know much about HD's but most are a bit too "in your face" for my taste.

As regards investment - surely unless you are buying a classic/vintage vehicle any purchase will depreciate.

Before I bought my Triumph (new) we looked at the seconhand market, but felt that the prices were too high. So I guess some brands do hold a premium price but that will depend on locality, market & probably how active/supportve local dealers are.
Harley-Davidson's (note, Harley-Davidson does get "mad" if people use HD with out the H-D or Harley, with out the Harley-Davidson) are indeed pricey used. But that means they are harder to sell as for a small % more you can buy a new one. So I do not know how much of an "investment" a bike is if no one will buy it from you as a new one is just a little more (or cheaper).

I prefer used myself unless there is no real savings to buy used.

Mike
2017 Motorcycle Model Guides
2016 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

Gummiente
Years Riding: 35
My Motorcycle: '15 HD Road Glide

Unread post by Gummiente » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:08 am

RockBottom wrote:You're not implying I should actually READ a whole thread before butting in, are you??
No, seriously, I'm sure I read that somewhere before. Like I said, deja vu. I went through some of the old posts on the forum but can't find anything, so maybe it was on another forum...? Anyway, no worries. Just making an observation, is all.
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
'15 Road Glide
"If loud pipes really did save lives, imagine what you
could accomplish if you learned how to ride that thing"

Gummiente
Years Riding: 35
My Motorcycle: '15 HD Road Glide

Unread post by Gummiente » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:10 am

mogster wrote:Don't know much about HD's but most are a bit too "in your face" for my taste.
And the Triumph Rocket III comes on like a meek little kitten? :whistling: :)
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
'15 Road Glide
"If loud pipes really did save lives, imagine what you
could accomplish if you learned how to ride that thing"

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

Unread post by totalmotorcycle » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:34 am

Gummiente wrote:
The Triumph Rocket III is definately an in-your-face bike. I think the other manufacturers are making even more "in your face" bike designs than Harley-Davidson is today. Take a look at Victory or Yamaha for example.

Let's do a photo shoot comparison. I picked 5 simular bikes from the same year (2011) from different motorcycle manufacturers with stand out paint jobs... Which one stands out the most?

2011 Harley-Davidson FXDWG Dyna Wide Glide
http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2 ... eGlide.htm

2011 Victory Vegas Jackpot
http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2 ... ackpot.htm

2011 Yamaha RaiderS VX1900S
http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2 ... X1900S.htm

2011 Suzuki Boulevard M109R Limited Edition
http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2 ... dition.htm

2011 Honda Fury VT1300CX
http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2 ... 1300CX.htm

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

mogster
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

Unread post by mogster » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:28 am

Gummiente wrote:

Maybe it's a language thing, just because a bike is big doesn't necessarily make it brash in my view. Nor does a bike being noisy immediately turn me off (I love the sound of a Ducatti or an old Norton).
The Triumph Rocket III is big but discreet in sound + elegant in sleek lines.

What I object to is the seeming need of most H-D riders to fit loud pipes & often to customise with flashy paintwork, & ride around in packs, (maybe that's only in UK)?
The combined effect is to me brash, uncooth & "in your face". Some fairly small H-D's would fall into this category so it's not really relevant to state size of bike alone.

Anyway that's my opinion. Maybe (hopefully) the H-D community will prove me wrong, but seeing as they won't even acknowledge non H-D riders (over here), then I shan't hold my breath.
MOG

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

Unread post by totalmotorcycle » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:52 am

mogster wrote:Maybe it's a language thing, just because a bike is big doesn't necessarily make it brash in my view. Nor does a bike being noisy immediately turn me off (I love the sound of a Ducatti or an old Norton).
The Triumph Rocket III is big but discreet in sound + elegant in sleek lines.

What I object to is the seeming need of most H-D riders to fit loud pipes & often to customise with flashy paintwork, & ride around in packs, (maybe that's only in UK)?
The combined effect is to me brash, uncooth & "in your face". Some fairly small H-D's would fall into this category so it's not really relevant to state size of bike alone.

Anyway that's my opinion. Maybe (hopefully) the H-D community will prove me wrong, but seeing as they won't even acknowledge non H-D riders (over here), then I shan't hold my breath.
I completly see where you are coming from on this and I do agree. Although I do not see many Harley-Davidson's here in the UK, mostly sport standards in and around London. I would imagine the UK roads (being very twisty) are not the most natural for a long wheelbase cruiser. I don't see a problem though with any make of bike riding in a pack, I think that's kinda cool myself. :D

This reminds me of the day I dropped off the 2010 Harley-Davidson Fat Bob at Kane's H-D in calgary with 7 other big Harley's (in our group) and as we shut them off and talked for a bit another H-D rider left Kane's with straight pipes, I guess he had to show off a bit and blasted it off in the parking lot and out into the street (deafining). We all turns (all us media types) and said, that was really UNCOOL.

For the record, no matter what bike I ride, I wave. The unique thing I found about riding the H-D was everyone I waved at waved back.

Mike

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

Unread post by HYPERR » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:50 pm

totalmotorcycle wrote:The unique thing I found about riding the H-D was everyone I waved at waved back.
Well obviously there's a very logical reason for that. :laughing:
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

fatbobrider
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2009 H-D FatBob

Unread post by fatbobrider » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:38 pm

1) Brian's Harley is expensive. When I bought my bike in 2009 the identical bike was 1000 dollars less at a dealer nearby. Unfortnately that place had to shutdown.
2) Are HD's the most reliable, fastest, hold there value or better than others? Probably not. Ride my bike about 15000 miles a year, just love it and think its worth every penny. It has style.

Gereke
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: 2005 Suzuki Boulevard S40

Unread post by Gereke » Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:51 pm

Gummiente wrote:
RockBottom wrote:You're not implying I should actually READ a whole thread before butting in, are you??
No, seriously, I'm sure I read that somewhere before. Like I said, deja vu. I went through some of the old posts on the forum but can't find anything, so maybe it was on another forum...? Anyway, no worries. Just making an observation, is all.
I think it was this thread... Just finished reading it awhile ago. Some of the discussion was about the image being sold rather than the hardware itself.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14034

As someone that's looking to get into the sport, I've been spending far too much of my free time reading threads on this forum (new and old) to gather information.

jeepster
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Years Riding: 50
My Motorcycle: road star midnite

Unread post by jeepster » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:03 pm

i just sold a 07 fat boy, had it one year. always had metric in the past. put 5500 miles on it last summer, sold it last week, bought a road star 1700. yamaha is better handling,better tranny,not clunkey like the harley was. rides smoother, more comfortabe, softer seat. better access to handle bar controls. it did hold it's value better. but the riding experience was dissapointing. i've been riding over 50 yrs. this was a big dissapointment. very expensive to repair,more maintanance,oil and filters cost more, from dealer. was very dissatisfied with harley. your paying for the name, more than the ride. just an opinion.

Hornhonker
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: 03 Hyabusa, 10 GW 1800

Unread post by Hornhonker » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:47 pm

Loved the comfort of my 110ci ultra classic but will not revisit HD until they water cool.
2012 BMW K1600GT
2008 Burgman 650EX

mogster
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

Unread post by mogster » Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:12 pm

No
MOG

BobK
Legendary
Legendary
Years Riding: 43
My Motorcycle: Harley-Davidson XR1200

Unread post by BobK » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:34 am

Yes.

madjak30
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2006 Yamaha MT-01

Unread post by madjak30 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:06 am

All this talk about H-D being so expensive...check the price of the Sportster against the competition...very similar, if not lower in price than most. They are a well made bike, that have some of the best fuelling on the market...but I'm not a fan of their styling for the most part...I do like the Vrod though! There are very few bikes that sound as good as a H-D, but too many guys go to straight pipes and then they just are loud and crappy sounding...I prefer the looks of the Victory line or the Yamaha cruisers, but I'm not a cruiser guy...yet...maybe when I turn 50?

For me there are three things that matter when buying...styling/sound, comfort and price...I really couldn't care less what the badge says, and why would it matter? If I like it, it's comfortable & the price is right then it's the right bike for me...end of story.

Quit being a bunch of bike snobs & just join the biker community to enjoy the ride, not look down your nose at others...

My 2 cents!

Later.
-=-= Remember, if you're not having fun you're doing it wrong!! =-=-

Tony216
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 08 S3, 04XB12, 09 SRFitty

Unread post by Tony216 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:19 pm

I race a Buell XB and owned a Dyna. I don't think they are the highest quality motorcycle in the world. But parts are CHEAP, insurance was cheap and you can buy low and sell high pretty easily with Harleys.

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

Unread post by dr_bar » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:49 pm

I see this thing has been dragged up out of the gutter again. I wish people would respect other peoples choices in what they ride without slamming the make or model of their choice. It's is topics like this one that lost us one of our long time, extremely knowledgeable members. Some of us ride Yamaha's, some ride Hondas, others ride Harleys. Accept it, and don't feel the need to abuse someone else because they don't have the same preferences as you...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

Hanson
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2014 Suzuki V-Strom 650

Unread post by Hanson » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:43 am

+1 dr_bar
ImageImage

BRUMBEAR
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2009 Buell 1125 CR

Unread post by BRUMBEAR » Wed May 01, 2013 5:55 am

To be honest DOC I really do but as a Buell guy I have a moral imperative to scootch Harley whenever possible. :mrgreen: I have owned them in the past I will own them again XR1200 is a great bike but I will always remember Image
there aint nothin like it

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

Unread post by totalmotorcycle » Wed May 01, 2013 10:04 am

Well since BRUMBEAR brought this topic up again I have to add:

I was seriously considering a Harley-Davidson Fat Bob as my next bike (I ended up buying the Moto Guzzi V7 Stone instead) and even took a 2013 Harley-Davidson Fat Bob for a test ride with the new 103 cubic inch engine. I did made an offer on it that was rejected and that week I took out a Moto Guzzi and fell in love; so if it wasn't for the MG, then I might be riding a H-D right now. The Fat Bob is a very nice bike, the 103 was a little better (but not really super better) than the 96. You can feel the quality of Harley-Davidson there is no doubt and in fact prices for them have been getting more reasonable (well, some models anyways). For used I would say there are much better values in Japanese cruiser bikes out there, but new prices (new vs new) I would say H-D is competitive considering what you get in the brand. H-D has a special style to it and sound. If you like it and are willing to pay for that, awesome. If you want more something more then there are 30+ other manufacturers out there willing to sell you it. :revv:

But as Dr_Bar said, we have to be respectful on a riders bike decisions. They made a choice for them, not for you. :D

Mike