the right small-mid sized bike for the job

bv99
Rookie
Rookie

the right small-mid sized bike for the job

#1 Unread post by bv99 »

Hello, all. I'm a 32 year old guy, riding since college but cycle-less for 7 years, and now starting to look for another bike, my third. I know there are plenty of people with experience with other bikes here, so I'm looking for suggestions. I'm looking for a used bike in the 500-650cc range, something along the lines of a standard. I would use it basically to drive from San Diego to L.A. (120+ miles each way) once a month or so, and then more frequently on local trips around San Diego. I want it to be comfortable enough for me (and a passenger from time to time) to be able to make the longer trips, but good on gas, as well as light and controllable enough to work well in city traffic. My last bike was a Seca II, which I'm thinking about again, but I also am considering other bikes that are a few years old like the W650 (probably my favorite as far as looks), the SV650S, the Bandit 600, the Ducati Monster 600, the GS500F, and the slightly bigger ZR-7. Thanks for any suggestions.

MASHBY
Legendary 750
Legendary 750
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 2012 Harley ElectraGlide

#2 Unread post by MASHBY »

I think with the 120 mile trip.A faring would be a must.So ZR-7S would be ideal.They are a very underated bike and very reliable as far as I have been told.Also the Bandit 600S wouldnt be a bad choice either.
Four Wheels Good Two Wheels Better

poppygene
Legendary 500
Legendary 500

#3 Unread post by poppygene »

I like Mashby's choices. The SV is a fun bike, for sure, but I wouldn't recommend taking someone you like as a passenger unless it's just around the block. The W650 is a cool bike but you'll pay a premium for a nice one - they're pretty rare and have sort of a cult following.
Let me get this straight... it's one down and four up, right?

[img]http://img93.exs.cx/img93/7837/aread0hm.gif[/img]

bv99
Rookie
Rookie

#4 Unread post by bv99 »

Thank you, folks. There are a couple of Bandits for sale around here that I'll probably check out. No ZR-7Ss, though. There's a ZR-7 without the fairing for sale - anyone recommend trying to put an aftermarket fairing on that thing? Or know of a good one?

ZooTech
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
Years Riding: 18
My Motorcycle: Nomad / Ninja 500 / VLX Bobber / C3 / VS

#5 Unread post by ZooTech »

It's an oldie...but a goodie...and since you're gonna use the bike as a commuter, I would recommend the Kawasaki Concours. The bike is relatively small, light, and nimble...has good wind protection, a 1000cc inline 4, bags, and hella good support from the aftermarket. And, it's the least expensive sport-touring bike on the market and can be had pretty inexpensively on the used market.

honda599
Elite
Elite

#6 Unread post by honda599 »

My last bike was a Seca 550, ever considered the Honda 599, a perfect naked Euro Sport Tourer. Check mine out I have mounted a bug screen perfect for highway and touring.

The SV650 is also a nice bike, although I like four cylinders.

DustyJacket
Site Supporter - Platinum

#7 Unread post by DustyJacket »

For a low cost, but nimble option:

My Buell Blast is getting me 68-70 mpg.

I've run it 145 miles at a time, but only today started carrying a passenger, so I don't know how long/far that would last. Kind of depends on weight and what seat.

I added a windshield which helps with the bugs and wind and rain.

Solo, I've had no problems getting up to 85 mph on level ground. On hills, my max is 65-70 mph.

It would be a great city commuter, and very low maintenance, but I am not sure about its suitability for 2 adults at 65 mph for more than an hour or two.
Bikers Against Child Abuse - Kansas City Chapter
www.bacainternational.org

Bill and Pete do the Dragon's Tail at Deal's Gap:
www.dustyjacket.com/dragon/index.html

Gadjet
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 19
My Motorcycle: 2020 KTM 200 Duke

#8 Unread post by Gadjet »

Kawasaki KLR650

I just bought a brand new '05 and it is awesome. easily handles highway speeds and is very light and nimble in traffic. Also is about half the weight of the ZG1000 Concours (600lbs dry weight - not what I would consider a small, light nimble bike).

As a bonus, the KLR gets wicked gas mileage - I went 314km before I decided to fill up last night (hadn't hit reserve yet) and it only took 15.5L - I could have easily gone another 100km before I needed to find gas.
1983 Suzuki GS650GL (sold)
2005 Kawasaki KLR 650 (sold)
2020 KTM 200 Duke
IBA#20953
IG: @greenmanwc

ZooTech
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
Years Riding: 18
My Motorcycle: Nomad / Ninja 500 / VLX Bobber / C3 / VS

#9 Unread post by ZooTech »

WhyteGryphon wrote:ZG1000 Concours (600lbs dry weight - not what I would consider a small, light nimble bike).
When you're used to riding an 800lb cruiser it is. Plus, it's the smallest and most affordable sport tourer and is very versatile. He's planning on using it for 240-mile round trips and some 2-up riding so...I would consider the Concours before ANY 600cc bike.

keysman

#10 Unread post by keysman »

You can find some pretty good prices on used BMW F650s the CS if you want the street version or the GS if you want a dual sport. They are both standards and very nimble. There are luggage options although a little limited on the CS. Both bikes have ABS as an option. It a good bike if your looking for a 650 and I think the only bike in it's class that you can get with ABS. Another option is the Moto Guzzi Breva 750. It's a very cool looking bike. Of course there are plenty of other options out there as well.
New Hotness: 2005 Yamaha FJR1300
Old & Busted: 2003 BMW F650CS