what's the story with Buells

keysman
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male

#41 Unread post by keysman »

scanevalexec wrote:I'll have to take one for a spin and let you all know.
Not if I beat you to it.
New Hotness: 2005 Yamaha FJR1300
Old & Busted: 2003 BMW F650CS

keysman

#42 Unread post by keysman »

Well I had a chance to see the new Ulysses in person today and I took a bunch of photos and posted them here. Have a look.

Photo Gallery

This is a very nice bike.

bikeguy joe
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#43 Unread post by bikeguy joe »

Not a big fan of the early work, but the Ulysses has passenger space, a place for bags, small wind protection, and a pretty radical face. I'll have to take one for a spin and let you all know.

Not to mention the new tranny!

scan
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: 2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R

#44 Unread post by scan »

Here's my story about a trip to see a Buell. I really thought in this area there had to be a place to get a look at the new Buell up close. Dayton is not a huge city, but it is pretty big. I started with the Buell web site and found F&S Harley just north of the city. They don't list their selection available online, and I didn't feel like checking ahead on the phone. That might take away my excuse for riding somewhere.

I also decided to check Google and see if anything else would come up. If you haven't tried it before, local.google.com is a pretty good tool for finding business near you. In this case it was kind of funny though. F&S came up, but also a couple other Harley dealers came up too, but neither carries Buell. I guess that must have just been a search engine association. Interesting though. Glad I knew those dealers didn't have Buells before I headed off.

Anyway, an hour later and a sweet ride across from the Springfield area to northern Dayton I arrived at F&S. They had about 20 bikes out in front of the Harley/Buell store, and next door they also have a Suzuki store, which also had about 10 or 15 bikes out front. The buildings are hooked together, but have there own front entrances. They also have an internal hallway linking the two stores. Funny seeing this unity between an "All American" company and Japanese seller.

Out front of the Harley place they had 4 Buells. 2 XB12S bikes and 2 Blasts. Also there were about 10 883 Sportsters and there rest were big ole pigs. I thought they must have more inside. Nope. Inside was every possible collection of Harley accessories, with most of it being clothing. The salesman ignored me walking in, and not as much as a hello from any employee. I walked to the Suzuki side, and they actually had bike and bike accessories over there, but no Buells.

I went to the dude at the desk who looked to be a salesman to ask about the XB12X. Another guy had just walked up before me to ask about another bike. The guy who apparently worked there didn't look up at the other customer. He told him that when they had the bike in stock, he'd see it here. I could see where this was going. I asked about the Buell and got the same answer. How stupid that this guy was not even interested in stoking the fire of future buyers. The guy before me was around 60 years old, and for all the guy at the desk knew he had the cash on him for a deposit. Both I and this guy left disappointed.

I jumped on my bike and realized I would not be coming back to see the bike if it showed up here. I'll find a different place to see it, and I'm not really in the market to start thinking of buying right away anyhow. I hate how Harley can be however they want and still get customers. Seems like you have to kiss there a$$ just to get help. There might be better Harley dealers out there, and I have no doubt that is true. I have been to a few myself and the story is always the same. The stores I've seen all have mostly clothing, only a few bikes, and people working there that you would have to beg to be interested. My multi-brand dealer will keep me coming back for more, especially after this reminder how much it can $uck.
* 2003 Kawasaki ZRX1200R *
"What good fortune for those of us in power that people do not think. " Hitler - think about that one for a minute.

keysman

#45 Unread post by keysman »

I think there are a few Buell only or in my area there is a Buell / Ducati dealership. I have not been there yet but I am expecting a lot more from this dealer than the HD / Buell combo dealers. I did see the Ulysees at the HD dealer in my area and I would say that my experience wasn't too bad. I would not say it was great though either and I have heard many stories like yours. In a lot of shops the Buells are the red headed step childern and that's really too bad for the brand. If they are going to seel some bikes they need to figure out how to break free from this problem and really promote Buell as it's "own" brand.

jmillheiser
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500

#46 Unread post by jmillheiser »

Our local Buell shop is the same way. with this shop (sells Harley, Buell, Honda, Ski/Sea Doo) 80% of the space devoted to bikes is for harleys, most of the floor space is for accessories, they have a few hondas on the floor, and about 3 buells tucked into the corner, and their seasonal stuff (ATVs and PWCs in spring/summer, and sleds in the fall/winter).

The other local dealers are much better laid out with one exception, the Kawasaki shop has a wide selection of bikes and will put their entry level stuff on the floor (they have both Ninja 250s and 500s on the floor). The Yamaha shop has a few top end bikes, but is 99% dirtbikes, ATVs, and PWCs. The suzuki shop also carries Polaris/Victory and has a good layout and will have the full suzuki line out on the floor.

So cheyenne isn't too bad a place to go bike shopping unless you are looking for Buell, Honda, or a Yamaha road bike.

paul246
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#47 Unread post by paul246 »

V4underme wrote:I test rode the XB12 recently during the big test ride promotion.

First, the good:

sound... the exhaust design produces a really nice snarl

power... really good jump off idle and at speed, no problems passing cars

brakes... darn thing stops on a dime

now for what I didn't like:

clutch handle made my hand cramp, it's like trying to bend an iron rod

vibration, the mirrors were completely useless and I felt the vibration from my butt up to my shoulders (salesman was telling me that part of it's Harley background and you get to like it after a while... wtf?)

seating... way to high for me considering the very short wheelbase. I'm 200 lb. and 73" tall, more in my boots, and I felt like a circus bear riding a little bike. Wife said I made the bike look really small.

Gotta get a backpack if you want to carry anything with you.

Some other comments... I hit the brakes kinda hard to test them, and as I said they work great. So well that I almost went over the front of the bike. I think that's a function of really short wheelbase and high seat with a tall-ish rider. Scared the "crumb" out of me. The handling... umm, I guess when you get used to it, or if you are a better rider than I am, it's good. However I can't see it being better than the sportbikes and most of the standards out there.

I also think it's about 2-3k too expensive, just my opinion.

I think Buell has a bike that's great for an urban environment (hence the name CityX) if you don't mind or even enjoy the vibration. It's a unique machine and I can see why many like it. I wouldn't say it's technologically superior to other bikes, a few old builder's tricks don't qualify that, imo.
I have to agree with the above assesment.

I had an opportunity to ride the xb12s on a demo day. Rough and raucous, clanky shifting, lousy ergos, but a wild feel, point and go ride. Same complaint about the clutch lever, literally a pain in traffic. Outside the city we opened up the bikes, sounds great..thought I was really moving until I checked the clock...just passing a 100 km/h??? Too funny. As a side note, I missed my first opportunity to ride this bike because it broke down while the rider ahead of me was out on it. My ride was OK until I returned to the parking lot, it never re-emerged from the shop that day.

A week later I was test riding Suzukis. Seriously, anyone in the least interested in the Buells' must ride the Suzuki SV1000S as well. This is also a V-Twin, albeit a 90 degree V. This is one wicked torque meister that is so rapid and quick handling that it will make your wig spin. We rode the same course as we did with the Buells and I just can't emphasize enough what a terrific bike the SV1000S is, absolutely light years ahead of any Buell. It outpowers, out handles, out stops 'em, way better ergos and comfort, a smooth and light action clutch, absolutely flawless shifting and a rousing howl of power from the twin exhaust.

I actually fell back in love with V-Twins and considered buying this bike, except that the riding position is just too young for my old back. I may compromise and buy the 1000cc V-Strom instead.

Another great bike I would include in this class of street fighters is the Honda 919... gut wrenching power in the low and mid-range, superb handling and brakes and perfect (for me) ergos. Could ride that baby all day.
There is no such thing as a bad motorcycle.

Honda XR650L Dual-Sport

slamMojo
Rookie
Rookie

#48 Unread post by slamMojo »

scanevalexec wrote:
keysman wrote:I talked to a local dealer and they are suppoed to have a new Ulysses to look at tomorrow. I may just have to go up to the dealer and take a look. I was checking out some other boards and this bike seems to be generating a lot of buzz. There is an article in the September Cycle World that has nothing but praise for the new bike. If I do get to see one I will do my best to get some photos and post them here.
I saw the review too. Have to admit they have me looking their way. I sort of took a shine to the CityX and the Ulysses looks even cooler. I think maybe Eric's company is evolving - and may give the rest of the bike world a run for the money. Sounds like Buell is a modern inovative company not affraid to try new ideas, and not affraid to make mistakes. Not a big fan of the early work, but the Ulysses has passenger space, a place for bags, small wind protection, and a pretty radical face. I'll have to take one for a spin and let you all know.
I don't think it is Eric's company any more. I believe H-D bought out his interest and now hold 100% of the company. Eric was retained as a designer/consultant because Harley management knows a good thing when they see it (sometimes).

oldnslo
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model1983 Yamaha Seca 900

#49 Unread post by oldnslo »

The attitude of some Harley/Buell dealers is atrocious. I guess they have discovered the average buyer of a Harley/Buell is perfectly willing to be treated like dirt to get their fix. Something like dope addicts with a $2000 a day habit. I have seen the same in dealers here in the states as Whyte experienced. Haven't been in a Harley dealership in ten years, but if I ever need another toilet seat, I might consider going to one. I personally think the Harley toilet seat is their best product.
John
"83 XJ900RK

IT'S ABOUT OIL, MONEY, AND POWER, ALL OF THE TIME.

redbar1
Rookie
Rookie

#50 Unread post by redbar1 »

A family friend has a Blast. She likes it. I rode one last year. It seemed OK. Buell has a great looking sport-touring model that just came out. However, apparently, the big question with Buell products is mechanical reliability. I did a little searching and found a website, www.mybuell.com, which has some negative things to say. I do not stand behind what is said on that site; I think the guy has a not-so-hidden agenda. I mention it FYI.