ARE HARLEYS WHAT THEY ARE CRACKED UP TO BE?

mogster
Legendary 750
Legendary 750
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: Speed Triple 1050 se '09

Re: ARE HARLEYS WHAT THEY ARE CRACKED UP TO BE?

#101 Unread post by mogster »

Don't know much about HD's but most are a bit too "in your face" for my taste.

As regards investment - surely unless you are buying a classic/vintage vehicle any purchase will depreciate.

Before I bought my Triumph (new) we looked at the seconhand market, but felt that the prices were too high. So I guess some brands do hold a premium price but that will depend on locality, market & probably how active/supportve local dealers are.
MOG
:party:

The roar of her mighty TRIUMPH was heard throughout the land

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#102 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

mogster wrote:Don't know much about HD's but most are a bit too "in your face" for my taste.

As regards investment - surely unless you are buying a classic/vintage vehicle any purchase will depreciate.

Before I bought my Triumph (new) we looked at the seconhand market, but felt that the prices were too high. So I guess some brands do hold a premium price but that will depend on locality, market & probably how active/supportve local dealers are.
Harley-Davidson's (note, Harley-Davidson does get "mad" if people use HD with out the H-D or Harley, with out the Harley-Davidson) are indeed pricey used. But that means they are harder to sell as for a small % more you can buy a new one. So I do not know how much of an "investment" a bike is if no one will buy it from you as a new one is just a little more (or cheaper).

I prefer used myself unless there is no real savings to buy used.

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

Gummiente
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#103 Unread post by Gummiente »

RockBottom wrote:You're not implying I should actually READ a whole thread before butting in, are you??
No, seriously, I'm sure I read that somewhere before. Like I said, deja vu. I went through some of the old posts on the forum but can't find anything, so maybe it was on another forum...? Anyway, no worries. Just making an observation, is all.
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

Gummiente
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#104 Unread post by Gummiente »

mogster wrote:Don't know much about HD's but most are a bit too "in your face" for my taste.
And the Triumph Rocket III comes on like a meek little kitten? :whistling: :)
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#105 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Gummiente wrote:
The Triumph Rocket III is definately an in-your-face bike. I think the other manufacturers are making even more "in your face" bike designs than Harley-Davidson is today. Take a look at Victory or Yamaha for example.

Let's do a photo shoot comparison. I picked 5 simular bikes from the same year (2011) from different motorcycle manufacturers with stand out paint jobs... Which one stands out the most?

2011 Harley-Davidson FXDWG Dyna Wide Glide
http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2 ... eGlide.htm

2011 Victory Vegas Jackpot
http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2 ... ackpot.htm

2011 Yamaha RaiderS VX1900S
http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2 ... X1900S.htm

2011 Suzuki Boulevard M109R Limited Edition
http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2 ... dition.htm

2011 Honda Fury VT1300CX
http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2 ... 1300CX.htm

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

mogster
Legendary 750
Legendary 750
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: Speed Triple 1050 se '09

#106 Unread post by mogster »

Gummiente wrote:

Maybe it's a language thing, just because a bike is big doesn't necessarily make it brash in my view. Nor does a bike being noisy immediately turn me off (I love the sound of a Ducatti or an old Norton).
The Triumph Rocket III is big but discreet in sound + elegant in sleek lines.

What I object to is the seeming need of most H-D riders to fit loud pipes & often to customise with flashy paintwork, & ride around in packs, (maybe that's only in UK)?
The combined effect is to me brash, uncooth & "in your face". Some fairly small H-D's would fall into this category so it's not really relevant to state size of bike alone.

Anyway that's my opinion. Maybe (hopefully) the H-D community will prove me wrong, but seeing as they won't even acknowledge non H-D riders (over here), then I shan't hold my breath.
MOG
:party:

The roar of her mighty TRIUMPH was heard throughout the land

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator

#107 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

mogster wrote:Maybe it's a language thing, just because a bike is big doesn't necessarily make it brash in my view. Nor does a bike being noisy immediately turn me off (I love the sound of a Ducatti or an old Norton).
The Triumph Rocket III is big but discreet in sound + elegant in sleek lines.

What I object to is the seeming need of most H-D riders to fit loud pipes & often to customise with flashy paintwork, & ride around in packs, (maybe that's only in UK)?
The combined effect is to me brash, uncooth & "in your face". Some fairly small H-D's would fall into this category so it's not really relevant to state size of bike alone.

Anyway that's my opinion. Maybe (hopefully) the H-D community will prove me wrong, but seeing as they won't even acknowledge non H-D riders (over here), then I shan't hold my breath.
I completly see where you are coming from on this and I do agree. Although I do not see many Harley-Davidson's here in the UK, mostly sport standards in and around London. I would imagine the UK roads (being very twisty) are not the most natural for a long wheelbase cruiser. I don't see a problem though with any make of bike riding in a pack, I think that's kinda cool myself. :D

This reminds me of the day I dropped off the 2010 Harley-Davidson Fat Bob at Kane's H-D in calgary with 7 other big Harley's (in our group) and as we shut them off and talked for a bit another H-D rider left Kane's with straight pipes, I guess he had to show off a bit and blasted it off in the parking lot and out into the street (deafining). We all turns (all us media types) and said, that was really UNCOOL.

For the record, no matter what bike I ride, I wave. The unique thing I found about riding the H-D was everyone I waved at waved back.

Mike

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#108 Unread post by HYPERR »

totalmotorcycle wrote:The unique thing I found about riding the H-D was everyone I waved at waved back.
Well obviously there's a very logical reason for that. :laughing:
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

fatbobrider
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2009 H-D FatBob

#109 Unread post by fatbobrider »

1) Brian's Harley is expensive. When I bought my bike in 2009 the identical bike was 1000 dollars less at a dealer nearby. Unfortnately that place had to shutdown.
2) Are HD's the most reliable, fastest, hold there value or better than others? Probably not. Ride my bike about 15000 miles a year, just love it and think its worth every penny. It has style.

Gereke
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: 2005 Suzuki Boulevard S40

#110 Unread post by Gereke »

Gummiente wrote:
RockBottom wrote:You're not implying I should actually READ a whole thread before butting in, are you??
No, seriously, I'm sure I read that somewhere before. Like I said, deja vu. I went through some of the old posts on the forum but can't find anything, so maybe it was on another forum...? Anyway, no worries. Just making an observation, is all.
I think it was this thread... Just finished reading it awhile ago. Some of the discussion was about the image being sold rather than the hardware itself.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14034

As someone that's looking to get into the sport, I've been spending far too much of my free time reading threads on this forum (new and old) to gather information.