what's the story with Buells

mysta2
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Sex: Male

what's the story with Buells

#1 Unread post by mysta2 »

At first I was a bit cold on the look of most Buells, but I've really taken to the XB9R. It doesn't seem that you hear much about Buells, I'm statring to look into one as a second bike, I love how naked they are, how different the firebolt looks from other sport bikes out there, how centralized they are, and you can't beat the sound of a twin (I like my machines to rumble... not scream)

anyway, I'd love to get some peoples opinions on them, it would be my first venture into american vehicle ownership (right now I have a Toyota MR2 a Honda accord and a Honda CL 360... and the MR2 might get sold to make room for the bike)

thanks

Aggroton
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#2 Unread post by Aggroton »

i love them...ive only ridden my friends blast while he was detailing my car for a weekend...but man...was it fast...face melting fast...but i ride a 550 so what do i know...it was really comfortable...i rode 4 hours pretty much straight the one day just here there and back again...i think we need to see more buells on the road.
thats a sweet bike.

HypeDOG
Veteran
Veteran

#3 Unread post by HypeDOG »

Aggroton wrote:i love them...ive only ridden my friends blast while he was detailing my car for a weekend...but man...was it fast...face melting fast...but i ride a 550 so what do i know...it was really comfortable...i rode 4 hours pretty much straight the one day just here there and back again...i think we need to see more buells on the road.
Good deal, he details your car and you ride his bike for 4 hours. :D :mrgreen: :D
Sly

05 Suzuki SV650
05 Mini Cooper

[url=http://thegamebrain.blogspot.com]My blog[/url]

BuzZz
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#4 Unread post by BuzZz »

I love Buells. The concept, the look, the riding position, torquey motor.... great fun..... in theory. I've never ridden one, but wouldn't hesitate to pick one if the Motorcycle Fairy stopped by my place tonight(but I'd take a 12 :wink: ). Some people have had mechanical problems with them, but that was older models and I'm not sure how much of what you hear is real, and how much is hype.
No Witnesses.... :shifty:

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#5 Unread post by Sev »

Sitting on them at the bike show was a hell of a lot of fun. FAlling off one ask BuzZz for the pic) was a hell of a lot of fun.
Looking at the price tag was SCARY!
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

Buelligan
Elite
Elite

#6 Unread post by Buelligan »

We definately need more Buells out there, they are the most fun you can have with your clothes on!!

My first bike was the Buell Blast, had a problem with a bit of an oil leak, otherwise I love it, but didn't take too long before I wanted a bit more power.

I test drove the XB12 and the XB9 and just loved the XB9S, I have owned it since last summer, and the only complain I have is there is no where to carry everything, but I solved the problem when my husband bought a Honda with Saddle Bags :D

The Buell was made for twisty mountain roads and I love the handling, I ride regardless of weather and find it has awesome handling even in the pouring rain. Steering on my bike is more a thought than an action, I think everyone should take one for a test drive, but then I guess I'm biased!!!!

Anyone else out there got a Buell or taken one for a test drive, love to hear some other opinions!!!

Cheers,
Jan

HypeDOG
Veteran
Veteran

#7 Unread post by HypeDOG »

Rode one for my course for a few hours one day. It's what made me reconsider my need for a cruiser. After riding one a Blast around some cones and playing around with it thorugh some of the drills, I appreciated how much easier it felt than the Rebels, Vulcans and Savages we also had at our disposal. Very fun little bike. :D
Sly

05 Suzuki SV650
05 Mini Cooper

[url=http://thegamebrain.blogspot.com]My blog[/url]

Murphey
Rookie
Rookie

#8 Unread post by Murphey »

I am looking at the 900 firebolt myself. It looks like the perfect motorcycle for me on paper decent power, ingenious engineering, and wow 65 mpg! I lean more towards sport touring than streetfighting, and have really been satisfied with reviews...but Buell has had horrible proplems in the past.

I am interested in if they still work after 30K miles, my ninja was perfect...might go back. I average about 15 to 18 thousand miles a year. What are other bikes I should be looking at?

huh
Elite
Elite

Re: what's the story with Buells

#9 Unread post by huh »

mysta2 wrote:At first I was a bit cold on the look of most Buells, but I've really taken to the XB9R. It doesn't seem that you hear much about Buells, I'm statring to look into one as a second bike, I love how naked they are, how different the firebolt looks from other sport bikes out there, how centralized they are, and you can't beat the sound of a twin (I like my machines to rumble... not scream)

anyway, I'd love to get some peoples opinions on them, it would be my first venture into american vehicle ownership (right now I have a Toyota MR2 a Honda accord and a Honda CL 360... and the MR2 might get sold to make room for the bike)

thanks

i flogged the best they offer and i give them 4 thumbs down!!!! i mean really own the corners????????? compared to what?? when i brought back the xb12 the guys were slack jawed that the chicken strips were gone!!

they suck for road racing thats why you dont hear of them. transmission is horrible and thats just not my opinion. the engine sucks. my 6k$ bandit 1200 would out run it anywere including the bottom end. its onl 1157cc compared to 1203.

the super fast handling?? try massive head shake exiting corners at high speeds. but i expected that from the stupid 21 degree rake and the 88mm of trail.

if they were the best handling bike you would see them in moto gp and superbike. but not a one. imean if you make claims that you have the best cornering bike out there then you need to back it up.

maybe if all your used to is a sportster 1200 then yeah you might be impressed. come to think of it i will fill my bandit frame up with fuel and call it the most technically advaced bike in the world.

oh and the price! make it no more the 8k for the 12 and maybe. but if you like twins go get a RC51 and spank your buddy's buell. 6,500 rpm redline?? wtf i was waiting to get the bike more upright cause i needed to shift mid-corner. nice for a canyon carver! the xb9 was better due to the 7.5k redline and the lighter engine internals made it a little more eager to rev.

conclusion= not worth the money. there are better bikes out there for less coin
say what

Buelligan
Elite
Elite

#10 Unread post by Buelligan »

Well Huh,

I do believe some some of the earlier Buells did have some mechanical problems, however I don't think thats applicable to the current models. Besides which the bike comes with a 2 year warranty (most only have a year) regardeless of mileage.

I did my homework before buying this bike (didn't however ride a sportster not my kind of bike) but did test drive almost everything out there I thought I might like to ride , and the bottom line was I liked the Buell better.

So far as cornering goes, this is a great bike, far as I'm concerned, and thats my opinion. And to date, I have never been left behind!! :shock:

Bikes are as individual as the people that ride them, and the only way to really know, if to get out there and test drive.

Cheers,
Jan