Best of the 600's

Mactizzle
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

Best of the 600's

#1 Unread post by Mactizzle »

I've been looking for a second bike recently (1st was a XR400 made street legal). I have been looking at all the street 600s like the CBR600RR, CBR600F4, GSX-R600, ZX-6R and around this area. Does anyone who has had any experience with any of these bikes have any opinions/suggestions on which one is the best for commuting, twisties, and just getting into the street bike life all together. Thanks
"Teen distrtion, survived abortion, a rebel from the waste down" M.M.

keysman
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum

#2 Unread post by keysman »

I don't have any experience with those bikes but I'm sure someone will be able to help you out.
New Hotness: 2005 Yamaha FJR1300
Old & Busted: 2003 BMW F650CS

Psycluded
Elite
Elite

#3 Unread post by Psycluded »

The F4i is a fantastic bike for everyday commuting, but then again, I'm biased. ;)

I'd avoid race-ready bikes like the CBR600RR and the Gixxer. The aggressive riding position will fatigue you faster in stop and go traffic, regardless of how you sit on them.

The Yamaha R6 is a very comfy bike, but it also has a very aggressive riding position. I'd probably avoid it too, but I'd ride it first and see what you think.

I know NOTHING about the ZX-6R.
-Psycluded-
2005 Honda CBR600F4i - STOLEN
2005 Honda CBR600RR Black Tribal Edition

ronboskz650sr
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#4 Unread post by ronboskz650sr »

If you have the means to choose, Ride 'em all. Still I can't remember ever reading anything about the f4I that would keep me away from it. I've decided I would get one if I could. Nobody speaks ill of them, and I seriously doubt I need more cornering capability. Realistically, how can you miss with the f4i? The ergos are very similar to my son's hurricane, and I absolutely love that bike. I'm actually considering a hurricane project bike for myself now that his is finished.
Ride safe...God bless!
-Ron
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v398/ronboskz650sr/avatartotal.jpg[/img][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v398/ronboskz650sr/wholebikeavatar2.jpg[/img]

TechTMW
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 2005 BMW R1200GS

#5 Unread post by TechTMW »

I agree on the F4i.

I've not ridden the R6 so no comment. The race rep comments are right on target though ... and I found the zx-6r to be the most uncomfortable of the lot. The seat slope and tank position could mean uncomfortable riding on your private 'property' ... they did on mine anyway :shock:
“People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use.”
- Soren Kierkegaard (19th century Danish philosopher)

Mactizzle
Rookie
Rookie

#6 Unread post by Mactizzle »

well it looks like I'll go for the F4 - F4i. I have heard nothing but good things about it. and the other option is the R6, but those seem a little pricey and I think it's a little to much performance for me at this point. Thanks all for the opinions.

ED. what about performance wise. is the R6 too powerful for a 2nd bike?

sleepychicken
Rookie
Rookie

#7 Unread post by sleepychicken »

You may want to look at the new Kawa ZZR-600 and the Yamaha YZF-600R. Both are former top-of-the-line sport bikes, just as the F4 used to be for Honda. I don't know about the ZZR because none of the dealers around here ever have one, but the YZF is a great bike. It's very comfortable, especially compared to a GSX-R or ZX or even my SV650S. Speaking of SV650S... that's another choice. Get it, put the Suzuki lower fairing on it and you have a V-twin sport bike for a lot cheaper than a F4i.

Just for the record though, if money weren't a deciding factor, I would've ended up with an F4i as well. But, I got my '05 SV650S for $6100 out-the-door. The F4i would've been at least $8000 more than likely. Good luck shopping though, I'm sure you'll love whatever you get.

Mactizzle
Rookie
Rookie

#8 Unread post by Mactizzle »

Ya, $$ is a factor, thats why I'm getting an 01' F4i for about $4700. I tried the SV650 and I think it would be to much work to modify right out of the dealership, $$$ wise and labor wise. I just want something that I can enjoy right out of the showroom and upgrade as I go along, not right away. But I was looking at the SV650 and it did seem like a good bike. I just like the way teh F4i rides and looks better. :lol:

slamMojo
Rookie
Rookie

#9 Unread post by slamMojo »

A good, used Suzuki Katana 600 might be a good bike for you. While its technology is a generation (or more) old, it is still a pretty decent performer, and it has more standard ergonomics. That means that the riding position will be a little easier on your back, neck, and shoulders than the more aggressively styled sport bikes you mentioned. If comfort isn't a priority, then go for something a little sportier, but since your street experience is limited, I think you should opt for something with more comfort in case you decide you want to try some distance riding, say a weekend trip. Every bike you look at is a series of compromises. Examine your wants and needs, and then try to best match those with a particular bike.

rodzbike
Elite
Elite

#10 Unread post by rodzbike »

I have a gsxr 750 and I can tell ya...the ergos on it are not good for commuting or long tours. Katana has much better ergos, but is not as powerful as a gixxer. CBR is not too bad as far as ergos and is really fast too.
~~~2000 GXSR 750~~~
~~~2005 VTX 1300C~~~
Dr. Rod of Satan's Barbers MC